Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Vitafons

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 am

Since i never considered buying 512 Gb Sandisk Extreme pro card this went unnoticed for me. Turns out that the V30 goes up only to 256 Gb 95 Mb/s. So technically ALL Sandisk Extreme pro 512 gb 95 Mb/s cards should work? So my question is has anyone tried the SDSDXPA-512G-G46 version and does it work properly?

eMilty

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Just noticed this posting from BMD on the Support Center:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/support/faq/59025

It's dated 27 March 2019 so it's very recent. When you look under SD cards they don't recommend any SanDisk cards anymore except for one specific 512 GB card. When I look up this card on the SanDisk website it looks like the exact same card that I have except that I have the 256 GB model. The 512 GB card does not have the V30 rating though. Why are these cards not rated V60 or V90 anyway ??

Steve Holmlund

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 2:02 pm

eMilty wrote:Just noticed this posting from BMD on the Support Center:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/support/faq/59025

It's dated 27 March 2019 so it's very recent. When you look under SD cards they don't recommend any SanDisk cards anymore except for one specific 512 GB card. When I look up this card on the SanDisk website it looks like the exact same card that I have except that I have the 256 GB model. The 512 GB card does not have the V30 rating though. Why are these cards not rated V60 or V90 anyway ??

Marco,
I could be mistaken but I think the link you shared relates to the BMPCC 4K. This thread deals with the original BMPCC, the BMMCC, and the Video Assists that only use SD cards.

Best regards,
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40, Panasonic 100-300 II
i7 8700k / GTX 1080

eMilty

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 2:24 pm

The thread started with mentioning the Pocket Cinema Camera, Micro Cinema Camera, Video Assist and Video Assist 4K. I experience the problem with a Video Assist 4K. I don't know if this list is a complete list or only a list of known products with problems at the time of writing. My guess is that the hardware / software related to reading and writing SD cards in BMD products is shared in many products.

I found it remarkable that no SanDisk cards are listed except for the 512 GB Extreme Pro model. You would think it's the same card as a 256 GB Extreme Pro except for the larger storage capacity but apparently there are more differences. If I'm not mistaken the 512 GB model was introduced later than the other capacities.

Vitafons

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm

eMilty wrote:The thread started with mentioning the Pocket Cinema Camera, Micro Cinema Camera, Video Assist and Video Assist 4K. I experience the problem with a Video Assist 4K. I don't know if this list is a complete list or only a list of known products with problems at the time of writing. My guess is that the hardware / software related to reading and writing SD cards in BMD products is shared in many products.

I found it remarkable that no SanDisk cards are listed except for the 512 GB Extreme Pro model. You would think it's the same card as a 256 GB Extreme Pro except for the larger storage capacity but apparently there are more differences. If I'm not mistaken the 512 GB model was introduced later than the other capacities.

I think you are mixing things up a bit here. You posted the link of suggested cards for BMPCC 4K yet have problems with Video Assist 4K. These are two completely different issues.

Here is a link for Video Assist 4K approved cards: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... st_4k.html

eMilty

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Vitafons wrote:These are two completely different issues.

I don't think so. I would be really surprised if they don't share the same hardware / software for reading and writing SD cards.

Michael Geelhoed

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 7:21 am

For anyone looking for a short term solution - I'm on the BMMCC and I've also gone the Samsung microSD route with adapter and it's working for me at the moment - Raw 24fps in a few quick 5 minute tests. The Blackmagic disk test clocks it at around 82mb write speed. Already appears better than the Lexar I was trying to use and a lot cheaper. I'm going to stick with this and shoot Pro-res for any 60fps stuff. This appears to be a solid workaround for me at the moment. I understand that Sandisk's operations are out of the control of Blackmagic but when the BMMCC is still being sold as part of their current lineup - you would hope there are some efforts behind the scenes to find a media solution that allows you to use the camera up to the specs it is advertised for.

Vitafons

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 12:18 am

Finally got and tested the Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ 95/90 Mb/s on my BMPCC.

Card was recognized indicating "Ready" and then tried to format it in camera. The blue progress bar was done in less than a second with a message "Unable to format". Same thing happens both when formatting as hfs+ and exfat. After this the "No card" message appeared with no possibility to record anything. Formatted the card then on Mac (did the same thing on pc afterwards) as exFat and card was recognized again. Recorded about fifteen minutes one take (did a few more later), ProRes HQ, just walking around pointing camera at random directions de/focusing and no dropped frames.

No chance to record RAW though. Even the lowest framerate. Some weird error which does not seem to be connected with the writing speed (the BM disk speed test came up around 65 Mb/s write). When the Rec button is pressed the blue "Ready" text for a brief moment is changed to the red "REC" and then comes back to "Ready" mode again with no footage taken. No matter how many times switch off/on camera or pressing the rec button.

Sooo at least I have reliable ProRes HQ now.

Michael Geelhoed

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 am

OK I'm getting dropped frames at Raw 3:1 24fps now. Card is half full.

w_van_h

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Vitafons wrote:Finally got and tested the Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ 95/90 Mb/s on my BMPCC.

Card was recognized indicating "Ready" and then tried to format it in camera. The blue progress bar was done in less than a second with a message "Unable to format". Same thing happens both when formatting as hfs+ and exfat. After this the "No card" message appeared with no possibility to record anything. Formatted the card then on Mac (did the same thing on pc afterwards) as exFat and card was recognized again. Recorded about fifteen minutes one take (did a few more later), ProRes HQ, just walking around pointing camera at random directions de/focusing and no dropped frames.

No chance to record RAW though. Even the lowest framerate. Some weird error which does not seem to be connected with the writing speed (the BM disk speed test came up around 65 Mb/s write). When the Rec button is pressed the blue "Ready" text for a brief moment is changed to the red "REC" and then comes back to "Ready" mode again with no footage taken. No matter how many times switch off/on camera or pressing the rec button.

Sooo at least I have reliable ProRes HQ now.

I recently purchased a used BMPCC and had the same trouble everyone else had in finding cards that work. Out of desperation I got the same card you listed here (Sony 128 GB SFG1UZ), expecting to only be able to use prores, but to my surprise I found mine shoots RAW just fine. In my tests I've shot up to 12 minute shots with no dropped frames. I didn't have to format the card as it worked out of the box, and my camera is running the latest firmware. Obiously YMMV.

marc.colemont

PostThu May 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Dear Blackmagic support,

Please keep the SD-card list updated regularly on the support site.
It's currently outdated with old cards where many of them are not available anymore.
Also please mention that there is an issue with certain cards.
We have to rely our Live recordings on this, and we don't look at forums all the time.

Thanks.

mangrove64

PostWed May 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Before I read this thread I bought and tried with a 64 GB SDSDXXG-card in the VA and it didn't recognise it. I´ve also put in a 128 GB SDSDXXG-card (170MB/s) GN4IN newly bought, in the VA (5 inch) and it says "no card".

But when I put a 128 GB SDSDXXG-card (95MB/s) GN4IN, purchased in 2017, it works.

When I bought my, used, VA it came with a UHS II Extreme Pro 300 mb/s-card, and it works.

Brad Hurley

PostWed May 08, 2019 6:22 pm

mangrove64 wrote:
When I bought my, used, VA it came with a UHS II Extreme Pro 300 mb/s-card, and it works.

Based on another thread, these are the cards SanDisk recommends for use now in the original Pocket, Micro Cinema Camera, and Video Assist. I know there was some concern about using UHS II cards in those devices but it seems they work and SanDisk is recommending them. They're quite expensive though; a 128 gb card goes for around $300 Canadian.

I'd like to see more reports from users confirming that they work (or don't work) before shelling out that kind of money.
Resolve 15, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Frank Engel

PostMon May 13, 2019 5:22 pm

In general, UHS-II cards are backward-compatible with UHS-I devices but lose the performance benefits of UHS-II, so if a UHS-II card is used in a UHS-I device it should work, but may run at a lower speed than what it would have in a UHS-II device.

Didier

PostWed May 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi,

Please forgave my English. It is not my native language.
Unfortunately, because of SD cards, I have not found a solution to continue using my BMPCC (original).
I tried several SD cards models but they doesn’t work:
Here are the results:
SDXC Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 Go up to 95 Mo/s, Classe 10, U3, V30 : Not recognized (no card message is displayed)
SDXC Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 Go Classe 10 U3 (SDSDXPA-256G-G46): Not recognized. (no card message is displayed)
Samsung MB-MC256GA/EU MicroSD Evo Plus 256G.
It looks better. Card is recognized, but It doesn’t work in Raw and there is a lot of Drop pictures in ProRes HQ after few minutes.

And the last one I tried SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-1 Card 128GB Is not recognized too (see picture with serial number.

BM support tell me to see this topic.... and sandisk tell me to try another model but with no guarantee.

I am just desperate! Do I have to continue to buy SD cards, test it and send it back until something "magic" happens?

Seriously, the way Blackmagic support us on this issue is really not professional. :x
Attachments
SD IMG_8859.JPG
SD IMG_8859.JPG (104.96 KiB) Viewed 801 times
SD.JPG
SD.JPG (119.73 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Resolve 15, mini panel, Declink 4K, Eizo CG248 4K 24'. BenQ SW271 4K 27'
Work station 16 core Intel i9-7960X CPU (32 logical Pro.), 128 Gids RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 multi GPU.

Brad Hurley

PostFri May 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Didier wrote:I am just desperate! Do I have to continue to buy SD cards, test it and send it back until something "magic" happens?

Frank Engel here on the forum is testing SD cards with the original Pocket; you can see his findings so far at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91479

It doesn't look good so far, but some people are reporting success with the faster Sony cards.
Resolve 15, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

RTESCONDIT

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm

In regards to testing - has anyone tested the less popular SD card brands for the BMPCC yet? Curious whether they're able to withstand RAW or even being read by the camera. Any feedback would be appreciated. I will continue to test as well.

Here's the list in question:

ADATA Premier Pro SDXC UHS-I U1
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Gobe Magic SDXC UHS-I U3
Lexar SDXC Professional Class 10 600x UHS-I
PNY Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-I
PNY Pro-Elite Plus 32GB SDHC (P-SDH32U2-30-GE)
Toshiba Exceria Type 2 SDXC UHS-I

Didier

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Hi every body,

Am I the only one thinking that Blackmagic has to do something? I bought two BMPCC in June 2017 and because of this issue they are obsolete. Does Blackmagic legally have the right to behave so? They give us a serial number for memory card, but it’s impossible to found it. The information requirements on the availability of spare parts are specified in Article L. 111-4 of the French Consumer Code. If we cannot obtain a real support from blackmagic it’s may be time to to start a trial?

Let me know if you are interessed.
Resolve 15, mini panel, Declink 4K, Eizo CG248 4K 24'. BenQ SW271 4K 27'
Work station 16 core Intel i9-7960X CPU (32 logical Pro.), 128 Gids RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 multi GPU.

Craig Seeman

PostSun Jun 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

Please note that we have discovered an issue with the newer revision of the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXXG.

These cards do not work with the following products:

1. Pocket Cinema Camera
2. Micro Cinema Camera
3. Video Assist
4. Video Assist 4K

We believe that these new cards have the V30 rating on them.

Currently, only Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXP are compatible.

Kristian Lam from BMD said SDSDXP are compatible. Unless someone has found that's not correct the 512GB version (so useful for long cDNG and ProRes recording) are still very much available from Sandisk.

Sandisk still sells this older card SKU SDSDXP-512G-A46. Many dealers show them as discontinued but Sandisk is still selling them.
https://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/ ... .309192500

It's possible they are still available on Amazon (US at least) as
SDSDXPA-512G-G46
although there's an A added to the product SKU and a G46 so perhaps this is a "global" variant. It's not the other product SKU that Kristian Lam warns against.
https://amazon.com/dp/B00NP699ZI/?colii ... 9NJA&psc=1
Previous

Return to Cinematography