8k competition for Blackmagic pocket? Or not?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

DorisLondon

8k competition for Blackmagic pocket? Or not?

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Sharp announce this possible alternative to BM 4k pocket? Or not? Opinions?

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/amp/ ... deo-camera

MishaEngel

Re: 8k competition for Blackmagic pocket? Or not?

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 pm

DorisLondon wrote:Sharp announce this possible alternative to BM 4k pocket? Or not? Opinions?

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/amp/ ... deo-camera

Read this https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10/the-8k-conundrum-when-bad-lenses-mount-good-sensors/ and you will notice it is useless with it's tiny 2.25 um pixels. Todays best (cheap $4500) lenses are just not good enough you will need atleast ~ 3.8 um pixels.

Dune00z

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:44 pm

I think that the price point and IQ would be key factors in determining how much of a competitive edge it would have over the pocket 4k and those are both unknowns.

I mean, likely by then the pocket 4k will have BRAW available and it still would be a third the price of the Sharp. When they say sub 5000, you can assume it will be like 4000-4999.99 so... you would likely be able to own 3 pocket 4k's or one fully tricked out pocket 4k with excellent lenses and some stabilization gear for the price of one 8K Sharp camera. I know which one I would pick there but I have no need for 8K now or in the near future. Maybe some people need 8k acquisition?

I think it is interesting how much Sharp seems to have copied over ideas such as the usb-c storage option and XLR connection. I hope to see more of that from the rest of the manufacturers.

It would be interesting to see if the IQ is decent out of it, how much space the codec(s) will eat, how the OS operates ( I have never in my life used a Sharp camera), etc.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 am

Here is an existing thread in off topic:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84489
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 am

Dune, these things are industry standards. I've been talking about saving through USB and then USB 3 from cheap actual pocket cameras since before USB 3 came out, but I don't accuse BM of copying me (though there has been those in industry who know me who do on other things. The not enough brain cells to rub together to figure it out themselves who copy the suggestion, and arrogantly take the glory without acknowledgement, the kudos in Japanese legal system). It is an unremarkable inevitability that a professional camera requires commonly used, or inevitable to use, ports. Using it on a $100 pocket camera all those years ago was probably more remarkable back then, but no less an inevitable solution. Repurposing something different and unconnected first, like using infrared led as a recording stream is a bit of a leap and not inevitable. I was looking st doing that, but I know there was a camera that at least used it to display pictures to a TV receiver module. Doing something like that first and then the competition copying it, would be copying.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Dune00z

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Wayne,

I honestly don't know who you are as I cannot find you on linkedin in or some other professional source for information gathering on professionals. If you could, please provide me with some kind of information on your work as I would very much like to know about an individual on BMD's forum that seems to claim to have it all figured out years ahead of everybody else in terms of camera design.

Moving on...

By copied over, I say that the company simply did the same thing as a previous model. You can take that as some other meaning if you like, point being, it is the same as the pocket 4k or other cameras that have already come out before the Sharp prototype. I use copy/paste all the time for work and I do not consider this a bad thing, it just is what it is.

If you can point out another set of SLR styled cameras with USB-C storage slots, mini XLR cable plugs, etc. that are implemented in the body of the camera as done in the pocket 4K and Sharp cameras that came out before and established this as an industry standard for such sized cameras, please do so. I claim no specific period or product of originality for anybody or any company because frankly I don't care.

From what I have seen, it is not at all an industry standard to implement professional xlr functionality or USB-C storage embedded to SLR styled camera bodies and I would like you to prove otherwise. I have seen additional modules you can attach for these functions, but hardly implemented into the body itself. My hunch is that there is no such thing.

I would point out that this could BECOME a standard, which I would like very much, and is a movement toward the future instead of this "been there done that" attitude you seem to have.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Go along.

OK. So no professional camera has xlr or USB? The pocket is a professional camera, is it remarkable it has any of that?

Dune00z

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Wayne,

That is not what I said.

I said that cameras with the body type (SLR/Mirrorless) do not have this as a standard. Larger cameras costing far more, yeah of course. At that price point and form, no.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 am

I know. I'm stating the actual case. It is not really a dslr, it is a professional cinema camera. You can sign up with me asking for BM to give it more dslr features in firmware updates (and an quadbayer 8k sensor in future for 4k/8,k shooting and stills) if you want, but it simply isn't that style yet. Yes, I would love it to be too, but it is in shape only so far, marketing. I prefer the sharp idea a bit, thin it down.

I suspect the Sharp is aimed at the prosumer crowd, and that is why it has xlr inputs. I think they did that with the prosumer version of the first Sony fullhd hc1 camcorder around 15 years back, maybe even the one before that.

People hoping it will be $5k out there. It could well be $2k. If using the ambarella chip, it could be as cheap to make as the Pocket 4k. I suspect it won't be doing Bayer raw internal video recording at 8k, but zi welcome being wrong. I wonder if it might be related to the missing Samsung camera design which they didn't release.

Return to Cinematography