Dnxhr

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Shivers

Dnxhr

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 am

What happened to that, if I could remember correctly my Ursa Mini 4.6k, not the pro, had an option for dnxhr, pro res and, raw. What happened to the support? Yesterday I rendered out my raw on the P4K to DnxHr and it played like it was BRaw file, so so so smooth. It would be great if we had an option like that for the P4K for windows because pro res is not smooth on my machine, and resolve can’t export pro res for windows.

Uli Plank

Re: Dnxhr

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 1:31 am

Seems it was once planned but never made it. Let's hope for Braw.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

timbutt2

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:57 pm

On the URSA Mini Pro the area where DNxHR would have been is now replaced with Blackmagic RAW.

On the URSA Mini 4.6K the area with DNxHR is still greyed out. My suspicion is that it will be replaced by Blackmagic RAW when it finally comes to the URSA Mini 4.6K.

So in other words Blackmagic RAW will replace DNxHR.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:Yesterday I rendered out my raw on the P4K to DnxHr and it played like it was BRaw file, so so so smooth.

But is not raw, and many flavour of DNxHD/hr are 8bit and not 10 like prores, or 12 bit like raw.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Chris Shivers

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 7:09 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Chris Shivers wrote:Yesterday I rendered out my raw on the P4K to DnxHr and it played like it was BRaw file, so so so smooth.

But is not raw, and many flavour of DNxHD/hr are 8bit and not 10 like prores, or 12 bit like raw.

Of course it’s not raw, but has the same playback speed as BRaw. HD is probably 8bit, but I know for DnxHR you have 4444 12bit and 422 12bit, so on and so fourth. And DnxHR HQ is 8bit. Since resolve doesn’t have pro res for windows we have to use that. Here a link that avid put out for the specification for the codec: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... ifications

Chris Shivers

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 pm

timbutt2 wrote:On the URSA Mini Pro the area where DNxHR would have been is now replaced with Blackmagic RAW.

On the URSA Mini 4.6K the area with DNxHR is still greyed out. My suspicion is that it will be replaced by Blackmagic RAW when it finally comes to the URSA Mini 4.6K.

So in other words Blackmagic RAW will replace DNxHR.

I might end up buying the Ursa Mini 4.6k again, I loved that camera. Especially once it gets BRaw, it’s gonna be a hard choice between the ump and the um4.6k

Robert Niessner

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 pm

I too would love to finally see DNxHR support in the cameras.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

carlomacchiavello

Dnxhr

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:

Of course it’s not raw, but has the same playback speed as BRaw. HD is probably 8bit, but I know for DnxHR you have 4444 12bit and 422 12bit, so on and so fourth. And DnxHR HQ is 8bit. Since resolve doesn’t have pro res for windows we have to use that. Here a link that avid put out for the specification for the codec: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... ifications

Nice table I keep it for when I will be forced to use dnxhr (sometime happen). This is the specific reason that I hate DNxHD/hr
Too many flavour that when you need to choose on software I need to check external table to know how many bit and quality I could have or I waste.
Dnxhr have nothing to offer me about performance against Di like prores or cineform on Mac and windows, if you work under windows cineform is faster and better on playback and keep more quality. Never under 10bit, ever alpha enable, quality from 1 to 5 with wavelet tech that never give you digital compressions’ defects.
No more need.
Dnxhr work fine with avid but only if build mxf container and with right structure for avid, on other software you not have same acceleration.
Anyway if you need to edit build a simple 4xhdd mechanical and you can work fine and faster also with 4K raw without any delay and avoid conversion to other DI

rick.lang

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 11:18 pm

It may be an issue if clients request that codec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 5:32 am

Well, if you have important clients demanding it straight out of the camera, you'll need a DNxHR capable recorder or another camera (if they pay enough). Other than that, where is the problem?

Braw is better than ProRes or DNxHR in grading and you can deliver DNxHR on either platform.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

timbutt2

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 am

Uli Plank wrote:Well, if you have important clients demanding it straight out of the camera, you'll need a DNxHR capable recorder or another camera (if they pay enough). Other than that, where is the problem?

Braw is better than ProRes or DNxHR in grading and you can deliver DNxHR on either platform.

I can confirm from some tests with the BRAW shared by Blackmagic it's far better than ProRes. Heck, on a 2018 MacBook Pro you could play BRAW at 4.6K in Resolve with a whole lot of cross dissolves and have no issue. UHD ProRes 422 and UHD ProRes 422 HQ is going to stutter with the cross dissolves. Add in that BRAW gives you all the power of RAW and yeah I don't see why I would ever shoot ProRes or DNx again once BRAW comes to the URSA Mini 4.6K.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography