How Does the Cinema Camera with Panasonic lenses work?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

DoctorWho

How Does the Cinema Camera with Panasonic lenses work?

PostWed May 29, 2013 1:14 am

I am looking for the next step for my video needs. Some specifics were not clear to me. Not in any particular order I have a lot of initial questions.

First, the crop factor for micro four thirds is 2x, so the Panasonic 12-35 2.8 is equivalent to 24-70 2.8 in what a full frame camera would be. Call it the 35 mm equivalent. What is the conversion factor for the Black Magic cinema camera and micro four-thirds lenses?

Second, will the micro four thirds lenses Auto Focus on this Black Magic camera body? Can I retain auto focus?

Third, does this camera support image stabilization? How does this work just holding the camera in my hands? How do you turn on image stabilization?

I use an iMac, computer can I edit with iMovie or do I need something different to download video and burn it to a disk.

What is the main difference between a “Cinema” camera like this and a Pro Video camera that records on the same media like Canon XA-10 or Sony HXR-NX5U that is just a high-end video camera? What can’t I do with a dedicated video camera that this Black Magic camera can do?

I have a small investment in Panasonic Micro Four Thirds lens, all fast glass. So I am fairly set with lenses for the Black Magic IF I go this route and MAYBE sell my GH-3.

Can I get $4000 camera results (pro video camera) on this $1000 Black Magic compact camera with Panasonic or Olympus micro four-thirds lenses?

My Panasonic GH-3 has a hot shoe since it is also a still camera. How do I connect an external microphone, LED light and an External Monitor if needed? I can do all of this with the Panasonic GH-3 with direct access to the hot shoe for one accessory or use a Y bracket to connect a few items. I also have a Cam Caddie for certain needs with the Panasonic GH-3.

Essentially what Rig would I use that is compact to attach accessories with the Black Magic Cinema camera?

Can I feel comfortable taking this Black Magic camera on vacation to Disneyland or just using for a birthday party. Can I use this camera as just the family video camera like any other?

If I could use a micro four thirds still camera and a high quality video camera that’s just as small this Black Magic Camera may be a solution, but I am not sure yet.

Thank you!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: How Does the Cinema Camera with Panasonic lenses work?

PostWed May 29, 2013 1:45 am

To compare field of view among various lens focal lengths and sensor sizes, refer to AbelCine's website:
http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

... and this diagram on the ProLost website:
http://prolost.com/storage/post-images/ ... 5660764902

As for what types of lenses can be used on the BMCC-MFT camera:

Panasonic Lumix MFT lenses (and any MFT lens with electrical contacts on its mount) can't be used on the BMCC-MFT camera's passive MFT lens mount. These lenses require power and communication with the camera to adjust focus, aperture, and IS, even when using the lens in "manual" mode. The BMCC-MFT's passive lens mount doesn't have electrical contacts.

MFT lenses that are fully manual lenses, with no built-in electronics, can be used on the BMCC-MFT.

Likewise, other fully-manual lenses that are designed for use with sensors larger than MFT (such as classic old Nikkor 135-format SLR film camera lenses) can be mounted on the BMCC-MFT via lens mount adapters from many different vendors. Other examples of manual lenses than can be adapted for use on the BMCC-MFT are old Canon FD lenses, PL mount cine lenses, and many others.

The new BMPCC "pocket camera" will have an active MFT lens mount. Its sensor will be S16 film size, smaller than the sensor in the BMCC-MFT & BMCC-EF.

I use Nikon-to-MFT lens adapters with my Panasonic GH1 & GH2, and Nikon-to-E lens mount adapters on my colleague's Sony FS100, with great success. Both are from Fotodiox's "Pro" line. I've heard that some more-expensive adapters have a tighter, more solid fit, but I haven't used them. When I receive my BMPC-4K camera I plan to use RedRock's Nikon-to-EF lens mount adapters.

Again, MFT lenses such as those made by Panasonic & Olympus, which have electrical contacts on their mounts, require an active MFT lens mount such as on the new BMPCC pocket cam. These lenses won't function at all on a camera with a passive MFT lens mount, as on the BMCC-MFT model. These lenses require power and/or communication with the camera body to perform their functions, even when they are switched to "manual" mode.

You can definitely use most new & old, fully-manual lenses on a camera with either a passive or active MFT lens mount.

There are also relatively expensive active lens mount adapters that support modern Canon EOS lenses (ones with electrical contacts on the lens) on all MFT cameras (regardless of whether the camera has an active or passive lens mount on the camera body). Some of these active adapters have their own power supply & electronics, independent of the capability of the camera's lens mount.

