Page 1 of 1

Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 pm
by Kristian Lam
Hi,

We have just released Cameras v6.1 with the following updates for the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K:

• Added support for pixel remapping in camera.
• Added 2:1 monitoring frame guide.
• Improved media formatting user interface.
• Improved audio monitoring latency performance.
• Improved auto focus performance.
• Improved signal to noise ratio performance of camera internal microphone.
• Improved power efficiency for improved battery life.
• Improved 3.5mm audio input selection interface.
• Improved AV sync performance.
• Fixed an issue where time and date is not updated on camera when connected to the Blackmagic Camera Setup utility.
• Fixed an issue where the 3.5mm audio input level is 6dB lower than expected.
• Fixed an auto focusing issue with Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens.
• Fixed an issue where some USB-C external SSDs were not detected when connected before camera is powered up.
• Fixed an issue where some batteries might shut off earlier than expected.
• Fixed an issue where low battery indicator is not displayed appropriately.
• Fixed an issue with camera not being detected by host computer when connected to certain USB ports.
• Updated dynamic range and ISO chart in user manual.

This software update can be downloaded from here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... al-cameras

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm
by James Spatz
I am trying to update from a Windows 10 laptop. When I connect USB-C to USB-C windows tell me "device not recognized". Any hints what to do next? Thanks.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:19 pm
by Chad Campbell
Im getting the same problems..my camera is not showing up in the camera updater on windows or mac.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:33 pm
by onemanmedia
My camera is not even showing up when connected to the USB-C...the camera utility says no camera or accessory found. This happens on both windows and mac using the camera updater 6.1. I assume we update through the USB-C....correct?
Thanks,
Chad

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:14 pm
by Andy Dopieralski
I had the same issue. I couldn't connect through a hub or through the USB C 3.1 port on my tower. I finally tracked down a USB C to A and went into a 2.2A USB 3.0 (not 3.1) port and it worked.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 pm
by David Hutchinson
Yes same problem with both of my cameras.... using a USB2 port worked though

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:16 pm
by ted ramasola
On the old FW 5.2 I could record ProRes but the in camera review was garbled. It's reported to tech support and they have responded, telling me to hold on my cam and they will issue firmware fix.

So after updating firmware to 6.1 I thought my problems would be solved but now I can no longer record in ProRes at all and the camera locks up and would need a power off to recover. This is on all flavors of ProRes, all resolutions, and all 3 types of media.

Upon pressing record, the timer would stop at 1 frame and an "!"(exclamation) appears on the red rec icon.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:48 pm
by Rolands Briedis
Is there any news about Blackmagic RAW for Ursa mini 4.6K? :?

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:26 pm
by Andy Dopieralski
Rolands Briedis wrote:Is there any news about Blackmagic RAW for Ursa mini 4.6K? :?


This update doesn't include anything but updates for the Pocket 4K, sadly. And if it's not in the update notes, BM won't discuss it. Is the non-Pro Ursa line rumored to get BRAW? Last I heard, there are zero plans for the Production 4K and BMCC. However, external SDI recorders could get it. I just wish the industry was looking into the SDK and making encoders for live SDI capture / decoder plugins for industry software. Imagine if the SDK were used to turn Magic Lantern into a BRAW compatible option!

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm
by David Hutchinson
The usb3 problem was giving the following error in Device Manager

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

A request for the USB BOS descriptor failed.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:55 pm
by Lowell Sherris
Ditto on the "No camera or accessory found" error message. My computer has no USB 2.0 ports. Device manager does not show an error message.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 pm
by Aleksandr Belov
USB 2.0 port is required for update.
I connected USB OTG 2.0 cable to 3.0 port.
That helped.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:32 pm
by Travis Ward
I had that "device not recognized" issue all the time. Tried a bunch of different USB cables I have, 3.0 and otherwise, but for some reason they didn't work.

I know it used to be an issue with Windows 10's driver recognition/validation software. I had fixed it on my old computer by disabling driver signature something or other.

