what external monitor for bmpcc 4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

admasv

what external monitor for bmpcc 4k

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 pm

i don't own small monitor that's packed with many functions now i need one for bmpcc 4k when camera is higher if i use external monitor can this help me to picking focus by touch button on the monitor to apply to the camera to correct the focus this is the way it work need help

Denny Smith

Re: what external monitor for bmpcc 4k

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:22 am

You can use most of the small monitors available, I like the SmallHD Focus.
You can not use an external monitor for touch control of the camera, but their are IOS and Android apps that can control the camera via a smart phone or IPad, using blue tooth.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

elideadeye

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:30 am

Denny Smith wrote:You can use most of the small monitors available, I like the SmallHD Focus.
You can not use an external monitor for touch control of the camera, but their are IOS and Android apps that can control the camera via a smart phone or IPad, using blue tooth.
Cheers

Does the HD Focus supply power via the canon dummy battery for the P4k?

Chris Shivers

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 9:00 am

i was thinking about getting the atomos ninja v, not for recording that doesn't make sense. But for the features thats coming with it, like the HDR, and wave form monitor, etc. And you can use to colorgrade

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm

You get waveform and vector scopes with a SmallHD Monitor also, and you get a higher resolution screen in the bargain. As for the Focus powering the Pocket 4K, it should, but the question would be for how long, and the current drain?

I can power my Micro Studio for around 1 hour or so, while streaming a signal, using the medium 700 size NP battery, a 900 series should be enough for the Pocket. This would be a good question to ask SmallHD, regarding the current drain and if the Focus can provide enough current.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Shivers

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You get waveform and vector scopes with a SmallHD Monitor also, and you get a higher resolution screen in the bargain. As for the Focus powering the Pocket 4K, it should, but the question would be for how long, and the current drain?

I can power my Micro Studio for around 1 hour or so, while streaming a signal, using the medium 700 size NP battery, a 900 series should be enough for the Pocket. This would be a good question to ask SmallHD, regarding the current drain and if the Focus can provide enough current.

i have the smallHD 501 and i dont like their waveform monitor. it looks nasty. I thought it would look better

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 am

Nice, but I am not sending my money to China, if I can avoid it. As for the 501 Chris, have you updated its FW? I had the 501 also, but like the Focus better, the Waveform seems improved also, but the best Waveform is on the PixE, which I also have. If I was looking for just a monitor, the new OLED Focus looks grand.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 2:36 am

I haven't used it yet but I'm looking into the feel world ultra bright. There's a version with HDMI only and with HDMI and sdi. I'm thinking of grabbing the sdi version for expandability.

It's 7inch so a bit big but, 2200 nit brightness not to heavy at 300grams but is light because of a plastic build.

The pocket 4k having lut over HDMI means I don't need such an expensive monitor.

Sick of sunhoods - https://feelworld.ltd/products/feelworl ... R4EALw_wcB

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 am

I did say, “ if I can avoid it.” Sometimes, there isn’t a good alternative, and the Chinese made product is the best one to get. But, given some of the issues with the Feelworld Monitor, I would go with the SmallHD. My IPad is made in China, I would rather it was made in the USA, but that was Apples choice to be competitive in this changing global economy.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 4:30 am

from what I've seen from the feelworld monitors.

Lower build quality because of the lower price and the main one I see is that the battery will drain if left on the monitor but that's an easy fix there, just take the battery off the monitor when packing it away.

Otherwise latency seems fairly normal, haven't heard any big complaints but it's sometimes camera dependent where I've heard some of the Panasonic cameras have a bit of lag over hdmi already which may cause a monitor to seem extra laggy.

I'm looking to find out what I can expect of the battery life for the 2200 nit brightness monitor as it's that bright and 7inch so if anyone has one and knows I'd love to find out!

Otherwise buying from china in Australia is honestly a godsend, I can often get items from china cheaper than I could getting the same item from America even though the USD has more purchasing power. Like I've seen the USD ebay price of some products be 250 USD but 200 AUD before.

dsorbera

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 am

+1 for feelworld. They make quality products for great prices.

I have the MA5 and I feel like it's the perfect size to be mobile.

Ryan Payne

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 am

Australian Image wrote:
Ryan Payne wrote:from what I've seen from the feelworld monitors.

Lower build quality because of the lower price and the main one I see is that the battery will drain if left on the monitor but that's an easy fix there, just take the battery off the monitor when packing it away.

Did you ever read watch the comments about the BMPCC4K? It's made of plastic. It feels 'plasticky'. It's not going to be very durable.

I can buy seven Feelworld F570 monitors for the price of one SmallHD 502 monitor, which is roughly equivalent in specifications.

Oh I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it's to be expected from the price range, just like the pocket it can still be a great product.

Dopeytree

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 8:12 pm

I go the 7" feel world screen and its amazing for the price!! Battery also lasts quite a long time!

I mount it on a smallrig magic arm with quick releases plates

splitterfilm

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Hey guys,
still waiting for my bmpcc 4k, because I live in Germany and we wont't get any here before March or April.

But I'm already thinking a lot about an external monitor and a good power solution. It would be perfect to combine both! I'm wondering, if the smallHD Focus is able to power the cam via a LP-E6 dummy? I've chatted with their support, they have no experiences so far. They had a bundle for the old BMPCC, but I think, there won't be a version for the 2pin power input of the BMPCC 4K, because the output of the monitor is limited to 7.2 volt, the 2-pin input needs 12V.

Has anybody tested the smallHD Focus with the cam yet? If so, what is the expected runtime of a NP-F970 battery?
And as a final question, which LP-E6 dummy would you recommend? I've read not every one delivers the exact remaining runtime of the battery.

Thanks in advance! :)

Nick Lavigne

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm

I use the Ninja V. Works really well, no complaints.
I pair it with a long 25' super thin HDMI cable. And yes the PCC4k can drive the signal that distance with a non active cable.

splitterfilm

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 6:32 pm

Nick Lavigne wrote:I use the Ninja V. Works really well, no complaints.

Also for powering the camera? Thought of the Ninja V as well.

Nick Lavigne

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 pm

splitterfilm wrote:
Nick Lavigne wrote:I use the Ninja V. Works really well, no complaints.

Also for powering the camera? Thought of the Ninja V as well.

I have never done that, I don't recall it having a power out port.

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 pm

Australian Image wrote:Good luck powering one of those monitors and the camera with one LP-E6, for any length of time.

:twisted: :mrgreen:

What Ray meant and what one might not consider without having a P4K in his hands: That one LP-E6 barely runs the camera for 35-55 minutes - but if you enable e.g. the OIS on the Oly 12-100 it seems one LP-E6 last about ten minutes. It's horrible.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Return to Cinematography