None of Blackmagic's cameras support auto-focus, or continuous auto-exposure, period.

To get an idea of the number of types of lens adapters available to mount lenses to a MFT camera body, take a look at B&H website (note this is not an all-inclusive list; other adapters are available on eBay, Amazon, etc.):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lens- ... 4294545080

I recommend against buying expensive accessories for a camera you don't yet have in-hand. If you wait until you have your camera, then you can test accessories and if necessary return them to your dealer for a full refund.

-

DoctorWho

PostWed May 29, 2013 5:50 pm

I just spoke to Black Magic and was finally able to get clarification.

This pocket cinema camera will NOT have ANY image stabilization and will NOT have ANY Auto Focus ability.

For my needs today, I am not going to buy this camera, they are are two important features to at least have that option. Too Bad.

Yes, I do know 99% of all the Pro's will use a Tripod and follow focus system.

However, if you want a compact take to Disneyland shoot a birthday party, Go a on Cruise camera the potential was there.

Just disappointed from what Black Magic just told me on those two points.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed May 29, 2013 6:35 pm

That's exactly what I described in my reply above.

The name "Blackmagic Cinema Camera" is not an accident. It's not a point & shoot handycam with auto-everything features.

And, as noted above, the "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera" supports lens IS, but not auto-focus or continuos auto-exposure.

-

DoctorWho

PostThu May 30, 2013 12:37 am

Ok, here's a good and confusing thing. I called B&H Photo to ask the same questions. Plus one additional.

1. Does Black Magic pocket cinema camera that uses a Micro Four Thirds Mount support Image Stabilization?

B&H Photo & Video answer to the Pro Video dept. YES

2. Does the Black Magic camera support Auto Focus.

B&H said, YES

3. I asked does this cinema camera have a way to meter? Does it have a built in light meter to set or guide you for exposure?

B&H answer. NO

4. I use the Panasonic GH-3 in manual video exposure mode anyway. I need some type of support to keep the shot steady BUT Auto focus works as a subject moves.

So what is going on here?

1. When I spoke to Black Magic directly I got the feeling they did not want to be bothered by the consumer and basic questions. This also makes me think that after sale support is questionable.

2. B&H seemed to have the answer right away. It was a believable answer and conversation with B&H.

3. Now the forum here, I appreciate the help, I really do.

So what to do. Get the camera and see first hand is the only way to know I guess.

I am or was or still ready to consider this camera. I am hoping or was hoping to bring my video stuff to the next level.

Last, I was told I could edit with iMovie or Final Cut X. Final Cut I am sure of, but who knows if the other answer is correct.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu May 30, 2013 3:30 am

Its not unusual for dealers and even manufacturer sales/support people to be misinformed about products, especially new, unreleased products. It's also common for consumers to be misinformed about the same products, or to misunderstand product descriptions, whether printed on the manufacturer's website or obtained via email or by phone. And us folks in forums make mistakes all the time.

There are certain details about the new BMPCC pocket camera that have been well established.

For example:

The BMPCC will not support auto-focus, period. No BMD camera does.

The BMPCC features a focus "peaking" display on its LCD. All BMD cameras include this feature. The peaking dots appear along edges of maximum contrast, as a way to indicate sharp focus. Peaking can be turned on or off.

The BMPCC will support lens image stabilization, period. All BMD cameras do, except the BMCC-MFT, because its passive lens mount can't provide power to a lens.

The BMPCC will not support continuous lens auto-aperture, period. No BMD camera does. All BMD cameras do support momentary (one press) lens auto-aperture -- where the cam sets the lens' aperture so that no pixels are over-exposed -- but the cameras don't continuously adjust the lens aperture. It only makes the adjustment at the moment when the cam's IRIS button is pressed. And of course, the BMCC-MFT's passive lens mount doesn't support this momentary auto-aperture function, because it doesn't power or communicate with a lens.

The BMPCC can display "zebra" stripes on its LCD display to indicate areas of a scene that are over-exposed (clipping). The zebras can be set to values lower than "100" but usually you'll leave them set to "100" to get the best benefit of the cams' wide dynamic range. (Zebras can be turned on or off.) All BMD cameras have this same zebras feature.

