Gimbal question-MOZA AIR 2?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Edward007

Gimbal question-MOZA AIR 2?

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 8:53 am

Hi, I got my BMPCC4K for a period. Now want a gimbal for stable shooting but there are too many choices. My friends recommended brands such as Ronin-S, Crane and MOZA and I'm confused now. What caught my eyes was the MOZA Air X. It looked so cool on their official website but there seemed no order or buy button and finally in this forum I found that it has not been sold now.
But their MOZA Air 2 seemed nice, too. But I couldn't get the compatibility with BMPCC4K from their page.
I'm interested in the external charging function and the so called 8 follow modes, and the reviews you guys shared about moza air 2 and BMPCC4K looked great too.
Has anyone used and experienced it yet? Do I have to buy extra adapter to fit them? Is it worth buying?
Thanks in advance for all your advice and opinions. :)

mwalker1000

Re: Gimbal question-MOZA AIR 2?

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 am

My p4k has an 8sinn cage and I have to use the mounting holes just to the left of center to get it as close as possible to the side arm, but you will need something like a cage or offset plate to do that. Once mounted, ITS AMAZING. They say 8 modes, but all it really is is a combination of the 3 axis lock or follow. This gimbal allows you to switch all three axis independently between follow and lock so it will do anything you want. I've been able to power the camera off the gimbal directly as well. Haven't used the direct charging option yet.

Can't recommend it enough. Best gimbal as of today.
Last edited by mwalker1000 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Wiklund

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am

I've been in contact with Gudsen support. Moza Air X is not on sale yet, but they look to start selling it this quarter. Gudsen will start to sell a mounting plate for the BMPCC4K. They do NOT recommend to power the BMPCC4K through the Moza Air 2 gimbal directly, it is not stable. They are looking into that issue. Personally I will wait for the Air X, though I do think the Air 2 will work very well, too.

Iain Bason

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 5:08 pm

I bought the Air 2 to use with the P4K. It does need to be offset a little bit to clear the tilt motor. I started out just using the riser that came with it to do that, but it's really inconvenient so I ended up buying a QR plate (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016D6AM16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

It works really well. It's very easy to balance, and the motors are certainly strong enough. The documentation is somewhat spartan, but it isn't hard to figure out how to use it.

DavidNJ

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 am

Robert Wiklund wrote:I've been in contact with Gudsen support. Moza Air X is not on sale yet, but they look to start selling it this quarter. Gudsen will start to sell a mounting plate for the BMPCC4K. They do NOT recommend to power the BMPCC4K through the Moza Air 2 gimbal directly, it is not stable. They are looking into that issue. Personally, I will wait for the Air X, though I do think the Air 2 will work very well, too.

Did they give any idea when the mounting plate would be available? I've seen this offset camera plate on eBay for $39. It is spec'd for the DJI.

DavidNJ

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 10:14 am

Received a response:
We are sorry , the item can not work with other gimbals, specifically the Moza Air

Michael Kropfberger

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 10:26 am

I've created a Moza Air 2 LAB dual-mountable handle :)
Perfectly works for underslung/briefcase mode.

full alloy, perfect fit, mounting points for ext. monitor...
adapter piece with 45 degrees mounts for weebill style
perfectly fits eg. smallrig handle 1638
in the middle there is a M4 screw for a shoulder belt mount.
the mounting ring is 3D designed alloy, perfectly matched to the moza air 2. It even isnt just a flat ring, but is wider on the display side, narrower on the front side. The two ring halfs are screwed together, and there is a rubber inlay within the ring to fit snuggly around the grip.
Due to the adapter part, you can mount the handle in weebill style (45 degrees), or in regular vertical style.
I could do some small numbers, just send me a PM :)
BTW: I'm in Austria/Europe...

greets
Mike

moza air 2 weebill LAB mode.jpg
moza air 2 weebill LAB mode.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 1876 times

moza air 2 weebill LAB mode 2.jpg
moza air 2 weebill LAB mode 2.jpg (38.47 KiB) Viewed 1876 times

moza air 2 weebill LAB mode 3.jpg
moza air 2 weebill LAB mode 3.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Edward007

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 4:00 am

Thank you guys. I think I would make my decision for it. Looking forward to their upgrades for BMPCC4K. ;)

Michael Kropfberger

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 11:07 am

I've finished my development on the Moza Air2 in weebill lab mode, with the handle.
This video is a short introduction to my DIY mounting ring, that absolutely perfectly fits the new Moza Air 2.
It allows multiple mounting options for different handles and other accessories.
Specialty is the so called "weebill LAB" mode, which makes the Moza Air 2 super-convienient in briefcase mode!

Check it out!

greets
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Return to Cinematography