Ursa Mini Pro Knobs, Buttons, Screen long term Quality.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stephen Fitzgerald

Ursa Mini Pro Knobs, Buttons, Screen long term Quality.

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 am

Hi community, it’s me, the guy who owns an UM4.6k and due to upcoming jobs that require more run and gun I’m thinking about upgrading to the UMP. I’d like to know peoples thoughts on the knobs and buttons longevity for those who have had their UMP for over a year now. Any issues, any toggles falling off. What are some things that I should look out for, or should I stick with the tried and true UM4.6k, grab a variety ND and wait to see what NAB has to offer?

Mainly, I’d be selling the 4.6k due to some image issues (FPN, only 1600iso) I’ve seen the UMP so much cleaner 3200 and I do enjoy the BMD ecosystem, regardless of the quirks. Let me know your thoughts. This is more a WANT and not an immediate need, but the 4.6k devalues by the day so I’d part with it sooner than later.

The screen quality vs the 4.6k (I really like that screen) the ND filters and the ruggedness of the knobs and buttons are my main concerns.

Uli Plank

Re: Ursa Mini Pro Knobs, Buttons, Screen long term Quality.

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:04 am

Well, the rotating knobs for audio are not very sturdy, one of mine fell off after not so much use. But it's no disaster, you can still turn the remaining stump or use the on-screen controls. Plus, BM send me a replacement really fast.
Apart from that, no issues.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Vess Stoytchev

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:01 am

Our menu knob split in two but i glued it together and glued it back to the metal knob. I really like the buttons on the camera.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Could have glued mine too, yeah. It fell off split in two.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 1:57 am

Mine was received broke, but BM sent me a replacement right away, which seems nice and tight, no issues since.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dsorbera

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 2:52 am

The studio I work for has 6 UMP setup in studio that run 24/7, and 7 units that we use in the field every day with the viewfinder and shoulder mount combo.

The only issues we have had are the round external volume knobs seem to fall off, and the screens loosen up over time requiring you to regularly open up the screen and tighten some screws inside there, not a big deal, but something that has to be done.

That being said, these units are being used and abused on a daily basis for the last two years and are still going strong. A few of them have been dropped (with the long canon 18-80 CINE lens on it) and didn't suffer any damage.

Amer Shanabli

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Vess Stoytchev wrote:Our menu knob split in two but i glued it together and glued it back to the metal knob. I really like the buttons on the camera.

Hi, I had the same problem, two buttons cracked, but the Blackmagic sent me every time an exchange one ... crack because the plastic is very thin.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 pm

Should print some on the 3D printer.. :D I already did some volume knobs for a different audio device that turned out quite nice..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

oonops

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 10:57 am

I was hoping to find here how to contact Blackmagic to get replacement knobs. Because we received brand new URSA Broadcast and when we were testing them, few of the knobs fell off.
Thanks for you answers

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 5:04 pm

I had my UMP G2 for a while now and one of the knobs split to half and another one fell off. I called BMD area office support, email them the pictures of the failed knobs, and they expediently send me the replacement. That was awesome support from them. Easy to put in the new ones.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Fabián Aguirre

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 6:24 pm

Yep, the plastic volume knobs are trash. The first one on my Ursa Mini Pro 12K fell off in its case on the way to its first shoot the week I received the camera (padded Pelican air with Trekpak). The second knob broke in half during a shoot shortly there after, and I treat these cameras better than myself.

I did call BMD after the first knob fell out and they kindly offered to ship me a replacement if I paid for shipping. I declined knowing they'd probably continue falling off and the camera's been knobless since.

Other than that, the camera is a tank.

Cheers,

Fabián
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

oonops

PostMon Oct 24, 2022 6:00 am

I emailed Blackmagic a bunch but no answer. So no luck for me with the volume knobs

Uli Plank

PostMon Oct 24, 2022 6:27 am

Are you in France? Call the UK office.

Return to Cinematography