Viewer for BMCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

EricCosh

Viewer for BMCC?

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi all:
I'm just checking to see if anyone has come up with a Zacuto like viewer solution for the BMCC. I made a hood for mine, and also have the Hoodman H700P that I've had for years, but that really doesn't help shooters like myself who need dioptics like the Zacuto has. Right now, I've been using my Zacuto placed right on the screen for focus, iris etc..., but it's just not practical. We need something like the Zacuto that would just snap onto BMCC, like the ones I have on my Canon cameras, but with the bottom open so we can put our fingers inside to control the screen. Any thoughts?

warmly,
eric

Darryl Gregory

Re: Viewer for BMCC?

EricCosh

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 am

Hi Darryl.
Yes, I'm very familiar with this and in fact have spoken with him. He's out of Philadelphia. Two big problems. One, it doesn't have dioptics. Two, it folds up where I have my lights and microphones. It's just not practical for what I need it for, but thanks for the input.

warmly,
eric

Anthony Vescio

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 am

Hoodman showed this at NAB, not sure when release date is tho

Jdear

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 1:27 pm

why not an external monitor?
I plan to use my smallhd4 evf with my future 4k bm

EricCosh

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks for sending the Vimeo from Hoodman. I already have the Hoodman H700P that works OK in conjunction with the Zacuto pressed against the screen, but it's kind of impractical. The new one that they're working on looks promising, but again for people like myself who's eyes are getting worse everyday, I need to have dioptics.

As for using an external monitor, that's great for a studio shot, but if I'm inside under ideal lighting conditions, I can see the screen perfectly without the need for a viewer. When your shooting outside under bright lighting conditions, even an external monitor is going to have to be shaded.

What we need is something very similar to the Zacuto but a little larger, with the bottom something like the new hoodman, and with dioptics. Someone who comes up with that will have a winner.

warmly,
eric

Hearnia

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Hoodman said the BMCC hood won't be available for another 2-3 months still.
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

Return to Cinematography