Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Vitafons

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 am

Since i never considered buying 512 Gb Sandisk Extreme pro card this went unnoticed for me. Turns out that the V30 goes up only to 256 Gb 95 Mb/s. So technically ALL Sandisk Extreme pro 512 gb 95 Mb/s cards should work? So my question is has anyone tried the SDSDXPA-512G-G46 version and does it work properly?

eMilty

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Just noticed this posting from BMD on the Support Center:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/support/faq/59025

It's dated 27 March 2019 so it's very recent. When you look under SD cards they don't recommend any SanDisk cards anymore except for one specific 512 GB card. When I look up this card on the SanDisk website it looks like the exact same card that I have except that I have the 256 GB model. The 512 GB card does not have the V30 rating though. Why are these cards not rated V60 or V90 anyway ??

Steve Holmlund

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 2:02 pm

eMilty wrote:Just noticed this posting from BMD on the Support Center:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/support/faq/59025

It's dated 27 March 2019 so it's very recent. When you look under SD cards they don't recommend any SanDisk cards anymore except for one specific 512 GB card. When I look up this card on the SanDisk website it looks like the exact same card that I have except that I have the 256 GB model. The 512 GB card does not have the V30 rating though. Why are these cards not rated V60 or V90 anyway ??

Marco,
I could be mistaken but I think the link you shared relates to the BMPCC 4K. This thread deals with the original BMPCC, the BMMCC, and the Video Assists that only use SD cards.

Best regards,
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

eMilty

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 2:24 pm

The thread started with mentioning the Pocket Cinema Camera, Micro Cinema Camera, Video Assist and Video Assist 4K. I experience the problem with a Video Assist 4K. I don't know if this list is a complete list or only a list of known products with problems at the time of writing. My guess is that the hardware / software related to reading and writing SD cards in BMD products is shared in many products.

I found it remarkable that no SanDisk cards are listed except for the 512 GB Extreme Pro model. You would think it's the same card as a 256 GB Extreme Pro except for the larger storage capacity but apparently there are more differences. If I'm not mistaken the 512 GB model was introduced later than the other capacities.

Vitafons

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm

eMilty wrote:The thread started with mentioning the Pocket Cinema Camera, Micro Cinema Camera, Video Assist and Video Assist 4K. I experience the problem with a Video Assist 4K. I don't know if this list is a complete list or only a list of known products with problems at the time of writing. My guess is that the hardware / software related to reading and writing SD cards in BMD products is shared in many products.

I found it remarkable that no SanDisk cards are listed except for the 512 GB Extreme Pro model. You would think it's the same card as a 256 GB Extreme Pro except for the larger storage capacity but apparently there are more differences. If I'm not mistaken the 512 GB model was introduced later than the other capacities.

I think you are mixing things up a bit here. You posted the link of suggested cards for BMPCC 4K yet have problems with Video Assist 4K. These are two completely different issues.

Here is a link for Video Assist 4K approved cards: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... st_4k.html

eMilty

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Vitafons wrote:These are two completely different issues.

I don't think so. I would be really surprised if they don't share the same hardware / software for reading and writing SD cards.

Michael Geelhoed

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 7:21 am

For anyone looking for a short term solution - I'm on the BMMCC and I've also gone the Samsung microSD route with adapter and it's working for me at the moment - Raw 24fps in a few quick 5 minute tests. The Blackmagic disk test clocks it at around 82mb write speed. Already appears better than the Lexar I was trying to use and a lot cheaper. I'm going to stick with this and shoot Pro-res for any 60fps stuff. This appears to be a solid workaround for me at the moment. I understand that Sandisk's operations are out of the control of Blackmagic but when the BMMCC is still being sold as part of their current lineup - you would hope there are some efforts behind the scenes to find a media solution that allows you to use the camera up to the specs it is advertised for.

Vitafons

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 12:18 am

Finally got and tested the Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ 95/90 Mb/s on my BMPCC.

