Stuck battery in the BMPCC 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

saleh3z

Stuck battery in the BMPCC 4K

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 3:31 am

I used an off brand LP E6 battery from Amazon and the battery got stuck. I managed to get it out. Now the original BM battery that came with the camera is stuck too. WHAT is happening why is this happening.

saleh3z

Re: Stuck battery in the BMPCC 4K

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 am

Australian Image wrote:This is very common with knockoff batteries as they aren't manufactured to the same specification as an OEM Canon battery. Another issue with knockoff batteries is that they can also swell when charged and/or get warm, so that also exacerbates the issue. These are some of the reasons why I've avoided knockoff batteries after learning my lesson years ago.

How come third party batteries only get stuck in the BMPCC 4K and not other canon/panasonic cameras?

Now even my original BM battery is stuck :)

Steven Kornreich

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 9:36 pm

I just purchased a Geniune Canon Battery Pack LP-E6N from Amazon, put it in my BMPCC 4K, worked great, the battery indicator showed percentage, shot for about 35 minutes and when I went to take out the battery to recharge it was STUCK.. WTF

I also own 2 Black Magic Design batteries which I purchased when i got my camera and these have never gotten stuck yet no battery percentage

I just called Black Magic Supprt, which is a joke IMHO, all the representative said in broken English was they know about the issue and have no fix.

I don’t know what’s going on.

Dune00z

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 10:07 pm

I would not trust buying certain things on Amazon. I have received counterfeit products through there several times. I am not sure if you received a counterfeit battery or not but I have not had any issues whatsoever with batteries getting stuck and the only ones I have used are genuine Canon batteries from trusted retailers such as b&h and the BMD battery that came with the camera. Try using gaff tape to pull the battery out. This has worked with swollen off brand batteries in my other cameras

Steven Kornreich

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 10:29 pm

I am 100% sure that the Canon Battery I purchased was real and not a counterfeit,
Yes purchased through amazon but it came from Adorama.

Steven Kornreich

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Looks real to me
Attachments
4306F2A3-AD27-41D3-9318-DA22071C4929.jpeg
4306F2A3-AD27-41D3-9318-DA22071C4929.jpeg (904.58 KiB) Viewed 2331 times

Ryan Payne

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:20 pm

the plastic around the power pins looks bent inward. Just an observation.

Ryan Payne

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:35 pm

Post here with a fake LP-E6 that has the foil stamp date

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index ... ies.30370/

So it is possible to get a fake that looks very close to the original however batteries getting stuck seem to be more of an issue in manufacturing and that the little pins in the camera that read the battery % are getting stuck.

Edit - I think it may be fake. Noticed a spelling/ grammer mistake 'DONOT open' missing a space and in Australian Images example there's a space.

Ryan Payne

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:41 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Ryan Payne wrote:Edit - I think it may be fake. Noticed a spelling/ grammer mistake 'DONOT open' missing a space and in Australian Images example there's a space.

It's often little things like that which distinguish fakes, but there are a lot more indicators between the two.

The packaging it came in is another great indicator.

the overall construction of your battery looks much more uniform and refined. 3rd party suppliers can also be tricked into buying fakes. Good news is you can contact canon or head into a service centre to have them verify that its a fake and notify them that it came from adorama. Show Adorama canons response and they'll pull the product and refund your money.

Steven Kornreich

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:47 pm

I wanted to thank everyone for there input. Yes I did notice that there is no space in DONOT OPEN.
My battery is cleary a fake, bummer, the packaging looked 100% legit.
Even the battery percentage worked which it doesn’t with my Black Magic Batteries.

I also wanted to add according to Canon Rumors

“A few years ago I had a similar issue with fakes. Canon confirmed that authentic LP-E6 will always haven an 8-digit serial number (I have 5 and they all do). So, this is a quick way to do an extra check :)

Which if true Australian Image battery is also a fake..
Last edited by Steven Kornreich on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan Payne

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Steven Kornreich wrote:I wanted to thank everyone for there input. Yes I did notice that there is no space in DONOT OPEN.
Even the battery percentage worked which it doesn’t with my Black Magic Batteries.

The crazy part is I went to buy some LP-E6 and figured I'd go right to the source but the Australian Canon store simply has them as 'out of stock' so I'm not too sure where would be best to pick one up as everyone else is 3rd party.

Steven Kornreich

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Ryan Payne wrote:
Steven Kornreich wrote:I wanted to thank everyone for there input. Yes I did notice that there is no space in DONOT OPEN.

The crazy part is I went to buy some LP-E6 and figured I'd go right to the source but the Australian Canon store simply has them as 'out of stock' so I'm not too sure where would be best to pick one up as everyone else is 3rd party.

Is it true that Geniune Canon batteries have an 8 digit serial # if so Australian Image battery is fake also

Steven Kornreich

PostSat Dec 22, 2018 12:18 am

Australian Image wrote:
Steven Kornreich wrote:Is it true that Geniune Canon batteries have an 8 digit serial # if so Australian Image battery is fake also

No, what's embossed on the label is the date of manufacture, the serial number is visible in-camera with Canon cameras.

I might also point out that both my Canon batteries slide in and out of the camera with ease.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying

Dune00z

PostSat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 am

I just cross checked my batteries with the two images shown here. Mine look like Australian Image's battery and not like the trouble battery. There are indications in the spacing in the characters that show me that the trouble battery is a counterfeit.

I can tell you in my experience shopping on Amazon that I have ordered things that were supposed to be sold by 1 seller, but for some reason the product I received came from a different one, and they tried to Alibaba me. You know, where they say there's nothing wrong with the obviously counterfeit product after offering a 15 percent discount or whatever. Not sure if that happened to you here, but you could check. I have since the last few times ordered important camera supplies directly through BH, Adorama, or local stores ever since the last time.

The good news is, its not the camera, so no RMA should be needed? :)

Your local trusted camera shops SHOULD have real batteries.

SoCalledCreative

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm

I made a video with a solution.
hope it helps!

Return to Cinematography