2-3 sec. @ higher fps technical possible on the 4K cam.?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

F.A.D.

2-3 sec. @ higher fps technical possible on the 4K cam.?

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 am

Hi,

I know that the topic of higher frame rates for continuous recording on the 4K Production Camera has been discussed earlier.

But what about a short burst of 2-3 seconds @ 120fps f.e.? For most cases that would be enough time.

I understand that for continous recording there are heating issues as well as issues with the much higher datarate. A short burst of 2-3 seconds could be recorded into a buffer or something or could also be transfered to an external recorder via SDI.

Would that work in theroy for the 4K production camera, or are there hardwarelimits that would even prevent a 2-3 seonds recording @ higher frame rates?

Thank you in advance for the information. I'm really thinking of buying a 4K Production Camera, knowing that it would technical be possible and later added through a firmware update would make my decision easier ;-)

Best regards,

David

Thomas Schumacher

Re: 2-3 sec. @ higher fps technical possible on the 4K cam.?

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 9:24 am

Never buy anything on the assumption (who ever made it) that a later firmware-update would give you something you're already paying for.

As I don't know how often you need higher framerates, why not just renting a camera for these
situations?

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/35mmd ... e/overview
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

F.A.D.

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 am

Thank you for your answer!

Maybe I'm a bit biased by the fact that I can now record RAW video with my 4 year old 5D MKII via a firmware update ;-)

We would need some SloMo on a more regular basis so renting would not be an option on the long term. Recording RAW with the FS700 and Sony's recorders will cost you about 18.000$ which is quite a bit.

I was just wondering because even cheaper cameras like the GoPro Black can record a lot more data for a very short time (30 Photos in highest resolution in 1 second), or the Casio Point and Shot that can do Super Slomo for 2 seconds.

Best regards.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Actually i think this must be possible, but i don't think it will be built. Maybe we'll have to wait for someone to hack the BM CC as well... ;-)

Return to Cinematography