old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 am

Denny Smith wrote:I do not need to “prove” it, as BM stated this when the Micro Camera was released, read back though the previous discussions, you wil, find it. ;)

Also, you can work this out, the Micro Cinema camera has a faster sensor readout time, improved moire’, and a slightly different IQ to the original Pocket, all of which, along with the faster frame rates, indicate a different video processor and/or sensor controller is being used, along with the addition of a fan inside the camera. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Micro Cinema and Micro Studio 4K share some of the same circuits inside, also.
Cheers


Denny, I was going post, do you have any proof of the things you say? Lee should want to prove wherever it is right. But my compromised wide 50p mode should accommodates a lot less data rate and heat than a fullframe 60p mode. So, it would have higher possibility of being possible. Even if you end up with some ML like odd resolution windowed. Will 1800 or 1600 wide-screen work? People upscale arri footage and other around here seem 'happy' with that.

In your 'theory' it light not be possible, but where's the proof. So, let Lee prove it?

But I must say, apart from caution, I agree that Lee should look at pervious work and discussion to learn more!

I have not read anything myself that proves it can't, just hyperbola conjecture, which skeptics seem to roll out. Instead of it not only 'might be impossible', it sensationally CAN'T be possible according to them.

People have to learn the psychological game, skeptics are often supporting their side trying to crush 'dissent'. Their 'wisdom' comes crashing to the ground when wrong.
Unfortunately they hold back human development historically, as they oppose what is eventually proved true (maybe long after people are dead or good or gone) just to boost ego and significance from being the one that objects. They have held back maybe 99% of human development.

The question in a great engineer's mind is "How can it be done reasonably?" Rather than "It can't be done", or how it can't he done (useful information to validate and work around or through). But it takes a lot more work to do the former, and weak engineers do the latter. I have been watching this series on netflix a few days ago, called Seven Wonders of the Industrialised World. It was amazing how many of these engineers, who did what nobody else had ever done before, thought like this. But why the guys with the Panama canal never figured out to use the water to gorge out a significant portion of the channel and take the dirt away (I know that the wash down stream causes issues, but it is more realistic, and you prepare, plan for and accommodate the wash problems. It is probably the usual thing, that it costs more upfront and the alternative looks simplistically better but is actually more over time). I see this stuff everywhere, ralxking up great amounts.


So, are there links to how it's impossible which can be posted? Csaba, as far as I can tell, didn't post one link which showed anything couldn't work?

If you are going come the negative in this type of situation, it is up to you to prove something.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 3:15 am

I tell you what, a Micro studio at $500AU with LCD would be worth buying. By the time Braw comes out for the pocket 4k, and a future pocket gets more original pocket like color, the micro won't be worth $995. I question its worth now. But at under $500AU, I would consider buying one as an extra. But that's dreaming, something better is probably coming.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 am

Dear Steven, I find your contributions very interesting. You have human knowledge in any case.

There's no evidence at all that it's not working. There is more evidence that it can work. And BMMCC is the prove.

Peaceful greetings
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 11440
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 7:05 pm

The BMMCC proves the sensor can produce a 60pfs frame rate, and maintain its IQ, with the additional required cooling (internal fan) and improved processors. It does not prove you can do the same inside the existing original Pocket camera. FYI, you can buy a slightly used BMMMC for around €500, look around.
Goodby
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 7:16 am

Buying a micro for yourself is not going help pocket owners one bit. Lee. If you are not able to do it, that is OK. With enough evidence, somebody else could, if possible.

The thing about corporate thinking. In the past BM has held things back because it wouldn't give guaranteed quality (something in regard to recording RAW on the pocket or earlier, which I contacted them about a few simple compression ideas). If quality user product experience is the goal, then anything lower quality, even though possible, can get the axe in order to preserve product line quality reputation. But, the sort of things 50 fps is related to is video industry work, which is lower quality, so, by putting it in current data rates, I imagine you still get acceptable quality for pro video and base line film, on current recording media. 50p/60p tends to compress better too. So quality is not an real issue there.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 am

The other thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84865&start=150#p473306 was blocked, with the reason: "This thread has run its course and is therefore being locked."