Now, though, I just unplug the USB-C cable that my Micro Panel uses (since it's already been fixed on this comp) and it works with all my cameras. Wish I could give something more scientific, but I just want to say that I am using a USB-C cable in a USB 3.0 port and it's working.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 am
by James Spatz
By now I have acqired a good collection of adapters and cables and can easily establish a connection in a number of scenarios. After 2 minutes at 0% I get "updating the camera software failed". This happens even on a plain vanilla dell desktop with native usb2 ports . The device manager always looks like this:

Image

I am beginning to think it is the camera. Perhaps it might be time for Blackmagic support to chime in.

Thanks

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:02 pm
by Aaron Green
Same problem here with the pocket. I've tried 2 different USB 3.0 to USB C cables. Not detected.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:05 am
by Michael Odhiambo
After 6.1 update on a Mojave machine via USB C, now my camera has lost iris functionality to EF lenses. I have tested with Tokina 11-16 and Canon 70-200L II. None of them respond to iris changes either using the scroll wheel or touch screen. I have a viltox II adapter and the rocker on the adapter isn't responding either.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 am
by Thomas Schumacher
I used a USB3-USBC-cable in a USB2-port on my laptop and it went well.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 am
by Kristian Lam
Michael Odhiambo wrote:After 6.1 update on a Mojave machine via USB C, now my camera has lost iris functionality to EF lenses. I have tested with Tokina 11-16 and Canon 70-200L II. None of them respond to iris changes either using the scroll wheel or touch screen. I have a viltox II adapter and the rocker on the adapter isn't responding either.


I have heard positive results from other people downgrading their Viltrox firmware.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am
by Kristian Lam
James Spatz wrote:By now I have acqired a good collection of adapters and cables and can easily establish a connection in a number of scenarios. After 2 minutes at 0% I get "updating the camera software failed". This happens even on a plain vanilla dell desktop with native usb2 ports . The device manager always looks like this:

Image

I am beginning to think it is the camera. Perhaps it might be time for Blackmagic support to chime in.

Thanks


Have you ever installed the 5.2 software? If so, have you tried running the uninstaller first?

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:57 am
by James Spatz
It came from the factory with 5.2. Nevertheless I did go through the cycle of uninstalling 6.1, installing the 5.1 app, which of course sees the camera is up to date, and reinstalling 6.1. Keep in mind I get the same failures on a naive computer with 2.0 ports. It is always in the data transmission part that progress stops.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm
by Robert Niessner
James, could you try this:

* Switch camera on, plugin the cable to the computer - is the camera then recognized?
* keep camera off, connect cable to computer, start 6.1 updater, switch camera on - is the camera then recognized?

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm
by James Spatz
Yes to both scenarios. Connection is straightforward. It is just when updating begins it remains stuck at 0%. Could you or someone else confirm that the device manager state as depicted 2 posts above is what you are getting and is part of a successful update. Not sure why 2 instances and missing driver warning. Thanks.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:16 pm
by Robert Niessner
James, I have now connected the PCC4k to my Win 10 Lenovo laptop via USB-C -> USB 3.0 and in the device manager I get the same symbol which means no driver installed.
You could right click the device in the device managers list and select uninstall to get rid of them.
Maybe you get two entries because you tried it on several USB ports and something then went crazy?

EDIT:

I kept the power camera connected to the laptop and then installed the Install Cameras v6.1.msi
Afterwards the device managers shows that the driver has been installed.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm
by James Spatz
Thank you Robert. I tried your suggestion but cannot get the device to install with drivers. You say you were able to. Can you identify which driver was installed from the properties Driver Details?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:29 pm
by Robert Niessner
It is called CinemaCamera.sys version 4.0.2.0

Is it possible you have some antivirus software running and preventing the installation?

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:06 pm
by Dune00z
Hi,

I have a specific question about the dynamic range/iso update and I am hoping BMD can clarify.

Is this simply an update to the manual to reflect properly what the camera has always captured since the original release? As in, the dynamic range sheet before was inaccurate and needed to be clarified?