Card was recognized indicating "Ready" and then tried to format it in camera. The blue progress bar was done in less than a second with a message "Unable to format". Same thing happens both when formatting as hfs+ and exfat. After this the "No card" message appeared with no possibility to record anything. Formatted the card then on Mac (did the same thing on pc afterwards) as exFat and card was recognized again. Recorded about fifteen minutes one take (did a few more later), ProRes HQ, just walking around pointing camera at random directions de/focusing and no dropped frames.

No chance to record RAW though. Even the lowest framerate. Some weird error which does not seem to be connected with the writing speed (the BM disk speed test came up around 65 Mb/s write). When the Rec button is pressed the blue "Ready" text for a brief moment is changed to the red "REC" and then comes back to "Ready" mode again with no footage taken. No matter how many times switch off/on camera or pressing the rec button.

Sooo at least I have reliable ProRes HQ now.

Michael Geelhoed

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 am

OK I'm getting dropped frames at Raw 3:1 24fps now. Card is half full.

w_van_h

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Vitafons wrote:Finally got and tested the Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ 95/90 Mb/s on my BMPCC.

Card was recognized indicating "Ready" and then tried to format it in camera. The blue progress bar was done in less than a second with a message "Unable to format". Same thing happens both when formatting as hfs+ and exfat. After this the "No card" message appeared with no possibility to record anything. Formatted the card then on Mac (did the same thing on pc afterwards) as exFat and card was recognized again. Recorded about fifteen minutes one take (did a few more later), ProRes HQ, just walking around pointing camera at random directions de/focusing and no dropped frames.

No chance to record RAW though. Even the lowest framerate. Some weird error which does not seem to be connected with the writing speed (the BM disk speed test came up around 65 Mb/s write). When the Rec button is pressed the blue "Ready" text for a brief moment is changed to the red "REC" and then comes back to "Ready" mode again with no footage taken. No matter how many times switch off/on camera or pressing the rec button.

Sooo at least I have reliable ProRes HQ now.

I recently purchased a used BMPCC and had the same trouble everyone else had in finding cards that work. Out of desperation I got the same card you listed here (Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ), expecting to only be able to use prores, but to my surprise I found mine shoots RAW just fine. In my tests I've shot up to 12 minute shots with no dropped frames. I didn't have to format the card as it worked out of the box, and my camera is running the latest firmware. Obiously YMMV.

marc.colemont

PostThu May 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Dear Blackmagic support,

Please keep the SD-card list updated regularly on the support site.
It's currently outdated with old cards where many of them are not available anymore.
Also please mention that there is an issue with certain cards.
We have to rely our Live recordings on this, and we don't look at forums all the time.

Thanks.

mangrove64

PostWed May 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Before I read this thread I bought and tried with a 64 GB SDSDXXG-card in the VA and it didn't recognise it. I´ve also put in a 128 GB SDSDXXG-card (170MB/s) GN4IN newly bought, in the VA (5 inch) and it says "no card".

But when I put a 128 GB SDSDXXG-card (95MB/s) GN4IN, purchased in 2017, it works.

When I bought my, used, VA it came with a UHS II Extreme Pro 300 mb/s-card, and it works.

Brad Hurley

PostWed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm

mangrove64 wrote:
When I bought my, used, VA it came with a UHS II Extreme Pro 300 mb/s-card, and it works.

Based on another thread, these are the cards SanDisk recommends for use now in the original Pocket, Micro Cinema Camera, and Video Assist. I know there was some concern about using UHS II cards in those devices but it seems they work and SanDisk is recommending them. They're quite expensive though; a 128 gb card goes for around $300 Canadian.

I'd like to see more reports from users confirming that they work (or don't work) before shelling out that kind of money.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Frank Engel

PostMon May 13, 2019 5:22 pm

In general, UHS-II cards are backward-compatible with UHS-I devices but lose the performance benefits of UHS-II, so if a UHS-II card is used in a UHS-I device it should work, but may run at a lower speed than what it would have in a UHS-II device.

Didier

PostWed May 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi,

Please forgave my English. It is not my native language.
Unfortunately, because of SD cards, I have not found a solution to continue using my BMPCC (original).
I tried several SD cards models but they doesn’t work:
Here are the results:
SDXC Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 Go up to 95 Mo/s, Classe 10, U3, V30 : Not recognized (no card message is displayed)
SDXC Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 Go Classe 10 U3 (SDSDXPA-256G-G46): Not recognized. (no card message is displayed)
Samsung MB-MC256GA/EU MicroSD Evo Plus 256G.
It looks better. Card is recognized, but It doesn’t work in Raw and there is a lot of Drop pictures in ProRes HQ after few minutes.

And the last one I tried SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-1 Card 128GB Is not recognized too (see picture with serial number.

BM support tell me to see this topic.... and sandisk tell me to try another model but with no guarantee.

I am just desperate! Do I have to continue to buy SD cards, test it and send it back until something "magic" happens?

Seriously, the way Blackmagic support us on this issue is really not professional. :x
Attachments
SD IMG_8859.JPG
SD IMG_8859.JPG (104.96 KiB) Viewed 188814 times
SD.JPG
SD.JPG (119.73 KiB) Viewed 188814 times
Resolve 15, mini panel, Declink 4K, Eizo CG248 4K 24'. BenQ SW271 4K 27'
Work station 16 core Intel i9-7960X CPU (32 logical Pro.), 128 Gids RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 multi GPU.

Brad Hurley

PostFri May 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Didier wrote:I am just desperate! Do I have to continue to buy SD cards, test it and send it back until something "magic" happens?

Frank Engel here on the forum is testing SD cards with the original Pocket; you can see his findings so far at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91479

It doesn't look good so far, but some people are reporting success with the faster Sony cards.

RTESCONDIT

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm

In regards to testing - has anyone tested the less popular SD card brands for the BMPCC yet? Curious whether they're able to withstand RAW or even being read by the camera. Any feedback would be appreciated. I will continue to test as well.

Here's the list in question:

ADATA Premier Pro SDXC UHS-I U1
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Gobe Magic SDXC UHS-I U3
Lexar SDXC Professional Class 10 600x UHS-I
PNY Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-I
PNY Pro-Elite Plus 32GB SDHC (P-SDH32U2-30-GE)
Toshiba Exceria Type 2 SDXC UHS-I

Didier

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Hi every body,

Am I the only one thinking that Blackmagic has to do something? I bought two BMPCC in June 2017 and because of this issue they are obsolete. Does Blackmagic legally have the right to behave so? They give us a serial number for memory card, but it’s impossible to found it. The information requirements on the availability of spare parts are specified in Article L. 111-4 of the French Consumer Code. If we cannot obtain a real support from blackmagic it’s may be time to to start a trial?

Let me know if you are interessed.
Work station 16 core Intel i9-7960X CPU (32 logical Pro.), 128 Gids RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 multi GPU.

Craig Seeman

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

Please note that we have discovered an issue with the newer revision of the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXXG.

These cards do not work with the following products:

1. Pocket Cinema Camera
2. Micro Cinema Camera
3. Video Assist
4. Video Assist 4K

We believe that these new cards have the V30 rating on them.

Currently, only Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXP are compatible.

Kristian Lam from BMD said SDSDXP are compatible. Unless someone has found that's not correct the 512GB version (so useful for long cDNG and ProRes recording) are still very much available from Sandisk.

Sandisk still sells this older card SKU SDSDXP-512G-A46. Many dealers show them as discontinued but Sandisk is still selling them.
https://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/ ... .309192500

It's possible they are still available on Amazon (US at least) as
SDSDXPA-512G-G46
although there's an A added to the product SKU and a G46 so perhaps this is a "global" variant. It's not the other product SKU that Kristian Lam warns against.
https://amazon.com/dp/B00NP699ZI/?colii ... 9NJA&psc=1

BobHobbs

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the right cards, just wanted a second opinion. I'm buying them used and I won't have my camera available at the time of purchase.

I'm buying the 32GB, the top two cards in photo are the exact cards i'm buying.