It would be good if we could continue peacefully for here. :)

So why not 48, 50 or 60fps if the BMPCC technically can do that. And what can we do to unlock it? :)
Offline

robstowell

  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 5:20 am

I've skimmed a lot of this, so apologies if it's been canvassed - but it would be a great gesture from BM if they'd release the last firmware and let anyone courageous enough hack it to hearts content. It might seem like giving away value, but without the GH1 and 2 hacks - and magic lantern, for that matter - dslr video production wouldn't be near where it is today - and people bought lots of cameras because of the hacks, rather than despite them. Maybe we should start a petition? :)
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 5:53 am

robstowell wrote:I've skimmed a lot of this, so apologies if it's been canvassed - but it would be a great gesture from BM if they'd release the last firmware and let anyone courageous enough hack it to hearts content. It might seem like giving away value, but without the GH1 and 2 hacks - and magic lantern, for that matter - dslr video production wouldn't be near where it is today - and people bought lots of cameras because of the hacks, rather than despite them. Maybe we should start a petition? :)


That's it. Your suggestion is very good. :)
Offline
User avatar

Valery Axenov

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am
  • Real Name: Valery Axenov

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 12:59 pm

lee4ever wrote:
robstowell wrote: Maybe we should start a petition? :)


That's it. Your suggestion is very good. :)


I will add only one argument and pic from my 16mm camera I have in use from time to time. I think that 2, 4, 8, 16 and 64fps (for original cine art footage look ) should be great to original BMPCC as a real Pro 16mm Cine Camera.


ps BM really made a great step in cinematography by releasing of original BMPCC to the market with all this pro specification inside of the camera. It's true Pro 16mm Cine Camera with great form factor. I think they understand this fact and should be proud of this particular achievement. I think that it may be not bad idea for BM to return back the original page with BMPCC as-is to website (may be as a part of BM camera museum). No jokes BMPCC is a legend. (With list of names of the world famous directors and films where footage from BMPCC have been used. I know at least one film with Prize from Venice Film Festival by Andrey Konchalovsky "Paradise" 2016. Here BMPCC with vintage cine S16 lenses beat 35mm Alexa, because only of it form factor and unique 16mm footage image).
Attachments
Photo1210е.jpg
Photo1210е.jpg (162.29 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm

BMD doesn't seem to know or they don't care how popular the BMPCC is.

Out of respect for customers who have advertised BMPCC more in the world than BMD itself could ever do, BMD should take up the camera again and update/improve the firmware. :)
Offline
User avatar

Xtreemtec

  • Posts: 3960
  • Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am
  • Location: The Netherlands

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 2:56 pm

lee4ever wrote:BMD doesn't seem to know or they don't care how popular the BMPCC is.

Out of respect for customers who have advertised BMPCC more in the world than BMD itself could ever do, BMD should take up the camera again and update/improve the firmware. :)

I was ignoring these treads.. But i step in and speak my mind!

Lee i'm getting a bit tired about your "I WANT 60FPS BECAUSE IT CAN" rants..
BMD did not close the other topic because it was a very meaningfull conversation..

If you think you can do better. Design a new camera yourself from scratch and stop moaning here that BMD should serve the customers with something you think is possible. BMD does not give out sources, Does not open up hardware to that level. And they will have there reasons for that.

