BMPCC firmware updates?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Augusto Lombardi

BMPCC firmware updates?

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 am

HI Blackmagic people i'm trying to realize if there is a more up to date firmware than 2.1 for Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, the old glory pocket camera, i scrolled all the updates and read all the description and it looks like there is nothing after 2.1

am i wrong?

there are several things that could be better in that camera and i think that a little update is deserved, a lot of people effectively use this little monster

focus should be better, an option to turn off the screen to save battery when camera is remoted would be good, BM RAW would be great as well...

did you stopped development on that camera? :?: :?

lee4ever

Re: BMPCC firmware updates?

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:35 pm

That's the way it is. There are a lot of Pocket owners who would be looking forward to a new firmware. Me too: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84451#p468040
But some think, the BMPCC is fryed, if the technical possibility is used, which are built into the camera (Spartan 6 FPGA, sCMOS sensor, which becomes according to manufacturer minimally hotter with 100fps.).
Too bad and again too bad that BM seem to give up the camera and there are always users who motivate to do so.

Augusto Lombardi

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:16 pm

if BM decided to stop developing of that camera it would be great to open the firmware to users

so people can modify at it's own risk...but cool things could come up

as happened with panasonig GH1 GH2 GH3.....

i don't know if also this idea was already covered on the forum

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm

The original BMPCC is EOL, and has been rep,aced by a new model. I doubt of BM is going to do any more tweaks to it. Time to move on. That said, both the BMPCC and Micro Cinema camera have a lovely IQ, and the camera’s deliver excellent HD footage. Just because it is nit longer made, does not stop anyone from enjoying the use of one. I still use my old Pana AF100A, which is also EOL.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

lee4ever

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Augusto Lombardi wrote:if BM decided to stop developing of that camera it would be great to open the firmware to users

Also my wish! That would be even better, of course.

Augusto Lombardi

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:37 pm

and ofcourse open fimrware equals to stop warranty and support

i think it's fair enough for both BM and final users

lee4ever

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The original BMPCC is EOL, and has been rep,aced by a new model. I doubt of BM is going to do any more tweaks to it. Time to move on.

There are people who love the picture quality (cinema) of the old BMPCC and buy the old BMPCC again in 2018/19. The BMPCC4k cannot replace the decision for the BMPCC simply because this beloved image quality is not the same.

Valery Axenov

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Good news to be if BM will update only issue with v30 Extreme pro SD cards.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Valery Axenov wrote:Good news to be if BM will update only issue with v30 Extreme pro SD cards.

That's an issue for SanDisk to fix, not Blackmagic Design. And it does sound like SanDisk is coming out with a new version of their SD cards that will work again in the old BMPCC.
Resolve 15, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Valery Axenov

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Valery Axenov wrote:Good news to be if BM will update only issue with v30 Extreme pro SD cards.

That's an issue for SanDisk to fix, not Blackmagic Design. And it does sound like SanDisk is coming out with a new version of their SD cards that will work again in the old BMPCC.

I do not think that SD will release downgrade software for my v30 64Gb Card. From time to time I need to swich on/off my bmpcc to recognaze it. I have warrany from SD and plan to use this card till 2048 accordingly.))) So use at the moment old SD card as prime on board one.

Stewart Fairweather

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 am

if BM decided to stop developing of that camera it would be great to open the firmware to users

There's a long list on manufacturers who could do that but won't.

We see it as a way to improve hardware we own, they see it as infringement of their IP's copyright, or allowing their competitors to read their technologies secrets.

Frankly, it would force manufacturers to innovate more, but if done right with 'official corporate oversight', they could leverage the tech community as developers, rather then just unpaid Beta Testers.

It would boost a companies own products, if owner groups were able to come up with the code for features we want when we're working with the cameras - using my Cion as example, I'd love Raw at 1080p, 4:3 mode for Anamorphics, higher frame rates at 10 or 8 bit, instead of only doing 12 bit.

A user group could come up with the code, test on out-of-warranty bodies, then submit the code to the manufacturer for ratification and certification, with the manufacturer then offering it as 'Community Driven Add-on Features'

The manufacturer would then know exactly what features us operators want in future models.

I'm betting that the first company to do it, will end up with a user base more loyal then Apples, Coca Cola's or GM / Ford,... in turn, that will mean the ability to creep prices on the profit margins.

But who's going to complain if an expensive investment will last longer and be supported for longer - amortised over the extended life of a product, our investment as owners would increase in real value, and better retention of value for secondhand sales.

Return to Cinematography