This would have been a great evf for the bmp4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Australian Image

Re: This would have been a great evf for the bmp4k

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm

I would still rather have what I've been suggesting (greater flexibility), but that device demonstrates that what I'm suggesting is eminently capable of being produced.
https://australianimage.com.au/

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 11:16 pm

This is the reply I received from Vufine.

"Hi Leon,

Thank you for sharing this forum with us, we appreciate it.
We are eager to work with cinematographers because Vufine does work well as a viewfinder for many cameras. However, there is a limitation. Vufine can only accept a 720p HDMI signal and this makes it incompatible with many digital cameras. It does work seamlessly with a lot of Sony cameras, which is why we have a few reviewers sharing their Vufine EVF experience.
There are transmitters you can use to achieve an HDMI signal that is compatible with Vufine, ie Teredek Bolt. However, many of these systems are quite pricey. We hope our next model is compatible with more cameras so we can provide a solution for more cinematographers.

Let me know if you have any other questions!"

This is the compatibility link

https://www.vufine.com/compatibility/
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 6:10 am

Just as a follow-up, I contacted Feelworld (http://www.feelworld.cn/) who make field monitors and other related devices and they've come back to me several times for more information on my EVF suggestion. Whether they seriously follow through with a product and marketing review is another thing, but at least the interest that they are showing is heartening.

There is nothing like this available; a compact, lightweight, flexible use and reasonably priced EVF for an increasingly video oriented camera market. Such a device could be used in numerous cameras, even my Olympus TG-5, and transferred from one system to another with ease. I'll bet if one such device comes out, it will generate a lot of interest and purchases.

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Australian Image wrote:Just as a follow-up, I contacted Feelworld (http://www.feelworld.cn/) who make field monitors and other related devices and they've come back to me several times for more information on my EVF suggestion. Whether they seriously follow through with a product and marketing review is another thing, but at least the interest that they are showing is heartening.

Good to hear.
Maybe Blackmagic will catch the hint. ;)
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Interesting development! Another head mounted viewfinder that I found: https://www.brother.nl/bedrijfsoplossingen/airscouter

They also seem to have a cheaper one for about 600$

Can found here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=AirScouter%20WD-200B%20&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

the 300 series used with the black magic:

Only negative side is probably price and it’s a bit bulky for traveling. I like the idea of VF-4 better because of its size.. so hopefully we can find something like that instead. Still… seem kind of handy for those difficult shooting angles.

ricardo marty

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 4:08 pm

I see more production and creative flexibility in a head-mounted EVF. I think this is the way. Maybe even having the capability to use either by head mount or on camera. The AiRScouter 300-series could be made detachable and mounted on a cold shoe. With this, i wouldn't need a monitor for high or lower shots with my bmp4k. The price should be close to $500.

Ricardo Marty
Last edited by ricardo marty on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resolve 15.2,Abelton,Focusrite, Adobe cs/6, Cinegy extreme.
Inspiron 5675 1800x 8/16 core, Radeon RX580/8,16 gb ram, 512 sd, 500 samsung Pro ssd.
Lenovo Y520, Quad 1777hq,NV1059/6,16gb ram,512 nvme sd, 1tb samsung evo pr
Sony FS700R, Bmp 4k,

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Yes, this Air Scooter would be nice, if it took a 1080p signal, but alas, it only accepts a 720p signal. :(
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ricardo marty

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, this Air Scooter would be nice, if it took a 1080p signal, but alas, it only accepts a 720p signal. :(
Cheers

1080 would be nice. But if its uses yendo 720 why not? Its only a vf. For everything else you have the camera's monitor or a external monitor.
Last edited by ricardo marty on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inspiron 5675 1800x 8/16 core, Radeon RX580/8,16 gb ram, 512 sd, 500 samsung Pro ssd.
Sony FS700R, Bmp 4k,

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:39 pm

ricardo marty wrote:I see more production and creative flexibility in a head-mounted EVF. I think this is the way. Maybe even having the capability to use either by head mount or on camera. The AiRScouter 300-series could be made detachable and mounted on a cold shoe. With this, i wouldn't need a monitor for high or lower shots with my bmp4k. The price should be close to $500.

Ricardo Marty

The problem with head mounted EVFs is that it can become quite a chore to use for those who wear glasses. If the EVF is able to be mounted to existing glasses, it then becomes a case of constantly attaching and removing, which will become tiresome after a while. With larger units, it may be impossible to use with existing glasses.

ricardo marty

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 pm

I read some reviews at bh or somewhere else that says it works well with clases.

Ricardo Marty
Sony FS700R, Bmp 4k,

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 pm

ricardo marty wrote:I read some reviews at bh or somewhere else that says it works well with clases.

Ricardo Marty

These EVFs may technically work with glasses, but from a glasses wearer's point of view, they will most likely end up being a pain in the butt.

Consider that with the ones attached to the glasses, you're now looking at the world through just one eye, it becomes even worse if the EVF only attaches to one side, which may be your weaker of stronger eye and therefore affect general sight and things like balance and situational awareness.

Then there's the fact that it adds a lot of weight, not even considering the cable dragging on the glasses, which will affect the positioning of the glasses on your face. Just look at Tom's glasses and how askew they are on his face.

Then with the head mounted units, you now have a device that will, after a while, become somewhat uncomfortable and in hot conditions even more so as well as sweaty. If you've ever worn a head mounted torch for any time, they become less than comfortable after a while. With these EVFs, this will become even more uncomfortable if you have to keep adjusting the tension so that the EVF maintains its position.

I'm not saying they won't work for some situations and some users, but I suspect that they will not catch on for the majority of cases. For someone using a shoulder mount or tripod based rig, a traditional style EVF is much better. And, in most situations, a field monitor will serve better for at least 95% of cases.

ricardo marty

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm

The above 300 series looks like it could be hacked or developed to work both as an on camera evf or mounted as shows. I prefer an option like this. Because the v4 would be limiting inmop. Though it would be setter than nothing.

Ricardo Marty
Sony FS700R, Bmp 4k,

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm

ricardo marty wrote:The above 300 series looks like it could be hacked or developed to work both as an on camera evf or mounted as shows. I prefer an option like this. Because the v4 would be limiting inmop. Though it would be setter than nothing.

Ricardo Marty

The VF-4 is purely an example of a smaller sized EVF, it doesn't have to be exactly that size. But it most certainly should be smaller than all current EVFs, else there's no point in even considering the idea.
Previous

Return to Cinematography