Thanks In Advance!
Attachments
SD.jpg
This is the card!
SD.jpg (60.59 KiB) Viewed 185515 times
Last edited by BobHobbs on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony Raphael Petrone

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Is only the 512gb card suppose to work now despite the product number?

I ordered a 128gb sandisk from Amazon that said it was the SDSDXPA but on the box it says SDSDXXY. It also is the new version that is 170mb/s -- Doesn't work of course.

I think they sent me the new version instead of the old version because the old version wasn't to be in stock until the 10th.

I'm kind of hesitant to buy again though even though they are taking this one back. I really need another card..

Didier

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Anthony Raphael Petrone wrote:Is only the 512gb card suppose to work now despite the product number?

I ordered a 128gb sandisk from Amazon that said it was the SDSDXPA but on the box it says SDSDXXY. It also is the new version that is 170mb/s -- Doesn't work of course.

I think they sent me the new version instead of the old version because the old version wasn't to be in stock until the 10th.

I'm kind of hesitant to buy again though even though they are taking this one back. I really need another card..

Hi,

I got the same problem with SD Card. It is very hard to find a memory card wich work with BMPCC the original.
I tried many of it from sandisk and Samsung. Sometime the card is recognized some time it's not and when it is recognized you still have loss drop.

At the end I found Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ 95MB/s witch work perfectly without drop in RAW and ProResHQ. It cost about 45€ on Amazon.

Before Order Make sure that it is exactly the same (see picture) with SFG1UZ printed on the label.
Some time the sellers use an old picture on his commercial and at the end you don't get the card you have order. So do not hesitate to contact him before to order.
Attachments
IMG_9336.JPG
IMG_9336.JPG (70.42 KiB) Viewed 185764 times

Anthony Raphael Petrone

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Thank you, I’ll give the Sony a try and cross my fingers.

Kris Mil

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 10:02 am

Hi guys, joined the forum because I recently purchased a BMPCC while waiting for the 4K model on order. Little did I realise memory cards are such an issue. How pathetic! Anyway, are we all confident about the Sony Card identified earlier?

I am from Australia but not terribly close to the Blackmagic office. If I was I would be inclined to go there and see if anyone is even bothered by this disappointing situation!

Thanks, Kris

Anthony Raphael Petrone

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:09 pm

I just got done talking with Sandisk and according the them the UHS-II cards should work, which are the 300MB/s cards.

They're a lot more expensive than the 95MB/s cards but I think are comparable in price to the Sonys. They wouldn't switch out my cards that don't work for them though so I don't know if they actually do work.

Kris Mil

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 am

Truthfully, that doesn't inspire confidence Anthony.
I wish "should" was removed from your sentence!
But thank you for inspiring hope!

cheers, Kris

Anthony Raphael Petrone

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah, I hear ya. I do recall reading in one of these threads that someone had their card switched out for the 300mb/s and it did work.

Im just not willing to pay more than double the price for half the amount of gigs.

I’ve been ordering on Amazon hoping to get some that work but haven’t yet..

Frank Engel

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:55 am

Oddly enough, this one seems to work perfectly:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... le_o01_s00

See also: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91479

Fred Vanderavert

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi,

just made some tests with the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB 300MB/s and i can confirm that they work in the BMPCC4k. Used them in BM raw 24p and had no problems.

Kris Mil

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 pm

Respectfully, this thread is discussing compatibility with the BMPCC (NON) 4K. Nevertheless, still good to know I guess.

Dmytro Shijan

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 pm

I found interesting real life SD cards benchmark chart https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/
As you can see original old SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards Random Write speed is extremely fast compare to other cards. Is even faster than UHS II cards. That Random Write Speed is the only thing that makes original SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards unique, and most likely this affect camera write performance and stability.

So as for today, probably the only safe way is to get 512GB card directly from SanDisk Outlet Store https://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/list/categoryID.4883773700/includeVariations.true Smaller sizes are no longer available there.
512 GB per card still fells too oversized and overpriced until you need to shoot many hours non-stop. Few smaller cards works way better when you need additional backup in the field.

BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Username

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Great find!
I've looked at those charts as well and compared some of those numbers with other tests, specifications and photos of cards but I did not noticed the random write specs for Sandisk.
The Toshiba are wicked expensive though, but on the other hand - if they are available and do work for raw it would be amazing.

I have some other cards ordered from Integral and Kingston and hope to get them this week.
I will report back on how they perform and with which codecs.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Dmytro Shijan

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:22 pm

It is only my guess, i have no idea if Random Write Speed really affect real life camera write performance or stability. As you can see most 300MB/s UHS-II cards are designed in very different way. They have very fast Sequential Write Speed (247 MB/s), very fast Random Read Speed (216MB/s), but same time very slow Random Write Speed (3MB/s).
Could someone from BM tech support clarify this phenomenon?
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Username

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:10 pm

I've seen the same speed requirements from Sound Devices for their MixPre 3/6 series as well.
UHS-I, 90MB/s read/write and although the MixPres have been on the market for a couple of years the only listed card under Approved Media is their own.

Even though you have a card that read and writes at 90/70 MB/s, failures occurs often when recording at highest quality and maximum number of channels. Even though the data written is a bleak 4.5 MB/s.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Almog92

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello to everyone,

I appreciate this tread very much, as I am facing the same situation.
(Lately purchased the original BMPCC (not 4k), and the 64GB 170 MB/s version of Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card {which doesn't work in the camera} )

I wanted to ask for assistance if someone may know if there are more cards -
besides the 512GB Sandisk option (the old version - [SDSDXPA-512G-G46]),
and the other options that were mentioned here (the Sony card, and the Sandisk micoSD A1 version card that was mentioned few days ago) -
that would be identifed in the camera and would be good for shooting in ProResHQ or ProRes422?

I am able to shoot in ProResHQ or ProRes422 in a personal project I am going to do soon, so I am trying to learn if there are more options exsist, in a case when shooting in Raw is not needed.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by Almog92 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:So as for today, probably the only safe way is to get 512GB card directly from SanDisk Outlet Store https://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/list/categoryID.4883773700/includeVariations.true Smaller sizes are no longer available there.

The only problem with this is that the SanDisk Outlet Store only ships to the US; I live in Canada and haven't been able to find a way to order these cards directly from SanDisk. When people order them from Amazon it seems they receive a newer (incompatible) card instead.

Username

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 11:11 pm

I believe I've found what we are looking for.

Integrals UltimaProX Gold SDHC/XC UHS-I U3 Card
in the sizes 128, 256 and 512 GB.

Not the 32 and 64 GB, as they have lower rated write speed.

I ran BM Disk Speed Test and clocked the 128 GB card at:
Write: 84,1 MB/s
Read: 90,9 MB/s

I inserted the 128 GB card in my BMMCC and formatted it HFS+.
And then I recorded RAW @ 25 fps until the card was full without a single dropped frame.
I verified the files on my MacBook Pro and Resolve.
Again I formatted the card in camera and recorded RAW @ 30 fps without a single dropped frame.
Same verification process.

The 128GB card for £19.21 and a mere £38.10 for 256 GB makes these very affordable.

https://integralmemory.com/product/ulti ... emory-card
https://integralmemory.com/sites/defaul ... heet_2.pdf

I bought the cards here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VFJR2VA/ ... _dp_1?th=1
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Kris Mil

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 am

Thanks for the suggestion!
Here's hoping the same happens with the BMPCC.

Frank Engel

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 11:52 am

Almog92 wrote:Hello to everyone,

I appreciate this tread very much, as I am facing the same situation.
(Lately purchased the original BMPCC (not 4k), and the 64GB 170 MB/s version of Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card {which doesn't work in the camera} )

I wanted to ask for assistance if someone may know if there are more cards -
besides the 512GB Sandisk option (the old version - [SDSDXPA-512G-G46]),
and the other options that were mentioned here (the Sony card, and the Sandisk micoSD A1 version card that was mentioned few days ago) -
that would be identifed in the camera and would be good for shooting in ProResHQ or ProRes422?