Find yourself some nice Open source camera project were you can help out. Or whatever. But keep bringing this up that BMD did not enough to serve their customers, That the camera could do better, That they just have to uncomment some lines in firmware.. Because a different model camera with the same sensor can do.. Sorry but go spend your energy in something else.. Because it is clear THIS is not going to happen! :!: :!:

You would not go to the Sony forum and demand the same for the Sony 7S series camera because you think you can do better. They released the 7s iii because it can do more then the 7s i It is not because some Firmware the 7s i can be turned in a full featured 7s iii either. :lol: :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I stay with BMPCC and hope that BMD will not give up BMPCC. There's a lot to improve. 8-)
Offline

Chris Whitten

  • Posts: 501
  • Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 pm

At the moment you're just posting in multiple threads, mostly complaining about a camera you don't own and have no plans to use.
Chris Whitten
Offline

michaeldhead

  • Posts: 453
  • Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
If you think you can do better. Design a new camera yourself from scratch and stop moaning here that BMD should serve the customers with something you think is possible. BMD does not give out sources, Does not open up hardware to that level. And they will have there reasons for that.

Find yourself some nice Open source camera project were you can help out. Or whatever. But keep bringing this up that BMD did not enough to serve their customers, That the camera could do better, That they just have to uncomment some lines in firmware.. Because a different model camera with the same sensor can do.. Sorry but go spend your energy in something else.. Because it is clear THIS is not going to happen! :!: :!:


Image
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 11440
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 5:25 pm

lee4ever wrote:Thanks for your feedback. I stay with BMPCC and hope that BMD will not give up BMPCC. There's a lot to improve. 8-)


Lee, I agree with Daniel, and said the same thing to you. BM did improve on the original Pocket Camera, twice :!: The original discussions on this had 30-50 responders, many working professionals, you have less than 10, and most of those are trying to tell you to move on...
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks for your repeated blabla. I stay with BMPCC and hope that BMD will not give up BMPCC. There's a lot to improve. 8-)
Offline

michaeldhead

  • Posts: 453
  • Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 pm

lee4ever wrote:There's a lot to improve. 8-)


You're right. And it's been done. Thank you, BMD.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP
Offline

Gary Stanford

  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 am

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 pm

To quote a wise man:

"This thread has run its course and is therefore being locked."
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 11:24 pm

lee4ever wrote:The other thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84865&start=150#p473306 was blocked, with the reason: "This thread has run its course and is therefore being locked."

It would be good if we could continue peacefully for here. :)


I hope so, after the other thread. Time to stop talking up and start researching to prove further. Sure enough, the people were mistaken about things, refusing to hear "rebuttal", "flogging dead horses" repeatedly shot, making lots of noise because their arguments were "hollow," in fantasy rather than because they have a lot to share correctly, lying to themselves in frantic efforts because they were wrong. But after a while of wearing you guys down here and there, deliberately repeatedly spinning you around, you started making mistakes as well. Which doesn't help lift ones head up high, when somebody googles and finds both sides wrong. It is not definite it can do the frame rate by software/FPGA only, you have proven it might be possible. All this stuff about BM's intention and such forth, how do we know? It doesn't help. BM has virtually done nothing to me I know of, unlike somebody else. So, we can't say something because it maybe. If you guys hope to talk with BM, it's best to keep it to what is known, in respect. And away from people without deep technical understanding (no, being a average camera operator 100% does not qualify somebody in anything like that, except in operating a camera). You can't even speak to many engineers or university professors the deeper you go, there are classes above them. Anybody stuck on what they know, better know a lot to avoid embarrassment. Because what you know does not itself actually make you find new evidence and produce new correct solutions, skill of thinking and ability does (and if anyone can't understand this sort of thing, they Don't really have it). That is another pay grade beyond rote memory, for lack of a better word. But technicians full of presumptions about supposed facts, think they know it and think they are good thinkers, contradicting reality. It's like asking somebody with heavy aspergers, without low latent inhibition, something which is new that does not fit in with their view, they sulk. I can't be possible because they mistakenly think differently. And people with aspergers tend to fill technical jobs.

