Ursa Mini Pro and X10 Glidecam

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Srdepaz

Ursa Mini Pro and X10 Glidecam

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Do you recommend using a glidecam X10 with a steadycam Glidecam Devin super tramp to comfortably carry my Ursa Mini Pro?
Sergio Rodríguez
Filmmaker

Rene Gilvert

Re: Ursa Mini Pro and X10 Glidecam

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Nope, too heavy for the head of the glidecam.... even when trimming it down to just the body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rene Gilvert

michaeldhead

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Rene Gilvert wrote:Nope, too heavy for the head of the glidecam.... even when trimming it down to just the body

Devon uses a RED on his glidecam - is the weight difference between a RED and a UMP that great?
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Rene Gilvert

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Don’t know, I can only say that I tried and the head broke off... could put it back in and now use it with a BMCC 4K.... am keeping the Ursa on heavier outfits...

Perhaps my Glidecam is faulty but think you might be better off with another model that is better equipped for heavier cameras

Rene Gilvert

ChrisWarren

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 7:58 pm

I have used Devin Graham's model glidecam with my UMP. The weight limit for the glidecam is 10lbs. I was able to weigh in around 9.7 lbs with the camera, rokinon 16mm, BMD top handle, and AB cine battery (the big cube style).

Worked well enough. It was pretty easy to balance and, once I got the hang of it, quick to set up.

michaeldhead

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 11:58 pm

ChrisWarren wrote:I have used Devin Graham's model glidecam with my UMP. The weight limit for the glidecam is 10lbs. I was able to weigh in around 9.7 lbs with the camera, rokinon 16mm, BMD top handle, and AB cine battery (the big cube style).

Worked well enough. It was pretty easy to balance and, once I got the hang of it, quick to set up.

Thank you!
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Jeff leland

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:46 am

Thanks Chris - I just purchased a Glidecam HD-4000 with the 10lb weight limit. Haven't tried the camera on it yet (UMP) - but after playing around with a 6lb DSLR set up I thought it would just be too heavy to manage. Good to know you've made it work - now I have to see if I can get the camera down below the 10lbs and try it out! I'll need a month or two of weight lifting first though... :lol:

Return to Cinematography