BRAW for URSA Broadcast

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MadPanic

BRAW for URSA Broadcast

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 am

Does anyone know if / when BRAW will likely be made available for the URSA Broadcast?
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build7, MacStudio M2 Ultra 128Gb, OSX Sonoma,10TB SSD (2TB, & 2x 4TB). URSA Broadcast 6.7, BMPCC 6K, Cubase 13

Valentin Remy

Re: BRAW for URSA Broadcast

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 1:14 am

Nobody knows, and nobody will until an official BMD announcement ^^
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 am

The Broadcast is probably at the end of the line (if it is even in the que) after the new Pocket 4K and Ursa Mini 4.6. When it comes is anyone’s guess :?:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 pm

And i do not see why the Broadcast would get Braw at all? ;) It is a Broadcast camera. Targetted towards multicam and ENG. But with ENG you do not want to colorgrade and render. You want items out into the world fast!! like yesterday fast.

The other cameras with the big sensors like the mini, mini pro, pro4.6K i understand why Braw is nice to have.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 5:36 pm

My original thought too Daniel, but the Ursa Boradcast does have DNG/Raw recording capabilities, and some Ursa Broadcast owners are using the camera as a S16 film camera also, recording Film Log or raw, and doing the grading. The Camera kind of has two hats here, just like the Ursa Mini Pro can be used in Live Broadcast applications, but is primarily a cine film camera. That is why both have interchangeable lens mounts, replacing the Ursa Boradcast’s B4 with a PL mount for these non direct broadcast applications.

The camera is good not only for non-live switching (it’s primary use), but also for production situations, like doing commercials (which are done like mini movies), interviews, and more, where shooting Film Log or BRaw would be an advantage over Extended Video for some additional DR would be nice, and more control over the final image is desired. I can also see where BRaw might work in these situations as an alternative to Film Log. It would be nice to have BRaw option on the Broadcast camera.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 7:12 pm

The constant quality settings like Q5 on URSA Broadcast would be incredibly powerful...

Tiny file sizes, incredible picture quality and the ability to non-destructively burn in 'Extended Video' or 'Video' while still keeping the full range of 'Film' in your image.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 pm

But only you sir Tim knows what is coming in the next update. :lol:

I hope there is at least the SDI timecode jamsync in there for the broadcast. (Which is already implemented on the Ursa pro)
Fingers crossed for that long needed Sidetone adjust. 8-)

But is there any update coming in the next few weeks? I mean you cant say what and how. But is there something worked on for release coming close? :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MadPanic

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:And i do not see why the Broadcast would get Braw at all? ;) It is a Broadcast camera. Targetted towards multicam and ENG.

The URSA broadcast in my opinion is the quiet jewel in the crown of the BM line up in terms of the balance of it's capability and flexibility. Yes, it's designed primarily for Live / ENG use, but its incredibly versatile and can also be used for more creative endeavours, cinema style, and why wouldn't you want to retain as much information as possible in the image. Even when using RAW, an immediately usable image is just a LUT away ;)

Denny Smith wrote:My original thought too Daniel, but the Ursa Broadcast does have DNG/Raw recording capabilities, and some Ursa Broadcast owners are using the camera as a S16 film camera also, recording Film Log or raw, and doing the grading.

And that's what drew me to this model of camera. For live events / interviews etc, really quick to use, usable image right off the bat with par focal B4 lenses etc, but also it's capable of so much more, and S16 gives a much more practical usable DOF, in my opinion, and makes shot setups, in some cases, quicker. Having said that, I still grade pretty much all what I do. For multi-cam work, having more latitude for colour grading is a bonus, but I wouldn't want to record Cinema DNG for everything due to limited recording time in the field, file sizes etc. My understanding about braw is that the file sizes are both much smaller and will play in realtime, win win, I don't have to throw away information at the shooting stage.

Tim Schumann wrote:The constant quality settings like Q5 on URSA Broadcast would be incredibly powerful...

Tiny file sizes, incredible picture quality and the ability to non-destructively burn in 'Extended Video' or 'Video' while still keeping the full range of 'Film' in your image.

Hadn't quite appreciated that either! It would bring all the benefits of RAW to most workflows and get the best out of the camera.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build7, MacStudio M2 Ultra 128Gb, OSX Sonoma,10TB SSD (2TB, & 2x 4TB). URSA Broadcast 6.7, BMPCC 6K, Cubase 13

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 9:06 pm

Well, well, at least we know what Tim is thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Tristan Pemberton

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm

I use mine primarily as a digital Super 16 camera, shooting a digital negative (cDNG).

BRAW would be absolutely welcome!
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:The constant quality settings like Q5 on URSA Broadcast would be incredibly powerful...

That was my thought also, Tim — now, can you make this happen :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Patrick Acum

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm

I've been using mine purely as an s16 camera. I've got a doc on the ripper coming out on bbc1 soon where we used it in that way. I also now use it as a second camera to my UMP as it's a bit more forgiving on focus for an AC to do second camera. We used it on another BBC 1 doc on climate change as a second unit shooting in 4k. Id love to see a flatter log and SSD recorder compatibility.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Patrick, the Ursa Broadcast should take the BM SSD drive I always assumed it did, and BM lists it as an accessory for the Broadcast camera. I considered buying the SSD recorder at one point for my Broadcast camera, but I have used a PixE recorder, and it works well, and at it takes small EVO SSD drives, plus you get a Monitor with it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MadPanic

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:13 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Patrick, the Ursa Broadcast should take the BM SSD drive I always assumed it did, and BM lists it as an accessory for the Broadcast camera.

It absolutely does take the BM SSD Drive, that's the configuration of my URSA Broadcast, and it works really well being integrated.

Patrick Acum

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:15 pm

Thats great that the Broadcast takes the ssd. Since swapping over, its been a complete revelation!!

Howard Roll

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 7:46 pm

+1

Braw would be most useful to users of the UB. Narrative is what, maybe an hour or two of footage a day? Those guys can shoot 3:1 raw, it's cool. It's a totally different scenario when you're looking at 10X the amount of footage.

Thibaud

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 3:35 pm

+1

We use URSA Broadcast cameras very often and we would LOVE to have BRAW support. Often we have straightforward talk events or livestream stuff but we also do 10+ cameras concerts or shows where we try to deliver an amazing image quality in UHD.

Braw would allow us to have MUCH SMALLER filesizes (no more 512Go Cfast cards xx times needed) and higher quality for post color grading. And actually even after livestreamed events we like to deliver to our customer a master that went through Resolve.

Another terrific upgrade would be to increase the low light performance on the Ursa Broadcast (i.e that of Pocket 4K). Because the B4 mount glass takes down quite a bit of light :( As well as the lowlight perf of the micro 4K.

But I guess this is more like a sensor upgrade.

MadPanic

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 11:14 pm

I infer from the recent announcement of the BMPCC BRAW update and in particular the reason why DNG had to be dropped, i.e. it may be violating patents, that BRAW will soon be implemented on the URSA Broadcast to replace DNG.

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 12:53 am

Thibaud, the Ursa Boradcast has already had the sensor boosted to its max sensitivity, and is one stop faster than the Micro Boradcast Camera (same sensor), so with the existing sensor, I do not think it is possible to squeeze any more out, as CaptHook indicated it has been pushed to its limit in the Ursa Boradcast Camera.

However, BRaw is going to be a nice addition when it comes.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography