BMPCC4k menu button control

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jon Neely

BMPCC4k menu button control

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm

I would like to share an idea that hopefully more users agree would be helpful and I hope would not be too difficult to implement in a firmware update. Having now used the camera for a few months one of my biggest grievances is the necessity to use the touch screen to access and navigate the menu. This is kinda an issue due to me using and external monitor and I keep the camera screen brightness turned all the way down to conserve the little battery I have. That being said, I would love for the menu to be viewable via HDMI (including data showing if iso, wb or shutter is selected) and also to be able to navigate with the cutom preset buttons on top of the camera. Left button for left, center button for select, and right button for right. Even though this would be slow to use it would be much faster and usable compared to what I'm doing now and in a shooting environment I don't have to reposition to see the back screen. It's also a redundancy in case the touch screen fails. Other users chime in here. I hope this makes sense and everyone could see the value of having this feature.

Jon

Stefan Berger

Re: BMPCC4k menu button control

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Agree. It would be also nice to turn OFF the monitor completely.
And only turn the monitor ON if you have to. Maybe a small ICOn in the menu
which can set to 1, 2 or 3 on top to turn the screen ON/OFF.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Jon, that was how the Micro Cinema camera was set up, and “everyone” hated it, was not that popular on the original Pocket camera, a lot of requests were made for touch screen control. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kobayashi Shinji

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 am

Yes, I hope that not only through touch control, but also button control.
In my country, it is now a cold winter. Every time I take an outdoor shot, I have to take off my gloves and touch the screen with the already frozen hands to change the parameters.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 pm

I hear you on this, and I use wool gloves with the finger tip removed, allowing me to touch the camera controls and screen. The rest of my hand remains warm, more or less, depending on the temperature.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography