Am I missing something? 120fps looks like a strobe light?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

aglyons

Am I missing something? 120fps looks like a strobe light?

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:14 am

Testing out 24/120fps and the results are leaving me confused.

It's not smooth slo-mo at all. It's more stuttering video like it was shot in a room with a strobe light.

WTF am I missing? Config? Lemon?

Shooting in ProresLT to a SammyT5 500GB. Meta Ultra .71 with a Nikon 14-24 2.8.

Pulling into Resolve Studio 15.2.1.005. Timeline is 24p 1080p

youtube com/watch?v=wrnqFBIn6NM

Alain Bourassa

Re: Am I missing something? 120fps looks like a strobe light

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:27 pm

first what was your light source and and what's the electrical cycle where it was shot ? 50 or 60 hertz ?

99% of the times strobing in slow motion with artificial light is related to a direct relation between AC lights and shutter speed

aglyons

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Resolved today. Entirely my fault. I was shooting a projector screen.

It never occurred to me that that would be the result.

I shot some footage today of myself and that worked out just fine.

No problems with that functionality but I now have other physical issues. From what I gather reading other people posts, I guess BM has a little problem with production and QC. So many units going out with simple physical issues. Anyone else having problems with the power supply or port not maintaining a constant connection? Mine drops the connection if the plug is slightly rotated.

David Chapman

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Just judging from your initial post, are you sure you have the plug engaged correctly? It’s a locking pin and shouldn’t unplug easily.

I don’t know where the hype of shoddy QC came from because generally most people don’t have any issues. Maybe competitors making false claims online because they don’t like Blackmagic Design? I’ve only heard a few people mention a fault with the battery door, but most people seem to be just fine without any issue.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

aglyons

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 9:15 pm

@David

Here's a video of the power port behaviour -

I also have some issues with the battery door not closing all the way. I have to manually slide the catch over so that it holds. In fact, when I first opened the box, the battery door was already open.

I've seen so many reviews, from independent people, that point out issues such as batteries dying with 30% still showing on the screen. The odd behaviour with SSD drives not mounting randomly (seen that happen to me and it's repeatable). In all, they are small things (so far) but all those small things add up to questioning whether you can trust the camera on a production job. At the present time. I'm sure all of these things will get worked out and future units will come flying out perfect. Until then.......

Robert Niessner

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 10:47 pm

aglyons wrote:I've seen so many reviews, from independent people, that point out issues such as batteries dying with 30% still showing on the screen.

Well, what I have seen is that many people do not understand how electricity and batteries work. I agree that the way how BMD shows the remaining capacity leaves a lot of room for improvements.
BUT people think because a third party battery works in their DSLR and has problems in the PCC4K there must be a QC with Blackmagic. The reality is that the PCC4K draws a lot more power from the battery and this just breaks the power supply cheap third party batteries can sustain. The genuine Canon LP-E6N works nicely together with the PCC4K down to a few percent left.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 1:39 am

Moved.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AndreeMarkefors

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 10:50 am

aglyons wrote:Here's a video of the power port behaviour.

Yes, that looks defective.

On the other topic: in today's day and age, everyone is a publicist. If someone's got an opinion—it's immediately out there. Traditionally, you'd want someone else – an editor – to look at what you write and check for errors and references; to shape the raw material into something insightful...

YouTube* and most blogs are built on uploaders eager to jump the gun and an audience not caring.

*= not referring to your video here.
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

David Chapman

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:04 pm

I just checked my power cable (and Wooden Camera dtap cable) and both fit much more securely than yours shows in the video. Fingers crossed it is just the cable? I'd definitely call in and I'm sure they'd send you a new cable—especially with the video.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

aglyons

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:20 pm

David Chapman wrote:I'd definitely call in and I'm sure they'd send you a new cable—especially with the video.

I suggested we try a new cable but they are not interested in trying that first. They want me to ship the while kit back to them so they can take a look at it.

Also, being I'm in Canada, I have to provide commercial invoices, a tax ID and locate a brokerage to process the shipment. All at my cost! I've had this for two days and used it once to test it out. IMO is DOA and a new one should be shipped out ASAP.

I've dealt with DJI on warranty repairs in the past and even they, with their stellar support (sarcasm) provided all of that information with the RMA. I don't get an RMA until I provide all the info they are requesting.

I understand there are those that hold BM in high regard (polite way of saying fanboy). I'm not a fanboy, at least not yet. My allegiance needs to be earned. Yeah, I'm not Hollywood making a huge production. But then again, my concerns are not as large as theirs either. I don't need 10 ursa's replaced. Just one power supply and maybe, just maybe a P4K.

joe12south

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:09 pm

I love what I can do with this camera, but I don't the see the point in defending the Pocket 4K's obvious weaknesses:

1. I've never owned a camera with more physical/QC defects being reported. (From real owners, not shills.)

2. I've never owned a more flimsy camera. I've handled cheap consumer camcorders with better batty doors. A GoPro is better built. ;-)

3. I've never owned a camera with worse battery management, even if you discount the short run time. BMD wasn't forced to use LP-E6 batteries. Nobody held a gun to their head and said that the battery they ship with the camera must not even work correctly with the camera's default battery display!

4. Audio levels are stupidly low.

It really annoys me to constantly hear people claim that because this is a "professional" camera at $1,300 we should accept that it's built like crap and has obvious design flaws. The best way to find work-arounds is to acknowledge issues...even better, BMD just might address some of them.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

aglyons

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 pm

@joesouth

I was thinking about the battery choice as well. I picked up a Ronin-s (originally), ended up bringing it back because of compatibility issues. I looked at the Moza Air 2 as an alternative but one thing kinda bugged me. The use of 18650 batteries. But now, the 18650 batteries actually make more sense. They're cheaper than the ronin-s batteries and they are readily available. No stock issues to deal with.

That got me to thinking. How come BMD couldn't have put two 18650 batteries in this sucker. Yeah, it may make it a slight bit bigger but I'm sure it would have had better battery life. It's the same with cell phones. Mfg's are so hell-bent on making them as thin as possible when what the consumer wants is a phone where the battery will last days. Not hours or minutes.

What makes me scratch my head is why we have to modify it right after taking it out of the box in order to do with it what we want (case in point, this guy
) This guy takes it out of the box and before he goes to use it, is forced to make mods.

I'm going to love this camera, I know it. It's just going to take a little time.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:24 am

Have you ever googled whats inside the LP-6 battery ;)
It is a smaller version of the 18650 battery's with an added circuitry protection, to prevent over charging, draining the battery to a voltage it wont recover from, short out protection etc..
But yes a LP6 battery is not really known for it's long lifetime in usage.. On my VideoAssist i can run 30 minutes with 2 battery's on the back.. Only 30 minutes.. But hey they are cheap to buy and the VA will let you swap over batterys without interuption.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

aglyons

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 4:19 am

Xtreemtec - 18650 batteries got their name due to their size. 18mmx65mm. The capacity of just one 18650 is over twice that of the LPE6. The LPE6 packs' cells are much smaller in size and capacity.

The Moza Air 2 has 4 of them and the gimbal can power the P4K and the gimbal for about 6 hours from what I've read. Now that's powering gimbal motors and the camera. Imagine how long the camera alone would run if it had two of those cells in it.

Yeah, it'd be a little bit bigger but who are we kidding. BMD did name it pocket but it sure don't fit in a pocket (smiles).

Robert Niessner

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 4:09 am

aglyons wrote:Xtreemtec - 18650 batteries got their name due to their size. 18mmx65mm. The capacity of just one 18650 is over twice that of the LPE6. The LPE6 packs' cells are much smaller in size and capacity.

The Moza Air 2 has 4 of them and the gimbal can power the P4K and the gimbal for about 6 hours from what I've read. Now that's powering gimbal motors and the camera. Imagine how long the camera alone would run if it had two of those cells in it.

Seems you do not fully understand how V, mAh, and Wh are connected to each other...
A typical high quality 18650 has a true capacity of ~3000mAh and 3.6V. That means it has 3.000x3.6 = 9.6Wh
The genuine Canon LP-E6N has 7.2V and 1865mAh which results in 13.43Wh
You need two 18650 in series to reach 7.2V, hence capacity stays at 3000mAh and a total of 19.2Wh or 40% more energy.
As the PCC4K alone consumes around 21W a pack of four 18650 batteries at 7.2V combined will last for less than 2 hours.

Even 18650s with 3300mAh would only last for 2h15m - and ATM any claims of higher capacities than 3300Ah are more than dubious.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 4:53 am

I think this just illustrates how energy efficient current gimbals can be, my Zhiyun is running four hours with two of them. But don’t judge the camera’s needs from that.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:But yes a LP6 battery is not really known for it's long lifetime in usage.. On my VideoAssist i can run 30 minutes with 2 battery's on the back.. Only 30 minutes.. But hey they are cheap to buy and the VA will let you swap over batterys without interuption.. ;)

I had patona yellow, 1350 mAp, and on my va4k have 70 minutes of monitoring or recording (not change duration). Please if you not spent on original canon buy enough good compatible stuff.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography