MFT Adapter for Nikon F mount Lenses?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gabi Bucataru

MFT Adapter for Nikon F mount Lenses?

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi all -

So I was wondering if you have any recommendations for an MFT adapter for Nikon F-mount lenses. I've got the Pocket 4k and was going to try some of my lenses on it.
Preferably adapters that will automatically push the little lever on the lenses to keep the diaphragm wide open.
Also hoping for an inbuilt diaphragm much as the Viltrox has here (also it's a focal lens reducer): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014XMPL8G

I don't care much about autofocusing so no electronics are needed.

Thanks!

gabi
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

Denny Smith

Re: MFT Adapter for Nikon F mount Lenses?

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Gabri, there are several, Metabones makes both an excellent Speed Booster Ultra for a S35 sensor FOV, supports manual control of iris. Metabones also makes a standard non SB version MFT/NikonG adapter, as does Nolvoflex sells for $190, I have a slightly used one (mint condition) you can have for $95 plus shipping. I also have the Metabones (non SB) adapter, lists $140 and the 15mm Rail support bracket ($130) both in new condition, $200 for both together. PM me for details.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Cooper

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:53 am

As far as I know all Nikon F to anything else, apart to the new mirrorless Nikon, are non electronic adapters (no communication with camera or lense). So they only can have mechanical aperture adjustment. So you could get Nikon F to Canon EF adapter (~3mm thick +cheap), then use EF-MFT speedbooster/adapter so you could also use lenses with Canon EF mount... my plan when ever I get the camera.

Alastair Leith

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:06 am

Slightly OT but can someone please explain to me how the Metabones EF Speed Booster gains the sensor an extra stop? Is it because the MB lens focuses more of the light coming out the back of any given EF lens onto the sensor, resulting in less 'crop' of the light image (i.e. more photons per second)? Or is something else going on? Also why does it draw power?

LennartBöwering

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:12 am

Alastair Leith wrote:Slightly OT but can someone please explain to me how the Metabones EF Speed Booster gains the sensor an extra stop? Is it because the MB lens focuses more of the light coming out the back of any given EF lens onto the sensor, resulting in less 'crop' of the light image (i.e. more photons per second)? Or is something else going on? Also why does it draw power?

You answered it yourself.
Normally without a Speedbooster/focal reducer, the adapted Lens would throw an image circle larger than the camera's (mft-)sensor. Lens elements in the focal reducer focus the light onto a smaller circle that still covers the whole sensor (sometimes also resulting in more vignetting), so your field of view gets bigger and the projected image gets one stop "brighter".
The power draw is only to power the adapted lenses AF and Iris functions, there are "dumb" Nikon-focal reducers that don't need an active mft-mount because they change the iris manually.

Alastair Leith

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks @LennartBöwering

Reason for asking me is that I told this to someone who owns one and he said I was wrong. To be more clear, I was saying that the one-stop gain applies to EF lenses because it eliminates the crop factor to a large extent.

And that an MFT lens that has equivalent focal length to the EF lens on a MB convertor (after multiplying by focal length by X for the crop factor) would be getting a similar amount of light hitting the sensor for the equivalent/same aperture. It's not like EF on MG SB finds more light than a MFT lens with similar glass quality etc. The only way it can get more light for the same aperture that I can think of is having a significantly wider diameter at the front of the lens, and faster glass that wastes less of the available photons.

If I bought a Nikkor prime lens designed primarily for their DX cameras and a similarly priced EF prime lens designed for Nikon FF cameras, and after the conversion of the focal lengths taking the MB SB convertor into account, which I don't understand the math of well enough to give an example, but let's just abbreviate to say they end up with the same image on the sensor, is the MFT lens going to be a stop darker than the converted EF lens, assuming that the glass/coatings etc was all equivalent quality?

What is the difference bw the Meatbones SB EF converter and their MFT<–EF convertor that doesn't have the SB? Does it have no reducing lens in it at all? Just a change of the lens sockets locks?

Gabi Bucataru

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I figured, I really don't need anything electronic, as I am always doing everything manual anyways. The one I ordered is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072XF4L4J

- Build-in 4 groups,5pcs optical glasses, manually adjust aperture . (F2-F8 adjusting scale ). Allowing you to get in the larger area of light and achieve the depth of field that you prefer.
- Reduced imaging focal length, the actual focal length after using mount adapter for 0.71 times the focal length.

I already have one for my sony a6500 and it does the job quite well.

Thanks, all!
Gabi
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Seems too good to be true at that price. Kindly let us know how well you like the results when you’ve tested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:37 am

Watch out for soft edges and big blue flares…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

movieowl

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Just make sure the lenses you want to use don't only have electronic aperture control. It was a big surprise for me when I wanted to use the Sigma 14mm f1.8 lens with the Speedbooster Ultra and the lens was stuck wide open.. Several other new Sigma lenses (and some others too) use electronic only aperture like the 14mm f1.8, the 85mm f1.4, 135mm f1.8m, 14-24mm f2.8 and probably a lot more those are just the ones I tested.

Strangely these lenses don't work quite well on RED either... (and the RED has electronic aperture control so maybe that is just a firmware issue)

Lesha_kvaz

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 pm

movieowl wrote:Just make sure the lenses you want to use don't only have electronic aperture control. It was a big surprise for me when I wanted to use the Sigma 14mm f1.8 lens with the Speedbooster Ultra and the lens was stuck wide open.. Several other new Sigma lenses (and some others too) use electronic only aperture like the 14mm f1.8, the 85mm f1.4, 135mm f1.8m, 14-24mm f2.8 and probably a lot more those are just the ones I tested.

Strangely these lenses don't work quite well on RED either... (and the RED has electronic aperture control so maybe that is just a firmware issue)

As i know all nikon lenses have physical iris control.

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm

No, some newer Nikon F lenses have in camera electronic iris control, Nikon AF-S E series lenses, of which the Nikon 105 f/1.4E being an example. Most of the others are zooms.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Iain Bason

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Alastair Leith wrote:What is the difference bw the Meatbones SB EF converter and their MFT<–EF convertor that doesn't have the SB? Does it have no reducing lens in it at all? Just a change of the lens sockets locks?

Yes, that's right. They both allow electronic control of the lens, though.

Return to Cinematography