BUG - Pocket 4K - on-screen settings on LCD disappear

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Cherniack

BUG - Pocket 4K - on-screen settings on LCD disappear

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 3:02 pm

This has happened twice to me when outputting to an HDMI monitor. The on-screen settings are set to display on both the LCD and the HDMI monitor. Pushing the auto-focus button caused the settings and their touch screen functionality to disappear from the LCD but stay (visually) on the HDMI monitor. It happened when power was supplied to the camera from an out-board battery and was getting low. The only way to get the settings info and touch screen functions back on the LCD was to push the ISO or the WB buttons. The other weird effect when this happened, was the loss of my settings for some of the function buttons.

Clearly a significant bug but one that rears its head only when outboard monitoring and power are connected.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

Xtreemtec

Re: BUG - Pocket 4K - on-screen settings on LCD disappear

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Have you tried swiping up or down the touch screen? Normally on the VideoAssist you can let the overlay disappear and reappear by swiping your finger up or down the screen. ;)

might be the same for the Pocket 4k.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Cherniack

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Have you tried swiping up or down the touch screen? Normally on the VideoAssist you can let the overlay disappear and reappear by swiping your finger up or down the screen. ;)

might be the same for the Pocket 4k.

I touched the screen trying to get a response. Nothing happened. I didn`t swipe but I dont`think it would have made a difference.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 1:54 am

You need to swipe up or down David, it is not a touch thing, but a motion gesture to hide or reveal the on screen reel data info. This allows a fast change from clean screen to screen data.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dsorbera

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 2:55 am

It's a swipe up/down thing... It toggles on/off the "display status text" function in the menu. It's a separate control from clean feed.

David Cherniack

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 pm

dsorbera wrote:It's a swipe up/down thing... It toggles on/off the "display status text" function in the menu. It's a separate control from clean feed.

Thanks. I get that swiping may bring the controls back as do the ISO and, probably, the WB buttons. The BUG is that they disappeared when I pushed the auto-focus button in the particular configuration and circumstances I describe in the OP. If it happens to an unsuspecting operator in the middle of a shoot, it's potentially a serious problem.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

Robert Baker

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 pm

I just tested this on mine but could not replicate that same problem. I suppose we will need more testing to see if it is a one-off issue or rises to bug level.

I will say that they first time I attached an external monitor I could get the picture but it seemed to be stuck in Clean Feed mode until I changed it from Cinematographer to Director and then back again. Did you check the second Monitor menu for LCD and see if Status Text is turned on or off after you press the Auto-Focus button?

David Cherniack wrote:
Thanks. I get that swiping may bring the controls back as do the ISO and, probably, the WB buttons. The BUG is that they disappeared when I pushed the auto-focus button in the particular configuration and circumstances I describe in the OP. If it happens to an unsuspecting operator in the middle of a shoot, it's potentially a serious problem.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

David Cherniack

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 1:35 am

Robert Baker wrote:I just tested this on mine but could not replicate that same problem. I suppose we will need more testing to see if it is a one-off issue or rises to bug level.

I will say that they first time I attached an external monitor I could get the picture but it seemed to be stuck in Clean Feed mode until I changed it from Cinematographer to Director and then back again. Did you check the second Monitor menu for LCD and see if Status Text is turned on or off after you press the Auto-Focus button?

David Cherniack wrote:

I did check and the clean feed was switched off for the LCD even though it WAS clean. It's definitely a bug but a tough one to repro because it happens when the exterrnal battery is low.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

JeffVasquez

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 4:18 am

Yeah, this got me today. I forgot about the swiping thing. Good thing I was just shoot a test, otherwise it could have been a disaster.... But a pretty cool feature now that I remember it.

TeryWilson

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 11:06 pm

I just replicated the exact problem. Definitely a bug. When you disconnect the HDMI cable its back working
Tery Wilson
Blackmagic Pocket 4K
DP | Editor | Producer | Web Designer
IMDB: imdb.com/name/nm5674675
www.terywilson.com

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 8:40 am

Could you let me know what is the external battery used, especially power output ratings if available? I assume it's connected to the 12V input via a battery plate adapter? What is the power output ratings of the adapter?

What is the voltage reading on the display when this is happening?

Do you have a battery in the camera in this setup?

Return to Cinematography