Or, has there been a change to what dynamic range is acquired when shooting which also required an update to the manual?

There seems to be some confusion on this and I am seeing speculation from individuals but have not seen specifics from BMD regarding this update.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 pm
by Thomas Schumacher
Kristian Lam wrote:
Michael Odhiambo wrote:After 6.1 update on a Mojave machine via USB C, now my camera has lost iris functionality to EF lenses. I have tested with Tokina 11-16 and Canon 70-200L II. None of them respond to iris changes either using the scroll wheel or touch screen. I have a viltox II adapter and the rocker on the adapter isn't responding either.


I have heard positive results from other people downgrading their Viltrox firmware.


Downgrading the Viltrox EF-M2 firmware to version 2.3 does work: iris changes work fine on the Sigma 18-35, AF doesn't, but I can't recall if it ever has.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 am
by mwalker1000
I tried with any USB 3/3.1 ports and no go. However, USB 2.0 worked perfectly. Once started, screen goes dark, updates to 70%, hangs for a bit, then USB goes down and back up, hangs for a while longer, then USB goes down and back up, then immediately goes from 70% to done and camera screen turns back on. I was worried when it hung up but its probably burning the actual image when it looks like nothing's happening.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 am
by mwalker1000
ted ramasola wrote:On the old FW 5.2 I could record ProRes but the in camera review was garbled. It's reported to tech support and they have responded, telling me to hold on my cam and they will issue firmware fix.

So after updating firmware to 6.1 I thought my problems would be solved but now I can no longer record in ProRes at all and the camera locks up and would need a power off to recover. This is on all flavors of ProRes, all resolutions, and all 3 types of media.

Upon pressing record, the timer would stop at 1 frame and an "!"(exclamation) appears on the red rec icon.


I just upgraded and tested and ProRes works just fine. That has to be something specific to your p4k or your media, IMHO.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:49 am
by mwalker1000
Kristian Lam wrote: • Improved power efficiency for improved battery life.


This fix may allow reliable use with external SSD since it seemed as if the power draw of the camera and an SSD exceeded the battery's load capacity, causing bizarre behavior or shutdowns while recording.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:00 am
by mwalker1000
Kristian Lam wrote: • Updated dynamic range and ISO chart in user manual.


That's a MASSIVE change to dynamic range. Can we get an explanation as to the details of why the change and what its actually changing? Is this just a change to the chart itself, or is this a change to the camera? IMO that's the most important page in the manual so any details would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:33 am
by DavidNJ
I've downloaded twice. Each file is considered corrupt by Win10 and WinRAR,

Help!

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:31 pm
by Robert Niessner
DavidNJ wrote:I've downloaded twice. Each file is considered corrupt by Win10 and WinRAR,

Help!


I have uploaded you the setup to WeTransfer - does that work for you?
https://we.tl/t-N2dhiENKAm

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:11 am
by DavidNJ
Robert Niessner wrote:
DavidNJ wrote:I've downloaded twice. Each file is considered corrupt by Win10 and WinRAR,

Help!


I have uploaded you the setup to WeTransfer - does that work for you?
https://we.tl/t-N2dhiENKAm


I just saw your message, thanks. I can get to that.

Earlier, I downloaded again and today it worked. Always nice to know there are help cinematographers standing by if it hadn't!

Thanks again,

David

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 am
by Robert Niessner
DavidNJ wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:
DavidNJ wrote:I've downloaded twice. Each file is considered corrupt by Win10 and WinRAR,

Help!


I have uploaded you the setup to WeTransfer - does that work for you?
https://we.tl/t-N2dhiENKAm


I just saw your message, thanks. I can get to that.

Earlier, I downloaded again and today it worked. Always nice to know there are help cinematographers standing by if it hadn't!

Thanks again,

David


Gern geschehen, David!

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 pm
by Alex Mack
What is the latest on the red clipping issue with CS4? (What is pixel remapping?)

I want to do something to support the P4K (and eventually Ursa), but I need to know if this will be fixed soon (and when they will be in stock)

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:07 am
by Safa Kaan
Hello, i have an issue about RAW recording after v6.1 release.

Problem is if i DO NOT use HFR (Off Speed Recording) its like sensor recording frame rate is always about 60~ fps and all footage when i use under 60fps like 23.98 or 25 or 30 etc. doesnt matter footage play back slow motion and lose audio sync (it should be impossible when off speed recording off).

(HFR off 50fps vs. 50/50 HFR on seems different. When i want use 23.98fps shooting must use 24fps off speed frame rate cause Off Speed Recording have only 24fps option cannot choose 23.98 or 29.97 or 59.94fps i know its pointless but i have only that option for normal frame rate using in RAW. So if i want use RAW must use 24/24 HFR. But i want use 23.98fps.)

This is happening directly on original footage, i mean when i transfer DNG files to my PC and on DaVinci Resolve show that shot slow motion too.

Its only happening on RAW after 6.1 NOT on ProRes.

Secondary issue when using RAW recording 1080p sensor windowing like 2x digital zoom not like UHD (3840x 2160) sensor windowing is it normal? This is NOT happening on ProRes too. (It is normal sorry for my wrong knowledge.)

Also i was have a screen flickering or glitch issue during ProRes playing back on my P4K before v6.1 now ProRes working fine but RAW have that issue.

Is it common issue or its only happening on my device?

Should i wait BRAW update or ask for RMA ?

Thanx.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:29 am
by Robert Niessner
Safa Kaan wrote:Secondary issue when using RAW recording 1080p sensor windowing like 2x digital zoom not like UHD (3840 x 2160) sensor windowing is it normal? This is NOT happening on ProRes too.


Recording in raw always means you are getting sensor pixels for pixels. It is not possible to get a downscaled 1080p from the 2160p sensor, because if you scale it isn't raw anymore. Well there is a special technique called pixel binning where 2 x 2 pixels are simply combined to form a larger pixel, but this can lead to aliasing and other problems and is not supported by this camera.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am
by Robert Niessner
Safa Kaan wrote:Hello, i have an issue about RAW recording after v6.1 release.

Problem is if i DO NOT use HFR (Off Speed Recording) its like sensor recording frame rate is always about 60~ fps and all footage when i use under 60fps like 23.98 or 25 or 30 etc. doesnt matter footage play back slow motion and lose audio sync (it should be impossible when off speed recording off).

(HFR off 50fps vs. 50/50 HFR on seems different. When i want use 23.98fps shooting must use 24fps off speed frame rate cause Off Speed Recording have only 24fps option cannot choose 23.98 or 29.97 or 59.94fps i know its pointless but i have only that option for normal frame rate using in RAW. So if i want use RAW must use 24/24 HFR. But i want use 23.98fps.)

This is happening directly on original footage, i mean when i transfer DNG files to my PC and on DaVinci Resolve show that shot slow motion too.

Its only happening on RAW after 6.1 NOT on ProRes.


Should i wait BRAW update or ask for RMA ?


Before RMA-ing anything you should give us better and more information so we can see what is going on here. I have just tried my PCC4k at firmware 6.1 with some flavors of raw and I can choose any framerate there is and record and playback correctly.

I try to summarize your problem as I understood here (please correct me where I got it wrong):

1. In the record menu you have set the camera to Cinema DNG (Lossless? | 3:1? | 4:1?) and the resolution to 4K DCI? | UHD? | HD?
2. Project Frame Rate set to? | Off speed recording = OFF | Timelapse = OFF?
3. You are recording to which kind of media?
4. You cannot set project frame rate (PFR) to anything other than 60 fps?
5. Or can you change the PFR but the camera still records at 60 fps?
6. What happens when you try to playback the recorded clip in camera?

7. What happens when you go into the SETUP menu onto page 3 and do a FACTORY RESET by pressing Reset Camera Settings? Is your problem still there?
8. If the problem is still there, I can upload you a camera preset which you have to copy onto your recording media and can import from the PRESET menu. That should put your camera exactly into the state mine is - for reference.

