Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

vanschr

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Can anyone vouch for the new NON working SANDISK cards working in the BMPCC 4K please as i have the opportunity to make a swap for old cards (Friend has a BMPCC 4K with old cards). I don't want to buy new cards and then they don't work on the 4K.

David Claverie

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:13 pm

hi all
For my problem
Sandisk as accept to send me the others cards in exchange.
they know there is a problem
Thanks

Johan Cramer

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Found out that the Samsung EVO Plus UHS-1 256GB (advertised on the package with "Read Speed up to 100MBs/, Write Speed up to 90 MB/s), a MicroSD card with included full-size SD adapter, works flawlessly for recording up to 30fps RAW CinemaDNG on the old (1080p) Pocket Cinema Camera. Tested 20 minutes continuous recording with lots of flicker and motion - no problems/framedrops whatsoever.

Just like the old Sandisk Extreme Pro, it also works for recording 4K DCI CinemaDNG 4:1 with up to 25fps in the Pocket 4K.

The Samsung card is a bargain for about $60. Would be good if BM could officially test and (hopefully) approve it.

speed test samsung evo plus 256gb.PNG
speed test samsung evo plus 256gb.PNG (509.77 KiB) Viewed 679 times

Sandeep Gill

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 1:33 am

I've bought three 256GB SDSDXXG cards in the last three months and all have worked perfectly with my BMPCC. Sustained RAW recording with no dropped frames.

I have the latest firmware but I'm starting to wonder if the issue could be camera unit specific? The only other factor I can think of is that I'm UK based and so perhaps European (country code in the serial number - G) cards are fine whereas North American cards have issues?

JamesHost

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 2:59 am

Hello - I am in the same boat.

I bought the SanDisk Extreme PRO 95 MB/s 256 GB U3 UHS-1 card per the QVL on the site. I was not aware that minor revision differences of the same apparent SKU would break compatibility. I have two of these cards which I can return to Amazon but there is no way to get the "Old Version"

Will Blackmagic sell me the correct cards at a cost-competitive rate? OR do I just need to return the entire Video Assist recorder, since it's simply worthless without film?

vanschr

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 10:27 am

Hi Maybe i should rephrase. I just need to know if the new non working (for VA, BMPCC, BMMCC) SANDISK 95MB/s Extreme Pro cards will be recognized in the BMPCC 4K.

ie not recognized in VA non 4K, BMPCC, BMMCC but recognized in BMPCC 4K.

Thanks in advance!

vanschr

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 10:31 am

I've bought three 256GB SDSDXXG cards in the last three months and all have worked perfectly with my BMPCC. Sustained RAW recording with no dropped frames.

WHAAAAAT! How's that possible. That's the batch that dont work!!!! Has anyone tried a 256GB 95MB/s new card. I"ve only tried, 32, 64, 128.

Could it be that perhaps the 256GB SDSDXXG cards are working?

ktabes

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:32 pm

I'm just wondering, has anyone tried the lesser SanDisk Extreme Cards? The 80 or 90mbps ones. They're the yellow cards. They're listed on Blackmagic's website saying it's good enough for prores HQ recording.

CJ Maynard

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 12:07 am

vanschr wrote:Could it be that perhaps the 256GB SDSDXXG cards are working?

Not for me. I've got two 256G cards from that batch that I had to return.

Drive Me Home

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 10:54 am

Has anyone managed to find alternative cards that work? I bought the micro camera and video assist especially for 2 upcoming shoots and am now stuck with no media to record onto (need 50p RAW). Scrambling to buy refurbished 32GB U1 cards on eBay in the hope that some will work...

Johan Cramer

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Drive Me Home wrote:Has anyone managed to find alternative cards that work?

Yes, see my posting about the Samsung 256GB card further above.

Drive Me Home

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Johan Cramer wrote:

Yes, see my posting about the Samsung 256GB card further above.

Thanks Johan - I saw that, but didn't look further into it as someone else replied that they had dropped frames after a few seconds with 3:1 RAW. Can you confirm that RAW/ 1080p/ 50fps works for you with these? It'd be a life saver if it did! Cheers.

Johan Cramer

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Drive Me Home wrote:
Johan Cramer wrote:

Thanks Johan - I saw that, but didn't look further into it as someone else replied that they had dropped frames after a few seconds with 3:1 RAW. Can you confirm that RAW/ 1080p/ 50fps works for you with these? It'd be a life saver if it did! Cheers.

Just tested it on the Pocket 4K in 3:1 RAW 50p in 1080p window mode, and it works. But I don't know whether these results will be reproducible on the Micro.

Drive Me Home

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 11:25 am

Johan Cramer wrote:Just tested it on the Pocket 4K in 3:1 RAW 50p in 1080p window mode, and it works. But I don't know whether these results will be reproducible on the Micro.

Well, I just got a card anyway and tested it on the Micro, unfortunately got dropped frames after a few seconds, so no good for me... Back to square one :(

Eugene Davydov

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm

I've got 3 Sandisk Extreme Pros SDSDXXG. Two are of 64GB and one is of 128GB, all these work to some extent and then start dropping the frames in any record mode (RAW/ProRes). They do record fine up to 30 to 60 seconds and then it starts...
I've bought bmpcc recently instead of my older one (that was lost along with the SD cards) and was very frustrated since i thought there's a problem with this particular cam - and I didn't experience this at all with the old cam.
And then, I suspected that there's a problem with the cards, and after a few unsuccessful attempts of buying correct card I have read on BM site that theres a problem with the newer cards. I'm not sure whats the reason of such weird interaction of bmpcc and this media, I guess that Sandisk simply optimized the newer ones with cheaper controller or stuff, since new version of higher capacity of 512 gigs (most expensive one) works fine as some of the users report, and its still, non V30 version.

CJ Maynard

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:13 pm

CJ Maynard wrote:Hi, new to the forums and signed up mainly to post this info. I also just bought a Micro and a couple of Sandisk cards that are not working! I opened up a dialogue with both Sandisk and Blackmagic about it, and while Blackmagic's tech support was much nicer about it, neither company seems to want to own this problem.

For those like me who just need a card to record on NOW, I can report that I purchased this card from Amazon:

Sony 128GB High Performance Class 10 UHS-1/U3 SDHC up to 95MB/s Memory Card (SF16UZ/TQN)

Not sure if I can post a link or not, but search the product name and it'll come right up, and the seller is Sony themselves.

It read the card immediately and I was able to run off about a minute of RAW footage without dropping any frames. I'll do some more test shooting in a couple of days and report back how it behaves, but so far, so good.

Just checking back in - I haven't been able to do tons of tests with it yet, but this Sony 128G card has successfully recorded RAW/24fps for about 5-6 minutes and ProRes 422/60 fps for about 5-6 minutes, with no dropped frames in my Micro. Not a comprehensive test, of course, but encouraging!
Last edited by CJ Maynard on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MannyB

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 3:22 am

Has anyone had success with the micro SD cards? The new ones don't carry the SDSDXX serial. For example, there is a 64GB micro sd extreme pro: SDSQXCY-064G-GN6MA. Does anyone know if these work?

MannyB

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 am

I have tested the 64GB micro-sd, SDSQXCY-064G-GN6MA, and it is not working.
Previous

Return to Cinematography