The BMCCC can record video in "10-bit 4:2:2 1080p ProRes 422 HQ", and "12-bit 1080p lossless compressed RAW". The RAW recording capability might not be available on day one when the BMPCC first starts shipping. If not, it'll be a free update available for download from BMD. FCPX can definitely edit ProRes 422 HQ, but I'm not sure about iMovie (ask Apple). ProRes 422 HQ is a fantastic feature. It's a better recording format than what the vast majority of camcorders are capable of. All BMD cams can record ProRes 422 HQ, and all can record 12-bit RAW, at various resolutions depending on the model. You can use the Davinci Resolve software (full or "Lite") included with BMD cams to convert RAW to a flavor of ProRes your NLE can use.

To the best of my knowledge the info above is accurate. All of this info is either on BMD's website or has been discussed previously on this forum or elsewhere. Welcome to the "hive mind". :-)

Only exception being: The BMPCC, BMPC-4K, and BMCC-MFT cams aren't shipping yet. Only the BMCC-EF model is shipping. So, as always, specifications of unreleased products are subject to change without notice.

Hopefully this answers most of your questions.

-
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu May 30, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Regenthal

PostThu May 30, 2013 3:33 am

Good answers/comments but how do you know that?
It's likely the final form of the camera has not been settled . . . and that's what the silence is about?
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu May 30, 2013 3:42 am

dregenthal wrote:Good answers/comments but how do you know that?
It's likely the final form of the camera has not been settled . . . and that's what the silence is about?

The final form of all BMD cameras are "settled", or at least 99% so.

The only unknowns are whether RAW recording will ship with the BMPCC & BMPC-4K on the first day they start shipping, and a distant remote chance of the BMCC-MFT shipping with an active lens mount (unlikely, but possible).

Everything else is extremely likely to be set in stone by this point. It's possible a few firmware-only features could be added or change, different than what's described on BMD's website, maybe.

Of course, I could be mistaken. We'll see eventually.
-

DoctorWho

PostFri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Its not unusual for dealers and even manufacturer sales/support people to be misinformed about products, especially new, unreleased products. It's also common for consumers to be misinformed about the same products, or to misunderstand product descriptions, whether printed on the manufacturer's website or obtained via email or by phone. And us folks in forums make mistakes all the time.

There are certain details about the new BMPCC pocket camera that have been well established.

For example:

The BMPCC will not support auto-focus, period. No BMD camera does.

The BMPCC features a focus "peaking" display on its LCD. All BMD cameras include this feature. The peaking dots appear along edges of maximum contrast, as a way to indicate sharp focus. Peaking can be turned on or off.

The BMPCC will support lens image stabilization, period. All BMD cameras do, except the BMCC-MFT, because its passive lens mount can't provide power to a lens.

The BMPCC will not support continuous lens auto-aperture, period. No BMD camera does. All BMD cameras do support momentary (one press) lens auto-aperture -- where the cam sets the lens' aperture so that no pixels are over-exposed -- but the cameras don't continuously adjust the lens aperture. It only makes the adjustment at the moment when the cam's IRIS button is pressed. And of course, the BMCC-MFT's passive lens mount doesn't support this momentary auto-aperture function, because it doesn't power or communicate with a lens.

The BMPCC can display "zebra" stripes on its LCD display to indicate areas of a scene that are over-exposed (clipping). The zebras can be set to values lower than "100" but usually you'll leave them set to "100" to get the best benefit of the cams' wide dynamic range. (Zebras can be turned on or off.) All BMD cameras have this same zebras feature.

The BMCCC can record video in "10-bit 4:2:2 1080p ProRes 422 HQ", and "12-bit 1080p lossless compressed RAW". The RAW recording capability might not be available on day one when the BMPCC first starts shipping. If not, it'll be a free update available for download from BMD. FCPX can definitely edit ProRes 422 HQ, but I'm not sure about iMovie (ask Apple). ProRes 422 HQ is a fantastic feature. It's a better recording format than what the vast majority of camcorders are capable of. All BMD cams can record ProRes 422 HQ, and all can record 12-bit RAW, at various resolutions depending on the model. You can use the Davinci Resolve software (full or "Lite") included with BMD cams to convert RAW to a flavor of ProRes your NLE can use.

To the best of my knowledge the info above is accurate. All of this info is either on BMD's website or has been discussed previously on this forum or elsewhere. Welcome to the "hive mind". :-)

Only exception being: The BMPCC, BMPC-4K, and BMCC-MFT cams aren't shipping yet. Only the BMCC-EF model is shipping. So, as always, specifications of unreleased products are subject to change without notice.

Hopefully this answers most of your questions.

-

Thanks for getting back. I decided to Pre-order the camera and do my own quick tests in about 8 weeks when its available and then decide how to proceed (keeping it or not).

Return to Cinematography