Now, with you guys, I can see you perhaps are a bit more creative allowing your minds to accept the possibility of outside progress which is not from a source of progress you 'know' and analyse it. Which is a bit more erratic, which doesn't go down well with the other mindset.. It's a bit like going to a shop and asking a sales assistant where something is, in the vain hope they know, before going to look for it anyway because a number of times it's actually there, because they only think they do. Also, like the girl at the shop telling me LCD''s used a white pixel as a "trick", not the OLED in front of us. That she, self importantly, knew it because she sold TV's for a living. Guess who I did not buy from. Incidentally, you can see the staff in shops lapping up the oled marketing spin and actively diverting people away from LCD sets, not aware of the issues outside of SDR brightness levels. A bit like that too. They think they know, and they think they are expert and know, but all they are doing is interpreting some information.

I would say that whole thread was such a debacle it needs deletion. Three people with technical skills, and one hiding, and a whole heap without trying to oppose them. A string of people rudely saying 'No, you don't' and trying to shut down discussion and further investigation to establish actual truth. In a negative impolite rude unfair harassing outing. These were meanly attacking people. So disgusting, so fake. People thinking they are expert in thinking, but far from it, weirdly..

I also saw there a list of third party components, when we were just told that everything is manufactured in house. Which is about the only useful new technical information in the thread, past what had been said here. The service manual thing to, if that was not said here first.

Now, you can at least track down that BM video (which all these people refused to reveal, along with any hard evidence as to why it can't be done) where BM describes their reason why it can't be done. I have looked, and it seems gone. We don't need best quality either, which was quoted as a reason. 50fps is useful without maximum quality.


Australian Image, leave me out of it. I might defend their rights to the truth, but I have not said it must be doable, and am not involved in it. I also don't know where you got my usual argument about refuting false arguments because people on Google etc might be mislead by it.

Anybody that's sees themselves as defenders of supposed truth/convention/so called 'norm' which is only average, had better chill out. There has been many. This is about proving what is actually true.

And guys, don't get this one shut down with the big orange post of death as well.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Hey you nuisances, go away, and stop trying to shut down discussion on doing it. Got nothing to do with you.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 pm

lee4ever wrote:Thanks for your repeated blabla. I stay with BMPCC and hope that BMD will not give up BMPCC. There's a lot to improve. 8-)


Lee, don't double down and enhance. This is TRAWLING (the actual term for Trolling) plain and simple they are trying to provoke you. They are running their fish hooks through here, they have to win by distracting you. Just report them. You may not have unlimited rights, but you don't have no rights.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:12 am

Lee, having a look at your thread title, maybe you should ask to change it to "old BMPCC and 60fps. How to do so?". As that is really the topic, rather than the rhetorical "why not?" .
Still, if you guys really wanted to make a Camera PM me your details. Note, this is hundreds of hours research before you even scratch the surface to really get direction on the hows and what's, on the technical side. Or you can wait for axiom to finish and for low energy FPGA to come out, and just use their design as a basis. They will finish one of these decades. I'm too old to be doing this myself.

I knew two engineers who listened to me and quickly got their cinema cameras up and running, one even interviewed by BM for a job before the first camera. I knew another, person, who didn't, who hired a "professional" programmer, who got bogged down for huge, huge length of the time (predictable) because most professionals aren't that grade, and never released anything. Don't worry, I think he got a bail out. Some live bad dreams, some reality. BM is more living the reality. Still don't think it is the best time to use FPGA.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline
User avatar

Valery Axenov

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am
  • Real Name: Valery Axenov

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:51 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
lee4ever wrote:Thanks for your repeated blabla. I stay with BMPCC and hope that BMD will not give up BMPCC. There's a lot to improve. 8-)


Lee, don't double down and enhance. This is TRAWLING (the actual term for Trolling) plain and simple they are trying to provoke you. They are running their fish hooks through here, they have to win by distracting you. Just report them. You may not have unlimited rights, but you don't have no rights.


