We need help in Brazil with BMPCC IR Filter

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adriano Oliveira

We need help in Brazil with BMPCC IR Filter

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 1:19 am

Hi,

Every person I know in Brazil that owns a BMPCC or a BMMCC needs to replace the sensor IR filter (*edited) over the sensor due to glass corrosion. I myself have replaced mine twice and I am about to do it again...

The filter from BM in USA cust US$ 15,00. In Brazil, the local service that BM recomends charge us R$ 800 (US$ 200) for the glass only and R$ 1.100 (US$ 275) for the glass and the replacement service. This is just an impossible price to pay and an expressive number of good Pockets and Micros are now useless here. It is a shame.

This is just unaceptble. Of course it is a sistematic problem related do bad part design. I do hope this has chaged in new Pocket 4k...

I urge Blackmagic to find a Support solution for us out here.
Last edited by Adriano Oliveira on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Adriano Oliveira
Windows 11
RTX 3060 6GB

Dmytro Shijan

Re: We need help in Brazil with BMPCC OLPF

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 1:58 am

It is not a OLPF, it s just a sensor protection glass with very light IR UV filter.
Try to use some local forwarding company service to purchase glass to USA address and delivery to your place. This kind of service usually costs only 5-10 dollars.
Just wonder, did glass from BM in USA for US$15 provided by US Blackmagic support or by some other supplier?
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Adriano Oliveira

Re: We need help in Brazil with BMPCC OLPF

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 2:28 am

Dmitry Shijan wrote:It is not a OLPF, it s just a sensor protection glass with very light IR UV filter.
Try to use some local forwarding company service to purchase glass to USA address and delivery to your place. This kind of service usually costs only 5-10 dollars.
Just wonder, did glass from BM in USA for US$15 provided by US Blackmagic support or by some other supplier?

Ok, just edited it.

The problem is that BM is now refusing to send the filter to custumers here and telling them to buy from expensive local support (a friend tryed recently). We need a better local support solution, some users here hardly speek english.
-----
Adriano Oliveira
Windows 11
RTX 3060 6GB

Chris Shivers

Re: We need help in Brazil with BMPCC IR Filter

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 3:50 am

yea buy it from the U.S. but ship it to a forwarding service that's in the U.S. and have them ship it to you

Thiago Logasa

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi good morning.

I've been through the same disorder. The glass in the BM of the US costs 15 dollars, here in Brazil the assistance wants to charge 200 dollars is absurd for us that we know that we will have to change the glass again, therefore, it is a recurring problem. Pocket suffered an absurd price depreciation in Brazil with the release of Pocket 4K and we still suffer from the congenital problem of glass. A positioning of BM is necessary since one of the main guidelines of the company is the right relation with the clients.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having this trouble. The cost of the Glass on that camera is actually $55 dollars, but that is really a separate issue.

The replacement is non-trivial and must be done in a clean room. This is part of the reason it is so expensive. It's about a hour job to get it done and requires a special facility. The job is not hard per-se, but it is tedious and requires experience.

May I ask where you purchased your camera from? Our distributor is generally really good about doing this repair. Of coures, if the camera was not purchased through their channel they'll charge a labor fee.

Another option would be to send the camera back to us in the states and we can do the replacement for you. You would need to contract a forwarder to handle getting the camera back to you as we don't cover duties and that can be quite expensive (as you know).

Let me know where you purchased the camera and we'll see what we can do.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

UlisesGuerrero

PostSun Oct 03, 2021 1:06 am

I just found my camera has the exact same problem. So it is literally impossible to have a permanent fix? Need to replace every three months?

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 03, 2021 9:42 am

I don't think so. It may be caused by humidity and warm climate. Mine was always stored in a dry cabinet and has lasted much longer, only now starting to show some degradation.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

lee4ever

PostSun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 pm

the solution is rawlite olpf.

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 03, 2021 5:52 pm

Which, unfortunately, might cost more than the camera is worth until you hold it in your hand in Brazil.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

UlisesGuerrero

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 1:26 am

Just found that the sellers on Ebay selling the glass have a "coated" version, which would prevent it from failing so quickly, anyone has tried?

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 5:05 pm

In fact, it takes less than 10 min to replace it.
The problem is really the clean room. That will take you another hour just going back and forth recleaning it. Still, much better than pay that ridiculous price. Bought mine for my BMCC 2.5K from China (Aliexpress), paid a bit more than R$ 200,00 in total (50 dollars nowadays), received it around 30 days later and was very skeptical untill I used it in some shoots and all is fine since then. As good as brand new.
It was several months ago and its starting to show those signs again. I discovered that if you take it out and clean it from time to time, you can make it last considerably longer. I hope it helps. Its a robust camera with great image (WHEN it is working properly) even for todays standards.

Curious about this coated version. Havent heard about it until now. Do you have a link?
Ulysses Paiva

UlisesGuerrero

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 1:27 pm

This is the IR filter that says "coated":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274882652294?h ... SwgOVg2pol

Either that or send for RMA every 6 months... I wonder.

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 5:31 pm

There seems to be a coated version, but this one is for the 6K model.

Return to Cinematography