Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Username

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 pm

I wanted to report that I tried the other high performance card from Integral and I was able to record every option available. :)
I formatted the card as HFS+ in my BMMCC and set the codec/fps and recorded.
Filled the card without dropped frame.
Reformatted it again, changed the codec/fps and ran again.
Ones for each bitrate/framerate below. Not a single dropped frame.

30fps cDNG RAW
60fps ProRes 422HQ
60fps 3:1 cDNG RAW

Integral Ultima Pro 256GB.
Part Code: INSDX256G-100/90V30
EAN: 5055288441309
Price for the 256GB card at Amazon.co.uk is today listed at: £22.39
https://www.amazon.co.uk/512Gb-Ultra-HD ... B07FBB8K9N

The 128 and 256 GB cards share the higher specifications:
Ultra-fast read / write, with up to 100 MB/s* read and 90 MB/s* write (128GB, 256GB)

The 512GB is little lower speced at 100/80. I have NOT tried the 512GB card!

Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC

Moooser

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Another positive vote for the Integral Ultima Pro 256GB - I purchased one for my BMPCC and have recorded RAW 25fps with no problems.

The price is a big win - can afford to stock up on three or four of these without breaking the bank!

John Sklba

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:31 am

Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?

cristianpedrera

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:07 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?
I have the same experience with 2 CanvasReact 128GB cards. I have returned them and today I should get an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card that they also recommend here.
I wish it really works ... As soon as I arrive I will do the tests.

I wrote to Blackmagic and they responded with the link to the forum. I hope to find answers here!

Cheers

Frank Engel

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?

There seem to be variations among the cameras; I have only tried the 128GB version of the Canvas React so far, and have had no issues with that one whatsoever; some have reported success with the 256GB card also, while you are not the first to report having issues with the 256GB card. There may be some manufacturing variations among the cards also - hard to be sure.

Username

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.

JustinBacle

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 pm

I got the integra 128 Gb and it seems to work perfectly (tested quickly in Raw 25fps). I ordered 2 new ones since the first one seem to work !

John Sklba

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Frank Engel wrote:

There seem to be variations among the cameras; I have only tried the 128GB version of the Canvas React so far, and have had no issues with that one whatsoever; some have reported success with the 256GB card also, while you are not the first to report having issues with the 256GB card. There may be some manufacturing variations among the cards also - hard to be sure.

It's weird. I came home to test the card, and it seemed to perform fine that time. Maybe just gotta keep in mind that 10 minute limit. Sigh. Why did my Sandisk have to break....

John Sklba

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.

Are you referring to the kingsport cards? I checked and mines in Exfat.

Username

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 pm

John Sklba wrote:
Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.

Yes.
Give it a try.
I understand it might be less than optimal if you work on windows in post but do give it a try.

John Sklba

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 am

Username wrote:
John Sklba wrote:

Yes.
Give it a try.
I understand it might be less than optimal if you work on windows in post but do give it a try.

Yeah, I'm trying to dump the card and it's not letting me access it. Any ideas for getting around this?

Frank Engel

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 2:40 pm

John Sklba wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to dump the card and it's not letting me access it. Any ideas for getting around this?

If you are on Windows and formatted the card with HFS+ you will need a 3rd-party solution for accessing native Mac filesystems under Windows.

There are some examples listed here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-re ... e-windows/

Note that I have no experience with any of those. When I want to access a Mac filesystem, I just use a Mac.

cristianpedrera

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:13 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:
I have the same experience with 2 CanvasReact 128GB cards. I have returned them and today I should get an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card that they also recommend here.
I wish it really works ... As soon as I arrive I will do the tests.

I wrote to Blackmagic and they responded with the link to the forum. I hope to find answers here!

Cheers
I just tried an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card in the BMPCC, in the BMMCC and in the Video Assist 5 "
The tests performed consist of placing the camera in front of the television (a lot of visual movement) and recording RAW at 30fps and 25fps

The results:

BMPCC:
-RAW 30fps (40 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, drop frames appear quickly)
-RAW 25fps (5 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, the dropped frames appear quickly)
I don't understand these results, 25fps are supposed to be less stressful ...

BMMCC:
-RAW 30fps (3 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several minutes but they appear dropped frames sooner or later)
-RAW 25fps (10 seconds of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds and rarely of 1 or 2 minutes but they appear dropped frames sooner or later)
-RAW 3: 1 60fps (28 seconds of RAW 3: 1, from here start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, drop frames appear quickly)
-RAW 3: 1 50fps (32 minutes of RAW 3: 1, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several minutes, the dropped frames appear soon)

Video Assist 5 ":
-ProRes HQ 1080p 60fps (72 minutes of ProRes HQ with no apparent problems and no signal of dropped frames. The strange thing is that a clip of 64 minutes and another of 8 minutes have been made. It seems that they are continuous and there is no dropped frame between two clips, so I don't understand why 2 clips have been made)

A couple of weeks ago my 6 Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 / MB 128GB cards (V30 model) have stopped working properly. But until then I could record the cards completely in RAW 30fps.
I do not understand what may be happening, is it possible that it is the fault of the cameras? I don't know, are the groove contacts dirty or somewhat similar?
I have talked to Sandisk and they tell me that they change my cards, but I'm afraid to continue having the same problem, I can't find cards compatible with the cameras, and I need them to work ... Blackmagic just tells me to use SDXXP model cards (like You know it is not easy to get them and they are no longer manufactured) or that I look in this forum, but from what I see in this forum there are some cards that for some work correctly and for others not.

Frank Engel

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 6:45 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:I don't understand these results, 25fps are supposed to be less stressful ...

I have seen this with several cards from different brands. One time it will go X minutes before dropping frames, then next time Y minutes, and it seems to be effectively random with no obvious rhyme or reason to it. Frame rate doesn't seem to have anything to do with this.

Username

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 pm

That is really strange.

Download the CPDT
https://github.com/maxim-saplin/CrossPl ... t/releases

And run d a few tests and see if write speed for the card is stable or if something have happen to it and write speed drops in a certain interval or just fluctuate a lot.
Previous

Return to Cinematography