BMPCC screen pixels dots and lines issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mauro Bucci

BMPCC screen pixels dots and lines issue

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 am

Hi everybody. I am trying a way to fix (if possible) the display of my BMPCC.
For a few days the screen has many stuck (perhaps dead?) pixels. I don't know the reason. The screen has no breaks and, to the best of my knowledge, the camera didn't have any impact with anything.
The issues appeared after I tried the BMPCC with a MS1 gimbal that didn't work properly: in some moments the camera was vibrating very much together with the gimbal (I really don't know if such a situation can be a cause for that display issue).

Anyway the pixels are black (like in the picture) when I am shooting a light color. And blue/green if the screen is total dark. If for several hours I keep the camera on, almost all the dots and lines tend to disappear. Like absorbed (the black lines becomes dots and they almost vanish completely). When the camera is off, then they gradually appear again :cry: . The bad pixels tend also to change position and moving (like leaking from top to bottom).

Any advise (or remote hope) to fix or improve this condition?

Thank you very much.
Attachments
Senza-titolo-1.jpg
Senza-titolo-1.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Mauro Bucci

lee4ever

Re: BMPCC screen pixels dots and lines issue

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 pm

I would open the BMPCC and than see that all flex ribbon cables are properly connected / disconnect once and reconnect.

Mauro Bucci

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Thanks for your answer lee4ever.

I am going to wait for other replies and then, if there aren't other options, I will try your solution.
Mauro Bucci

lee4ever

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 pm

If any contacts are disconnected , then the errors don't normally look like on your picture. I've never seen that before, that a certain pixel area disappears.

I doubt my recommendation will work, but I would definitely test it.
When you open the BMPCC, see if there is soldered 'cold' joint somewhere.

The problem is known from graphics cards. The problem is more often soldered 'cold' joint at (RAM) memory / chipset. The solution is to put the graphics card in the oven for a few minutes (no kidding). :?

Return to Cinematography