I think that it's not necessary to pay any attention to all this. In any research work it's better to deal with critically minded person generating ideas and asking uncomfortable questions than to deal with conformist one.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 am

Lol! +1 Million.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:58 am

Valery Axenov wrote:In any research work it's better to deal with critically minded person generating ideas and asking uncomfortable questions than to deal with conformist one.
..who generate a lot of wind and nonsensical answers.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

Chris Shivers

  • Posts: 276
  • Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:37 am

Why do you even want 60fps? You only use it for slow motion. 95% of the time you use 24/25fps, it’s not gonna make the camera look better.
Offline
User avatar

Valery Axenov

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am
  • Real Name: Valery Axenov

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:13 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
Valery Axenov wrote:In any research work it's better to deal with critically minded person generating ideas and asking uncomfortable questions than to deal with conformist one.
..who generate a lot of wind and nonsensical answers.


)) I remember in my practice one gay who have done a great job for us for a couple of months from "zero" - electric circuit holding without thermal shift 10-8(A) currency gap for our STM (scanning tunneling microscope) for research of surfaces of X-ray mirrors sample ( measuring up to 5 angstrom steps on wide field 10x10 microns). It was 3-year later after IBM Swiss Lab got Nobel Price for discovery of this principle.
So, I have never meet more critically minded person in absolutely all aspects of life.))

Who know may be Lee are able to get this 60fps in principal. Cooling of any solid state is absolutely not a problem.)
Offline
User avatar

Valery Axenov

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am
  • Real Name: Valery Axenov

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:14 am

Chris Shivers wrote:Why do you even want 60fps? You only use it for slow motion. 95% of the time you use 24/25fps, it’s not gonna make the camera look better.


It is a theoretical discussion at the moment.
Offline

Chris Shivers

  • Posts: 276
  • Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:26 am

Valery Axenov wrote:
Chris Shivers wrote:Why do you even want 60fps? You only use it for slow motion. 95% of the time you use 24/25fps, it’s not gonna make the camera look better.


It is a theoretical discussion at the moment.

That’s the thing if it’s theoretical that means it’s not an easy firmware update. Why would they take away some of their R&D on an old camera, when they have plans for the cameras they have now. You will have to replace parts in order to get this working. Then when you’re done it’s not gonna be the same. Also when you start adding hardware then you most likely get more noise since that’s where a lot of noise come from. I don’t think it’s worth it for them business and time wise, especially when they have cameras that already meet these needs.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:15 am

The parts they want to add reduce noise. I personally think that is too much hassle for non-technical. A hacked firmware with some changes is possible and OK for users, but I'm hoping that the registers which define resolution, frame rate, sensor windowing, and the size of frames and data rate for compression (or to push uncompressed out if the HDMI) are able to be changed n as ftwsre, likely by simple profile file and menu configuration, as is fairly normal way on hardware.

Sure this s hardware might have to switch FPGA for different compression circuit, but hopefully it doesn't have to do it for resolution or frame rate (actually, just test if you change frame rate by itself, or resolution by itself, keeping compression and everything else the same, how much it pauses. If it isn't doing a big fpga change, it should be very quick to change between resolutions, or between frame rate. While its possible to rewrite things for special compression at 50fps, you might as well just write the frames uncompressed to a newer SD card (when it was made, SD cards had enough trouble dealing with Raw 30fps, now there are faster cards). Such a thing most might be a simple software/register route be to set up. So there are lots of simpler possibilities for Lee to look at, and he has shown there is capacity in some parts so far to do it, but some parts is not all parts. To prove something wrong, you have to prove it can by right in any desired way (in this case at least) but to prove something right here, you have to prove every component can do it.

So, the term you are thinking of is not theoretical, by hypothetical. Hypothetical means you basically don't have evidence yet, Theoretical means you have some proof to support your original hypothesis. Lee has some proof it could be possible.

There is no need to be talk it down before the horses have finished the race. Lee needs his space to do it.

