Ronin-S Wire Control

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ChadMadden

Ronin-S Wire Control

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 9:43 pm

I have the BMPCC4k and the Ronin-s. The ronin-s can shoot motionlapse, timelapse, panos and etc... but I can't seem to get it to work with the Pocket 4k. I plugged in the USB-C cable to the ronin, but it doesn't do anything. Is there a cable for this to work, where it can control and trigger the "shutter" to create timelapses?

MikeMeagher

Re: Ronin-S Wire Control

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Connecting a cable between two electronic devices is just part of the issue.

The ability of the Ronin-S to communicate and control the BMPCC4K via the USB would require that the DJI Ronin-S be programmed to send the proper camera control commands to the BMPCC4K. Commands such as Start, Stop Recording, Push to focus, etc and more.

This also assumes that the BMPCC4K is capable of receiving such commands via its USB-C, recognizing them, and evoking those events.

Such functionality likely would require the collaboration on the part of DJI and BMD programmers.
You might want to lobby DJI for this functionality to be included into their product.

DJI has enabled some of this sort of USB camera controlling communication functionality with various other cameras to date, such as the GH5, GH4, and several other. They also every once in a while release firmware updates to the Ronin-S adding compatibility with more and more cameras and lenses.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Return to Cinematography