I am able to shoot in ProResHQ or ProRes422 in a personal project I am going to do soon, so I am trying to learn if there are more options exsist, in a case when shooting in Raw is not needed.

Thank you very much.

You might want to keep an eye on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91479

The Amplim 32GB V90 UHS-II SDXC seems to work in Prores HQ up to 25 fps, so it should be suitable for Prores 422, but the price point is higher than that of the Sandisk A1 card which is faster in this camera and has a higher capacity. Amazon is selling "renewed" (refurb) versions of the 64 GB A1 card for less than $14 each.
Last edited by Frank Engel on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wwinter86

PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:52 am

Will they work in the Pocket Cinema 4K?
Computer: 2020 Mac Mini (8 GB RAM).
Tablet: iPad Pro 12.9 (M1).
Camera: BMPCC 4K.
Storage: Samsung T5 2GB.

Greg_E

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 pm

Well, let me add that I'm very discouraged now. I recently bought a 7 inch VA, and I was thinking about getting a Micro Cinema camera. But with media moving forward and the cameras not moving forward, it looks like both of these items could be reduced to worthless soon. Cards don't last forever, and spending 1/3 of the price of the camera on a single memory card is nuts!

What is going to happen to newer camera designs, are all of the P4K cameras going to be in this same condition in a couple of years. Certainly gives me pause on buying a P4K too.

If it is a hardware issue, how much would it cost to have the cameras/monitors retrofitted with a new controller chip that would allow the use of newer cards? Or if it is really the cards at fault, then out them and let public disapproval make them get fixed. I have a feeling the issue comes down to a little of both

I guess in the end I should have spent the extra on an AtomOS monitor and I'll keep thinking about the micro cinema camera, but may very well pass on it too.

Frank Engel

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Greg_E wrote:What is going to happen to newer camera designs, are all of the P4K cameras going to be in this same condition in a couple of years. Certainly gives me pause on buying a P4K too.

For whatever it may be worth... it is still possible to buy floppy disks.

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Greg_E wrote:Well, let me add that I'm very discouraged now. I recently bought a 7 inch VA, and I was thinking about getting a Micro Cinema camera. But with media moving forward and the cameras not moving forward, it looks like both of these items could be reduced to worthless soon. Cards don't last forever, and spending 1/3 of the price of the camera on a single memory card is nuts!

From what I've read, the 7" Video Assist is not in the same boat as the 5" -- there are still media available for that one. Check the specs.

The super-cheap ($37 Canadian) 128 gigabyte Canvas React SD card from Kingston is working fine in my BMPCC and Micro Cinema Camera, at least for Prores -- I did have a dropped frame warning after 13 minutes when I tried shooting raw at 30fps in my BMPCC, but that could be just my camera (it also drops frames at 30fps with the originally approved SanDisk cards, but I've never gotten dropped frames at lower framerates in either raw or Prores). I haven't had a chance to shoot for an extended period in raw 30fps on the BMMCC but hope to do that sometime this week.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 1:02 pm

I've now tested the 128 gigabyte Kingston Canvas React SD card in my Micro Cinema Camera and was able to fill the card (approx 30 minutes) at 30 fps shooting raw with no dropped frames. Based on that, I'm going to order a few of these, since they're so cheap.

Anthony Raphael Petrone

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Frank Engel wrote:Oddly enough, this one seems to work perfectly:

I'm going to order a couple of these with my fingers crossed.

ethangriffin

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Username wrote:I believe I've found what we are looking for.

Integrals UltimaProX Gold SDHC/XC UHS-I U3 Card
in the sizes 128, 256 and 512 GB.

Not the 32 and 64 GB, as they have lower rated write speed.

I ran BM Disk Speed Test and clocked the 128 GB card at:
Write: 84,1 MB/s
Read: 90,9 MB/s

I inserted the 128 GB card in my BMMCC and formatted it HFS+.
And then I recorded RAW @ 25 fps until the card was full without a single dropped frame.
I verified the files on my MacBook Pro and Resolve.
Again I formatted the card in camera and recorded RAW @ 30 fps without a single dropped frame.
Same verification process.