I would buy a pocket today if it was cheap enough, but I'm still waiting to see what is at NAB. A better thinner micro is more my style. If that was $500, I would say forget this, but it would still be a great charitable contribution to any pocket owner that wanted it.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

Chris Shivers

  • Posts: 276
  • Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:39 am

Wayne Steven wrote:The parts they want to add reduce noise. I personally think that is too much hassle for non-technical. A hacked firmware with some changes is possible and OK for users, but I'm hoping that the registers which define resolution, frame rate, sensor windowing, and the size of frames and data rate for compression (or to push uncompressed out if the HDMI) are able to be changed n as ftwsre, likely by simple profile file and menu configuration, as is fairly normal way on hardware.

Sure this s hardware might have to switch FPGA for different compression circuit, but hopefully it doesn't have to do it for resolution or frame rate (actually, just test if you change frame rate by itself, or resolution by itself, keeping compression and everything else the same, how much it pauses. If it isn't doing a big fpga change, it should be very quick to change between resolutions, or between frame rate. While its possible to rewrite things for special compression at 50fps, you might as well just write the frames uncompressed to a newer SD card (when it was made, SD cards had enough trouble dealing with Raw 30fps, now there are faster cards). Such a thing most might be a simple software/register route be to set up. So there are lots of simpler possibilities for Lee to look at, and he has shown there is capacity in some parts so far to do it, but some parts is not all parts. To prove something wrong, you have to prove it can by right in any desired way (in this case at least) but to prove something right here, you have to prove every component can do it.

So, the term you are thinking of is not theoretical, by hypothetical. Hypothetical means you basically don't have evidence yet, Theoretical means you have some proof to support your original hypothesis. Lee has some proof it could be possible.

There is no need to be talk it down before the horses have finished the race. Lee needs his space to do it.

I would buy a pocket today if it was cheap enough, but I'm still waiting to see what is at NAB. A better thinner micro is more my style. If that was $500, I would say forget this, but it would still be a great charitable contribution to any pocket owner that wanted it.

i mean at the end of the day you gotta ask yourself is it worth it. I know BMD is not gonna go back and change the circuitry in the original pocket just to add 60fps when they already made a camera that replaces that. And if they're doing it themselves then they have to setup a shop that will allow people to bring in their camera to get it modified. On top of that the OS they have in the Pocket cinema camera might not work with the parts they're replacing. So they will need to have their own OS. Also they might run into legal issues due to IP. Unless they setup a guide online, however how many people are willing to do that themselves. Im not trying to tell them not to do it, but you have to the think of the end goals and the ramifications.
Offline

Wayne Steven

  • Posts: 2400
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am
  • Location: Earth

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 am

Well, I would if I were them, and people would regard it as Quality, improving the brand better. But don't worry about this hardware modification thing, there is a lot of simpler options to explore. Yes, it can take time, but it's Charity and that takes time and effort. There is less understanding of charity these days, that is why it says, in the end times the love of men's hearts shall grow cold, and lots of (self serving as well) busyness, which has a related root to the word for evil in one of the languages.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 289
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Dear people,
Let's not argue, life is too short and we should enjoy it.
It's a technical fact that the BMPCC can do more fps and is deliberately disabled by the BMD. The only giant stone on the way is BMD itself. On the giant stone is a sign with a reference to another BM camera. Not for nothing is the BMPCC out while the BMMCC is still supported.

It is not my intention to argue about this. I can only make one decision at the moment, and that's easy, not to buy any more BM products in the future.

Thank you all, especially Steven and Axenov.

I'll just give up and say goodbye.

Peaceful greetings.
Offline

BMD Web Engineering

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:58 am

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Given that the OP is leaving this thread and the topic is theoretical and is generating hostility amongst forum members, it is being locked. If another thread is started on the topic, it is likely to be locked too.
Offline

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 807
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: old BMPCC and 60fps, why not?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 pm

lee4ever wrote:Dear people,
Let's not argue, life is too short and we should enjoy it.
It's a technical fact that the BMPCC can do more fps and is deliberately disabled by the BMD. The only giant stone on the way is BMD itself.


This is categorically untrue. We will never deliberately hold back a feature if it is possible to do.
Previous

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests