Ursa Mini Pro SDI output failed

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

StevenPorter

Ursa Mini Pro SDI output failed

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 pm

I've had my Ursa for about 2 months, and used it with a Micro Converter SDI to HDMI and a few different HDMI monitors and TVs. After 2 weeks with the Micro Converter, I was suddenly unable to get any output from the HDMI. I bought a second converter to check, and this one also does not work. I have not changed any cables, power supplies, or anything. I also tried a factory reset on the camera with no luck. Has my SDI output on the Ursa died or is there any other troubleshooting I should try? One of my colleagues has a Shogun so I'll be testing the SDI output from the camera tomorrow. Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: Ursa Mini Pro SDI output failed

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

What happens if you plug it to the EVF SDI output?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

StevenPorter

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 12:34 am

Neither SDI outputs video, although my Blackmagic SSD recorder (which uses the rear SDI in and out) does work.

Update: I just tried it again and the rear SDI does work with the new Micro Converter, but not the original one. I'm wondering if there was a problem with the first converter that killed the SDI terminal, or if the SDI died on its own and killed the converter in the process. Either way, here's what I know so far:

I bought the camera new, and everything worked. I bought a Micro Converter SDI to HDMI which worked perfectly out of the front SDI with the SSD recorder using the 2 rear SDI I/Os. Suddenly the monitor died on set, and neither the front SDI nor the original converter worked since (the original SDI converter does not work on front or rear SDI ports.) I bought a new converter, which works only on the rear output. The front is completely dead.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 am

Time to contact BMD Support office for a RMA repair. They will get this fixed for you.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

StevenPorter

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 2:38 am

I had a feeling... I actually just sent them an email too, just wanted to check here and see if there was any chance it could've been something really simple I had overlooked.

Cesar Gamino

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 1:22 am

What's the conclusion? My Main SDI port stopped sending out a signal using a new BM SDI to HDMI converter. Then front one still works. (UPDATE) After checking around these threads I realized that my Main SDI monitor settings somehow got switched to 2160p instead of my monitor's 1080p!

Ivon Visalli

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 am

I don't know if there is any relationship, but some users of the Ursa Mini reported frying their SDI ports if they made SDI connections while the unit was powered on. I've made it a habit to always have power off before connecting or disconnecting SDI connections on my Ursa Mini 4.6K

StevenPorter

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 1:35 am

Ivon Visalli wrote:I don't know if there is any relationship, but some users of the Ursa Mini reported frying their SDI ports if they made SDI connections while the unit was powered on. I've made it a habit to always have power off before connecting or disconnecting SDI connections on my Ursa Mini 4.6K

Yeah, I've heard of this too. I don't believe that is the case with mine, but thanks for posting anyhow. Blackmagic has my camera now and will attempt a repair this week.

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 am

If ssd recorder work the sdi is working, ssd recorder use both sdi converted to data output to send to ssd record data, if one sdi not work, the ssd recorder give you error.
Have you checked cables, setup of output resolution/frequency/frame rate which are compatible with output?
Have you did some high frame rate shooting?
I read that you reset camera, but if for someone reasons not reset all parameters

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

StevenPorter

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:If ssd recorder work the sdi is working, ssd recorder use both sdi converted to data output to send to ssd record data, if one sdi not work, the ssd recorder give you error.
Have you checked cables, setup of output resolution/frequency/frame rate which are compatible with output?
Have you did some high frame rate shooting?
I read that you reset camera, but if for someone reasons not reset all parameters

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

The SSD recorder only uses the rear SDI in and out. The front SDI is the one that failed. I can still get video out of the rear SDI, but that is useless to me because I need that one for the SSD recorder. I have shot HFR off-speed, but always with the main frame rate at 24. Before this issue, I could monitor from the front SDI even in high frame rate mode. And Yes, I have tried every resolution and frame rate multiple times. As I said in my last post, Blackmagic has determined that there is a hardware failure and is currently looking into solutions.

Daniel Alexander

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 am

I remember burned out SDI ports being a regular thing on the original BMCC camera, especially when either using a sdi-hdmi convertor or connecting an sdi connection whilst the camera is on. Does anyone know if there are still many reports of this with the UMP?

Thanks

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Ivon Visalli wrote:I don't know if there is any relationship, but some users of the Ursa Mini reported frying their SDI ports if they made SDI connections while the unit was powered on.

Daniel Alexander wrote:I remember burned out SDI ports being a regular thing on the original BMCC camera..

1+ It's always a good practice to have everything turned off when connecting peripherals (external recorders, converters, etc) to a camera's SDI ports. Connect everything, then turn everything on. This applies to all cams regardless of brand...

Ivon Visalli

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 5:00 am

Carlos Garcia-Diaz wrote:This applies to all cams regardless of brand...

Are you sure this is true?

Daniel Alexander

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 7:16 am

I agree it’s good practice to power off before making connections etc, but from my own real world practice, I’ve only ever witnessed and experienced burned sdi ports on older generation Blackmagic cameras. I’m sure it happens on other brands, but just haven't personally seen/heard it Being as common as I found with the older cams. My question was more targeted at ump owners/users who can maybe help tell me if they've seen much burnout when using sdi-hdmi convertors on the camera?

Return to Cinematography