The 128GB card for £19.21 and a mere £38.10 for 256 GB makes these very affordable.

Hello!

I bought this exact card with this link but the 256GB version. Sorry I can't post the URL.

Sadly it will only record ProRes422 without dropped frames. I could swear RAW was working before I formatted the card on my PC (thought it would be safer to format fully, guess not!). Now in HFS+ and exFAT only 422 works. Maybe some special formatting specs to trick the BMPCC into using it lol ? It won't even try RAW format, it ENDS recording immediately. It fails to format in camera for exFAT. It will format in camera HFS+.

Have you tried the 256 version yourself yet or only the 128GB?

I might try this from a later post "Sony 128GB High Performance Class 10 UHS-1/U3 SDHC up to 95MB/s Memory Card (SF16UZ/TQN)"

But I'm almost at the Lumix GH5 vs BMPCC 4K crossroads. At least my original 64GB Sandisk is still working on the original BMPCC.

I know, completely different beasts and color, but I'm not producing narratives ATM, and I love the IBIS on the sensor on my Olympus. Use with any lens - It's like magic. Oops pun not intended! I know larger cinema cameras do not have this feature because they should be on a tripod in controlled settings or at least nice and heavy on your shoulder. Something named "Pocket" should really have IBIS since we have to add so much kit otherwise, the 4K in not really a Pocket camera. Should have been Blackmagic Design Compact (? Mini?) Cinema Camera 4K. Too bad there isn't a new "cheap" 4K camera from Apertus Axiom open modular project yet! Probably like $5000 anyway who knows. Still very excited to see where they go.

Don't know what to do. Do I need RAW really at this point? Guess I should rent a GH5 and do some extreme tests.

Thank you all! Sorry I got rambling.

ethangriffin

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:I've now tested the 128 gigabyte Kingston Canvas React SD card in my Micro Cinema Camera and was able to fill the card (approx 30 minutes) at 30 fps shooting raw with no dropped frames. Based on that, I'm going to order a few of these, since they're so cheap.

This is also working for me in RAW 24fps and I got the 256GB version! I have not formatted the card, it appears to be exFAT formatted. I'm wary of formatting the card on PC or in camera - It SHOULD be fine of course but since the original Pocket is so picky I don't want to risk it! (the 256 Integral card I tested earlier could not be formatted exFAT on Pocket but works up to ProResHQ 24FPS)

I recorded straight 1hr 14min in RAW at 24FPS (with AC adaptor). There were NO dropped frame warnings and spot checking it in Resolve, it seems to have recorded perfectly. I haven't tested 30FPS.

Here's hoping the card continues this way and lasts! I hope this was helpful to someone. Thank YOU Brad Hurley! :D :D :D

ethangriffin

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:I've now tested the 128 gigabyte Kingston Canvas React SD card in my Micro Cinema Camera and was able to fill the card (approx 30 minutes) at 30 fps shooting raw with no dropped frames. Based on that, I'm going to order a few of these, since they're so cheap.

Well I spoke too soon, walking around with the camera in RAW at 24fps, after a few minutes it starts dropping about 4 seconds of footage every few minutes. More complex frames to compress? Maybe 128GB instead of 256 is "more" compatible?

The only difference is I am using a Magic Power Juicebox for the first time today.

ethangriffin

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 am

OKAY so, good news, did some more testing, any battery, juicebox or not, the camera would start dropping frames after a couple minutes in RAW. BUT I took a "chance" (which shouldn't be a risk anyway) and formatted the card in the Pocket to exFAT and now I am getting NO dropped frames, battery, juicebox or not, shaking around the camera, filming lots of different stuff, maybe 10 minutes, still NO dropped frames. So hopefully this is a good option for everyone for now.

Anthony Raphael Petrone

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Anthony Raphael Petrone wrote:
Frank Engel wrote:Oddly enough, this one seems to work perfectly:

I'm going to order a couple of these with my fingers crossed.

For the love of god these DO work!

Steal of a price as well, as they're refurbished.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography