Backordered batteries????

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brian Millbrook

Backordered batteries????

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:41 pm

I purchased 4 extra blackmagic brand LP-E6 batteries on Thanksgiving. I received a call from B&H today telling me those batteries are on backorder from the manufacturer until Feb 2019. Wow!! Anyone else know of any retailers that have them in stock? Or any other brand that works good? Canon brand charges $75/battery. The pocket 4K drinks batteries, and I never get more than about 35mins from each battery. I'm only looking for Lp-e6 battery options because I'm going to be using it with a gimbal frequently.

I have a vmount battery attached to my shoulder rig, I also see the blackmagic cable pack is back ordered as well. Anyone know of a good cable option. Dtap to 2pin? I want to avoid dummy batteries if possible. Thanks for any recommendations on both of these power solutions.

David Chapman

Re: Backordered batteries????

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:54 pm

For the cable, Wooden Camera has one and that’s what I went with (because the cable from BMD has been backordered for a long time).

From my experience, Watson LPe6 batteries work fine. I have a ton and I didn’t want to invest in more. Though you can also just attach the v-mount to your gimbal (if it’s large enough) and run a cable to it. Would save you a lot of time from changing out lpe6’s every 30-50ish minutes.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

dondidnod

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 3:44 am

If you already have a D-Tap battery then you can go to Aliexpress and find the 508mm Anton Bauer P-Tap DTap D-Tap to BMPCC 4K BMPCC4K Power Cables from the GOPHOTO Store for $27.90 with free shipping. I got a couple of Digital Battery LP-E6 LP E6 E6N for Canon DSLR Cameras from the Ringteam store on Aliexpress. They work but won't pop out like the stock BM battery does. You have to turn the camera upside down and shake for them to come out. I may try sanding them to make it easier.
I just got my Ringteam DC 12V NP-F Battery Power Supply System Mount Adapter Plate Holder for BMPCC 4K. With a Sony NP-F970 I was able to mount it to my Smallrig full cage between the T5 SSD holder and the NATO handle on top.
The BMPCC 4K shows AC on the display. It was only $40 from Aliexpress with free shipping. It took 26 days by boat though.

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:49 pm

I can recommend the power-cable from Aliexpress as well and the knock-off LP-E6 from baxxtar:

https://www.amazon.de/BAXXTAR-Qualitätsakku-Canon-LP-E6-Infochip/dp/B003VR62OW
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

michaeldhead

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 pm

I went with the CORE SWX d-tap coiled cable for P4k - used it on a recent shoot and it works amazing!
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Brian Millbrook

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 am

David Chapman wrote:For the cable, Wooden Camera has one and that’s what I went with (because the cable from BMD has been backordered for a long time).

From my experience, Watson LPe6 batteries work fine. I have a ton and I didn’t want to invest in more. Though you can also just attach the v-mount to your gimbal (if it’s large enough) and run a cable to it. Would save you a lot of time from changing out lpe6’s every 30-50ish minutes.

Thanks David, this looks like the best route for now.

Brian Millbrook

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:50 pm

michaeldhead wrote:I went with the CORE SWX d-tap coiled cable for P4k - used it on a recent shoot and it works amazing!

Could you send me a link of where you purchased yours?

Que Thompson

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 4:34 pm

This + This

Lasts atleast 3.5 hours, I had a shoot recently and used one battery all day (I have two).

Return to Cinematography