Compact bluetooth remote to start/stop recording pocket4k?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

dsorbera

Compact bluetooth remote to start/stop recording pocket4k?

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 4:50 pm

I realize there are phone apps now that can start/stop recording on the pocket 4k. Does anyone know if there is a miniature push button bluetooth remote that could pair with the camera to start/stop recording?

I want to be able to shoulder mount the rig on top of my shoulder and use an EVF to see (ala Zacuto recoil) BUT right now I can't start/stop recording without reaching up on the RIGHT side of the camera which is very difficult to do. Why on earth did blackmagic put a 2nd record button on the face of the camera RIGHT NEXT TO THE OTHER RECORD BUTTON?? I wish they put it on the left side of the lens mount...

Australian Image

Re: Compact bluetooth remote to start/stop recording pocket4

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 7:03 pm

I've posted about that already. In fact I contacted Viltrox to see if that might generate some interest to make something like this, as they make wireless remotes amongst other things.

I fully agree with you, this is something that I really want over any mobile phone app that's quite impractical when using a rig, shoulder or tripod mounted.
https://australianimage.com.au/

John Morris

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 am

I've started looking at doing this. Not sure I'll be up for making a commercial product though. Would there be a market to sell more than 100?
I intended to start with a microcontroller that had Bluetooth, but I brought the wrong one with me on holiday. So I'm just trying out communicating with the camera using a raspberry pi. I think pairing the device with the camera in some simple way might be an issue (how to input the code for pairing just using a few buttons).
Last edited by John Morris on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NVIDIA 750Ti 2GB
NVIDIA driver version 410.78
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 15.2.2 1 GPU
Linux Mint 18.3

Australian Image

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 2:54 am

Anyone that comes up with something really simple ie just a start record/stop record device should be able to sell plenty. But the device needs to be made such that it offers the ability to be attached in numerous ways to a rig handle, fluid head handle or just hand held. It can't be too small, nor too large and needs to be shaped such that it is easy to use when attached to a handle. Such an ergonomic design is going to take some thought.
https://australianimage.com.au/

Return to Cinematography