Here is my preset (saved from my camera at firmware 5.2 - just before I did the update):
Unzip it and copy the folder onto your SD/CFast2.0 card/SSD
Presets.zip
(975 Bytes) Downloaded 50 times


After importing you will see a preset in the menu called LBK Setup 2019. Tap to select it and then tap the checkmark below to activate it.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm
by Safa Kaan
Robert Niessner wrote:Before RMA-ing anything you should give us better and more information so we can see what is going on here. I have just tried my PCC4k at firmware 6.1 with some flavors of raw and I can choose any framerate there is and record and playback correctly.

I try to summarize your problem as I understood here (please correct me where I got it wrong):

1. In the record menu you have set the camera to Cinema DNG (Lossless? | 3:1? | 4:1?) and the resolution to 4K DCI? | UHD? | HD?
2. Project Frame Rate set to? | Off speed recording = OFF | Timelapse = OFF?
3. You are recording to which kind of media?
4. You cannot set project frame rate (PFR) to anything other than 60 fps?
5. Or can you change the PFR but the camera still records at 60 fps?
6. What happens when you try to playback the recorded clip in camera?

7. What happens when you go into the SETUP menu onto page 3 and do a FACTORY RESET by pressing Reset Camera Settings? Is your problem still there?
8. If the problem is still there, I can upload you a camera preset which you have to copy onto your recording media and can import from the PRESET menu. That should put your camera exactly into the state mine is - for reference.

1. When Cinema DNG; 4K DCI, UHD, HD ; Lossless | 3:1 | 4:1 all combinations have that issue.
2. Project Frame Rate 23.98 | 24 | 25 | 29.97 | 30 | 50 | 59.94 (not feelible) all of them until 60fps PFR audio sync not correct and slowing play back like off speed recording on. (Off Speed Recording = OFF | Timelapse = OFF)
3. Angelbird AV PRO CF 256GB (exFAT) (Before v6.1 i can shoot 30fps Cinema DNG Lossless now can't shoot because sensor frame rate like stuck at 60fps.)
4. I can set but its working like HFR ON but not the same. When i set it 23.98 its showing on screen live view like 60fps and record result is like 60/23.98 but smoother than actual 60/23.98 record. Also 23.98 and 60/23.98 seems different exposure at 180 degree shutter.
5. Yes kind like that. Cause shots on PC show me FPS at which i choosed. And playing at that fps but its showing like After Effects Twixtor slow motion, thats why i said smoother than 60/23.98 HFR ON setting.
6. Its exacly the same in camera and PC. Under 60FPS recording, slow motion play back.

7. I tried it firtsly several times. Did not work.
8. I tried your preset too, result is same its only change personal settings but Cinema DNG still have that issue.

Ps: Before v6.1 Cinema DNG was working fine but i have ProRes play back sensor capture flickering issue on Camera not on footage. I don't know its connected issues each other or not.

Now with v6.1 ProRes working fine but can't using Cinema DNG. Now only HFR (Off Speed Recording) = ON working properly. Thats why i asked should i wait BRAW update or RMA.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 pm
by Robert Niessner
Then it is time to contact support. Seems like a bug in the firmware affecting cameras with the ProRes playback problem. I've read a report from another user with the same problem like you.

Re: Cameras v6.1 software update released

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:49 am
by kantatec
Thomas Schumacher wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:
Michael Odhiambo wrote:After 6.1 update on a Mojave machine via USB C, now my camera has lost iris functionality to EF lenses. I have tested with Tokina 11-16 and Canon 70-200L II. None of them respond to iris changes either using the scroll wheel or touch screen. I have a viltox II adapter and the rocker on the adapter isn't responding either.


I have heard positive results from other people downgrading their Viltrox firmware.


Downgrading the Viltrox EF-M2 firmware to version 2.3 does work: iris changes work fine on the Sigma 18-35, AF doesn't, but I can't recall if it ever has.


The same issue. Downgrading helps. Thank you!