Lenses for the Bmpcc4k:

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

acidwhale

Lenses for the Bmpcc4k:

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am

Hi,
waiting for my p4k, and trying to buy special lenses before the miracle arrives. Can you please help me and say, if those lenses suitable for the new p4k or the CCD is too big for them,( i think they are fine for the old bmpcc):

1. SUPER16 ANGENIEUX 1.3/15MM CMOUNT LENS BOLEX
2. COOKE 1.5/25MM CMOUNT LENS BMPCC 16MM
3. Angenieux 25mm f0.95 f/0.95 LENS C-mount Bell.

thank you very much

WmsRan

Re: Lenses for the Bmpcc4k:

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm

The sensor's CMOS, not CCD. Are you switching from a Digital Bolex?

It's safe to assume no c-mount lens will cover the sensor. Even if they do, the image quality at the edges is so compromised you'll have to punch in anyway.

I have several c-mount lenses and have tested them with an adapter on the BMPCC4k: Kinoptik, Schneider, Canon, Angenieux, and Kern-Palliard. None cover the sensor, not even the Super-16 lenses. Those that come close (Canon TV-16 zoom, Kinoptik 5.7mm) turn soft and dim around the edges.

Of course, you could use them in windowed HD mode, but you sacrifice the focal length and the 4K resolution and end up with a noisier image. You could also shoot the full sensor and then upscale slightly in Davinci. Some people made a petition for a 2.8K super-16 mode in firmware, and I would still like to see Blackmagic make that happen.

acidwhale

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Thank you WmsRan for the great reply. The "image" seems to be clearer.
I understand that you have large experiense with vintage lenses.
So,
What is your advise?
How can i achive this vintage/film like look with the bmpcc 4k, what lenses do you recomend?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 2:25 am

I own a whole collection of vintage lenses, from Russian Helios', Mir and Jupiters via Minolta Rokkors to Zeiss Contax, the amount of 'vintage' look goes down with time, with the Contax Zeiss looking most modern, but still not as clinical as contemporary ones. Rokkors, in particular, are very nice and relatively cheap, since they can't be adapted to Canon mount easily. The same goes for Canon FD. Here is my guide to Minolta lenses: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php ... ival-Guide

You can adapt all of these to MFT, either with a cheap adapter without optics or (most of them) with a focal reducer, since these are all photographic full frame lenses.

Regarding S-16 lenses, you should give them a try by cropping down, you should end up with a bit better resolution than from the BMPCC HD, but you can't use 4K.

I'm one of those who'd like a 2.8K mode in the Pocket 4K!
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

WmsRan

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 3:41 am

Uli makes excellent points and reminds me that I love shooting stills on my Fuji X-Pro with Canon FD lenses. One of my favorites is a $20 Vivitar FD-mount zoom. I like it so much I thought about getting a Metabones adapter for the BMPCC4k and building out a prime set to use as cine lenses.

But I decided I would rather use native lenses. Adapters are contraptions, the FD mount is unwieldy, and still lenses breathe like crazy and have short focus throws. I would rather enjoy using that camera with lenses actually designed for it. If I want a vintage look I can use filters like black pro mist, which can cut down on the sharpness of modern lenses & sensors. But if I really want a film look, shooting film and getting a good scan is still the best option!

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:14 am

Well, not so many folks who are considering a BM camera would see shooting on film as an alternative these days. And that vintage look is more than some diffusion, it's about flare, colors and bokeh too.

And, IMHO, you generalize regarding breathing and focus throw. Most of my Zeiss Contax and Rokkors have generous focus throw, well beyond 180 degrees, and smooth as silk too. And breathing is different from lens to lens, some show very little and some are annoying. But with a resolution of 4K, it's not. a big problem to correct that tiny 'zoom' in post in the few cases where it is really distracting.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

Return to Cinematography