Recommended SD cards "no card" Video Assist 5

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JoshuOne Barnes

Recommended SD cards "no card" Video Assist 5

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 1:58 pm

BM Recommended Sandisk extreme pro SD cards are showing up as "no card" in our Blackmagic products! This is an issue with the Video Assist 5" as well as the BMPCC And the VA5 is a product BM still sells. A fix for this issue should apply to the BMPCC also. One note the only cards required for full resolution recording on the VA5 are the extreme pros... When I talked to BM about this issue they said they were aware of the issue, but had no other cards tested in order to recommend... Sandisk was helpful as they have test units and could confirm the newer cards do not work in the VA5, the BMPCC probably as well... Waiting for an update from BM, but in the meantime SanDisk claims the (much much more expensive) UHS-2 cards should work in the VA5... The 128GB cards are $240 a pop! I am awaiting a pair of them in mail and will try to update here if they do indeed work... But really we should not have to pay $$$ to do our own testing to see which cards work since the recommended cards don't... BM should come through with a fix for the pocket and the VA...

carlomacchiavello

Re: Recommended SD cards "no card" Video Assist 5

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Va4k use them without problem to record uhs prores 4:2:2
i had two of them 64gb that i use on gh5 and on va4k to have uncompressed video from it.
first bought in 29 decembre 2016 and second bought in 6 september 2017.
also audio recorder extreme pro 32gb bought in 9 novembre 2014 work fine.

may be that san disk change completely the card production in 2018, probably memory controller or i cannot understand why newer not work.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 6:29 pm

This must be a very recent development; I have a bunch of SanDisk Extreme Pros (64 gig, 128 gig, and 256 gig) that I bought earlier this year (in April and June) and all of them work in my VA 5 as well as my Pocket Cinema and Micro Cinema cameras.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Some of the newer batch cards labeled V30 are having issues, BM is aware of the problem, the issue is more with SanDisk than the BM gear. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81396
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

BrannanIdle

Video Assist devices not recognizing SD cards

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 pm

I currently own three Video Assist devices. Two 5" and one 7". I have used them for about two years with SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB UHS-I cards. I recently purchased four more cards to use with these devices, and none of them show up once inserted. All the cards are identical. The original two work flawlessly, but the new four when inserted, show "loading" on the display and after a few seconds "no card".
All three Video Assists have been updated to firmware 2.5.3 to no avail.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 7:01 pm

This is a known issue, that has to do with the new SanDisk V30 cards. This problem is shared with the original Pocket camera, and the Micro Cinema camera. :(
See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80355&p=462896#p462896
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

andrewc-gb

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm

I took delivery of my Video Assist (5") today, and have been concerned at the apparent scarcity of known-working memory cards. I had ordered three of the approved 128GB SanDisk cards but was sent the newer, V30 version, so I'm returning them!

I'm going to try a Samsung microSDXC card (with adaptor) on Monday when it arrives - it is a U3 C10 UHS-I card with 90MB/s write speed, so it should cover my needs, and I will post my results here.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Be sure to keep checking the other threads on this, as a solution is currently available from Sony and it sounds like SanDisk will be coming out with some new SD cards soon that will be compatible again.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

andrewc-gb

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 am

Brad Hurley wrote:Be sure to keep checking the other threads on this, as a solution is currently available from Sony and it sounds like SanDisk will be coming out with some new SD cards soon that will be compatible again.

Will do.

andrewc-gb

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 am

andrewc-gb wrote:I took delivery of my Video Assist (5") today, and have been concerned at the apparent scarcity of known-working memory cards. I had ordered three of the approved 128GB SanDisk cards but was sent the newer, V30 version, so I'm returning them!

I'm going to try a Samsung microSDXC card (with adaptor) on Monday when it arrives - it is a U3 C10 UHS-I card with 90MB/s write speed, so it should cover my needs, and I will post my results here.

I've just inserted this 128GB Samsung memory card and the VA detected it immediately, was able to format it, and seems to be recording without issue with all the VA's codecs (albeit I'm using 1080p50 and no larger resolution).

The card model number is MB-MC128GA/EU.

*EDIT:

Return to Cinematography