one of the best options for powering the pocket 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Shivers

one of the best options for powering the pocket 4K

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 9:48 pm

The way i power my pocket 4k is through a power bank that has 3A and a 12v dc connection. I had to wire a dc cable and the 2 pin connector from the AC wall adapter. and i mounted the power bank with a 1/4 screw. However, i had a problem with putting a monitor and the power bank at the same time without creating clutter or mounting my monitor off on the side. But with this power option you can power both the camera and the monitor for 2+ hours, plus if you have a SSD too. This allows me to have the monitor mounted normally while powering both camera and monitor. Plus i have room for a microphone if need be. This also solves the problem of an articulating screen and low battery life at the same time! Here is the video:

and here is the link to the battery: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M189SS0/re ... rCb06XSJVA

Chris Shivers

Re: one of the best options for powering the pocket 4K

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 12:59 am

How long does that run for. Because the one in the video runs for about 1hr 30min with the 12c connections, and two hours for the lpe6 dummy battery

Steven Reid

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 1:45 am

Chris, that was a very well-done and informative video. Thanks for sharing your setup.

I especially like the articulating screen. I'm curious to know, as a practical matter, if you have any difficulty shooting with those wires looping around and the screen adding weight away from the center of gravity. I'd be afraid of catching a wire on myself or something and yanking it out.
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) OS Build 19042.867 | AMD Radeon RX580 8GB | GPU Radeon Adrenaline 20.4.2 - Driver Version 20.20.29.01-200910a-359160C (manual updates) | Intel i7-5960X 3 GHz | 64GB RAM

Chris Shivers

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 2:13 am

Steven Reid wrote:Chris, that was a very well-done and informative video. Thanks for sharing your setup.

I especially like the articulating screen. I'm curious to know, as a practical matter, if you have any difficulty shooting with those wires looping around and the screen adding weight away from the center of gravity. I'd be afraid of catching a wire on myself or something and yanking it out.

lol i didn't make the video i just found it. It was a neat setup, it solved both of my problems

Chris Shivers

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 2:15 am

Australian Image wrote:I don't know, as I couldn't find any capacity specifications even on the Teradek website.

Finally did find an answer, on an Australian site: https://www.dragonimage.com.au/teradek- ... -25cm.html.

47.4Wh @7.2V or 6600mAh.

i found the battery from teradek unfortunately it's like 3-4 times the price

Chris Shivers

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 3:48 am

Australian Image wrote:Then again, as I've pointed out several times, you can use on of these which costs stuff all: https://tinyurl.com/y73yzuw6 and offers far more capacity. Again, I have one and it works.

yea i know i get you, i've seen the post before haha. I'm just trying to come up with easier ways to solve my problems. That will make it easier for my setup. Plus having options for other people too. just in case something doesn't meet their needs, the more the better.

Dopeytree

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 11:31 am

Nice! I've opted for the cheapest vmount battery I could find. It's perfect for doing interviews etc. Can also power the 7" external monitor too. Mounts on the shoulder rig. For handheld stuff I just use the lp-e6 batts

dondidnod

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 am

An off topic post on the Re: v6.1 issues (possible) thread - On Sat Feb 09 David Cherniack wrote: So this means that all the 7.2v external power solutions designed for the camera, such as the Tilta power handle with the F970 battery, can not be used with the DC plug, but only with a dummy battery?

I responded on 2/10: My DC 12V NP-F Battery Power Supply System Mount Adapter Plate Holder for BMCC BMPCC 4K BMPCC4K Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras 4K DC 5525 plug, part number 10208001 that I bought from the Ringteam Tech Store powers a BMPCC4K with a Samsung T5 and manual focus lens fine. The input voltage range is 5.8-8.4V and the output is 12V so it must have a step-up transformer in it.

The adapter cost $39.90 USD with the DC 5.5*2.5mm to WeiPu 2pin connector for the BMPCC 4K and I used a Kastar NP-F970 battery that cost less than $20 USD. I was able to mount it next to my Samsung T5 1TB SSD using the included bracket from the kit on a Smallrig full cage. A Smallrig NATO Handle Adjustable Top Grip fits real close to it in the middle of the cage.

Unfortunately, I never had a chance to do a lengthy test of run-times with the setup before my BMPCC 4K was stolen. When my BMPCC 4K arrives I will post the run-times.

I thought that I would resurrect this thread since the topic is more appropriate.

Return to Cinematography