Cheap cage+rods+baseplate+top handle?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

garypayton

Cheap cage+rods+baseplate+top handle?

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Hey guys,

i know most of the people here suggest to buy products especially made for the BMPCC4k, but sometimes when you are on a budget you try to find other solutions.

I am searching for a all in one solution (cage+rods+baseplate+top handle).
This one was PERFECT : https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XJP ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought some products from Neewer, their material quality is not bad for that price point. Sadly, this cage cannot be used because is too small.

Any of you know about a similar, adaptable/universal cage at that price point?

Ryan Humphrey

Re: Cheap cage+rods+baseplate+top handle?

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Do some searching around aliexpress. There's an almost infinite amount of combinations of cheap mounting and rigging products. The problem is that the searching and navigation/categories are terrible. What you are looking for is there in some combination. You just may not be able to find it.

MrHotter

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm

I find myself going back to SmallRig after searching around for other alternatives in my price range.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-basep ... -2261.html

I don't think it's in an 'all in one' kit, but you can order the other parts you need from the 'Related Products' on the side. Cage/Rails/Baseplate will run you around $100 US dollars.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Fornez

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I have both the smallrig full and half cage for the bmpcc4k and am very happy with the build quality and price. I'm about to buy their shoulder mount kit as well. Definitely recommend them

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 pm

It's not out yet, but I'm planning on getting Tilta's modular cage solution:

https://products.tilta.com/bmpcc4k/

It looks really well thought out, especially the integrated hood, cable locks and really lightweight method for adding a follow focus rod.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Ryan Humphrey

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 am

I keep going back and forth. Until my camera arrives it remains academic ;)
The Tilta cage looks slicker and better fitting. I love the Tilta cable locks. Much, much better than anything I've seen anywhere else. Also really like the look of their screen hood. I am also intrigued by the V-Mount cage they have planned for the future that mounts under the camera cage.

However once you get away from the stuff custom made for the Pocket 4k the rest of the ecosystem is less attractive to me. The various plates and connectors Smallrig offers are clean and functional with lots of options while also being much more reasonably priced. Also a little less custom. Easier to adapt and grow down the road without being locked into one system.

The first of the Tilta reviews are starting to trickle out with deliveries. Hopefully there will be better info and comparisons soon.

rick.lang

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 4:22 am

Tilta has done a thoroughly impressive design of an entire ecosystem around the cage and half cage. If you are starting out to assemble a rig around the BMPCC4K and want to add additional Tilta components, such as their Nucleus Nano, it’s hard to beat for elegance and operational efficacy. If you already have some of those key accessories, it’s not quite as compelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

ricardo marty

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 6:37 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:It's not out yet, but I'm planning on getting Tilta's modular cage solution:

https://products.tilta.com/bmpcc4k/

It looks really well thought out, especially the integrated hood, cable locks and really lightweight method for adding a follow focus rod.

Actually its available. I preordered on nov and just got a notice that it will ship next week.

Ricardo Marty

Return to Cinematography