New camera!! URSA Mini Pro G2. 300 FPS!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

pulalis

New camera!! URSA Mini Pro G2. 300 FPS!

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 1:49 pm

New blackmagic ursa mini pro G2!!
4.6K images at up to 120 frames per second
windowed 4K DCI at up 150 frames per second
windowed 1080 HD at an amazing 300 frames per second
USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1 for external drive recording and software updates.

5995$

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/ ... 0190305-01
Last edited by pulalis on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pulalis

Re: New camera!! URSA Mini Pro G2

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Next generation URSA Mini Pro camera features new electronics, Super 35 4.6K HDR image sensor, 15 stops of dynamic range, 300 fps high frame rate shooting, Blackmagic RAW and more!

Fremont, California, USA - March 5, 2019 - Blackmagic Design today announced URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, a second generation URSA Mini Pro camera featuring fully redesigned electronics and a new Super 35mm 4.6K image sensor with 15 stops of dynamic range that combine to support high frame rate shooting at up to 300 frames per second. In addition, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 supports Blackmagic RAW and features a new USB-C expansion port for direct recording to external disks.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is available now for $5,995 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.

The new URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is a dramatic advancement over the original model as it now features entirely new electronics for higher speed processing. Also included is a new Super 35mm 4.6K image sensor that captures up to 4608 x 2592 pixels with 15 stops of latitude at up to 3200 ISO. This allows customers to record full sensor 4.6K images at up to 120 frames per second, windowed 4K DCI at up 150 frames per second, and windowed 1080 HD at an amazing 300 frames per second. That makes URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 ideal for capturing stylized fast action documentary work, nature photography, sports and more.

In addition, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 can capture Blackmagic RAW images in both film and extended video modes, making it perfect for high end feature films, television shows, commercials, and indie films as well as broadcast news, studio and even live multi camera production.

Blackmagic RAW is a revolutionary, next generation codec that gives customers visually lossless images, extensive metadata support and highly optimized GPU and CPU accelerated processing. Blackmagic RAW combines the quality and workflow advantages of traditional RAW formats with the speed and ease of use of standard video codecs. With Blackmagic RAW, customers can choose compression levels up to 12:1 and still get stunning images that can be used for feature films, documentaries and broadcast programming. Blackmagic RAW settings such as 12:1 are important to allow customers to get the highest frame rates from the camera, and this means only Blackmagic RAW can allow high frame rates while retaining enough quality for professional results.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also uses Blackmagic Design Generation 4 Color Science for superior imaging that results in extremely accurate skin tones and gorgeous, lifelike colors that rival those of cameras costing tens of thousands of dollars more. Blackmagic RAW images are encoded using a custom non-linear 12-bit space designed to provide the maximum amount of color data and dynamic range. These formats can be recorded onto CFast or SD cards, as well as direct to flash disks using the new USB-C expansion port.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is designed to be extremely tough and fully featured. It includes everything customers need in a compact handheld magnesium alloy body that’s durable and light enough to use anywhere. There’s an external high visibility backlit LCD status display for viewing critical shooting information, a foldout touch screen for reviewing shots without needing an extra on-set monitor, professional connections such as 12G-SDI, XLR audio, built in high quality stereo microphones and more. Plus, every single control on the camera is redundant, including the power, so if anything should go wrong in the field, the camera can still be used.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 features neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation for quickly reducing the amount of light that enters the camera. The 2, 4 and 6 stop filters are specifically designed to match the colorimetry of the camera and provide additional latitude, even under harsh lighting conditions. That means customers can use different combinations of aperture and shutter angle to achieve shallower depth of field, or specific levels of motion blur, in a wider range of situations. The IR filters evenly compensate for both far red and infrared wave lengths to eliminate IR contamination. The ND filters are true optical filters with a precision mechanism that quickly moves them into place when the ND filter dial is turned.

The broadcast camera design of URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 puts powerful external control buttons, switches, knobs and dials on the outside of the camera, giving customers direct access to the most important camera settings. The controls are laid out in a logical order that makes them easy to remember so cinematographers can operate the camera without having to look at the buttons, hunt through menus, or take their eye off of the action. URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also features a high visibility status screen that displays important information such as timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status, and audio levels. The status display features a backlight and is designed to be clearly visible in both dimly lit studios and outside in direct sunlight.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 comes standard with an interchangeable EF lens mount for working high quality photographic lenses. If the camera is being used on a high end film or commercial shoot that calls for large cinematic lenses, simply remove the EF mount and replace it with the optional PL mount. There’s even a B4 broadcast lens mount for working with broadcast HD lenses. URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also includes a standard 12 pin Hirose lens control connector.

Featuring both dual C-Fast 2.0 recorders and dual SD UHS-II card recorders, customers can choose the media that works best for their projects. C-Fast cards are ideal for full resolution Blackmagic RAW 12 bit recording, while UHS-II SD cards are inexpensive and commonly available, making them perfect for recording Blackmagic RAW 8:1 or 12:1 for Ultra HD and regular HD files. With dual slots for each media type, the camera never has to stop recording because when the first card is full, it automatically continues onto the next card. Full cards can be swapped for empty ones, all without stopping the camera.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also includes a new and innovative high speed USB-C expansion port for adding accessories such as an SSD for external recording. That means customers can now record for even longer durations without stopping. Plus, they can record directly onto the same external disks they will use for editing and color correction.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 includes the full DaVinci Resolve Studio software, giving customers a complete post production solution. This powerful software combines professional nonlinear video editing with the world’s most advanced color corrector for importing, editing, color correcting, finishing and delivering projects shot on URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2. DaVinci Resolve Studio works natively with Blackmagic RAW files from the camera, so customers can take them directly into post production without having to convert or change them. Every single bit of quality is preserved because it is a true lossless workflow. Using DaVinci Resolve Studio is the fastest and highest quality way to work with Blackmagic RAW files from URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2.

“The original URSA Mini Pro has been an extremely successful and very popular camera,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is exciting because it gives customers second generation electronics and an even higher performance image sensor so they can shoot at extremely high frame rates for crystal clear slow motion images. URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is powerful enough to be used on high end feature films and television shows, versatile enough to be used for broadcast news and live multi camera event production, and affordable enough for indie filmmakers and even students! It’s like getting 3 cameras in one!”

Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 Key Features
Digital film camera with 15 stops of dynamic range.
Super 35mm 4.6K sensor with Blackmagic Design Generation 4 Color Science.
Supports project frame rates up to 60 fps and off-speed slow motion recording up to 120 fps in 4.6K, 150 fps in 4K DCI and 300 fps in HD Blackmagic RAW.
Interchangeable lens mount with EF mount included as standard. Optional PL, B4 and F lens mounts available separately.
High quality 2, 4 and 6 stop neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation designed to specifically match the colorimetry and color science of Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2.
Fully redundant controls including external controls which allow direct access to the most important camera settings such as external power switch, ND filter wheel, ISO, shutter, white balance, record button, audio gain controls, lens and transport control, high frame rate button and more.
Built in dual C-Fast 2.0 recorders and dual SD/UHS-II card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
High speed USB-C expansion port for recording directly to an external SSD or flash disk.
Lightweight and durable magnesium alloy body.
LCD status display for quickly checking timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status, and audio levels.
Support for Blackmagic RAW files in Constant Bitrate 3:1, 5:1, 8:1 and 12:1 or Constant Quality Q0 and Q5 as well as ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at 4.6K, 4K, Ultra HD and HD resolutions.
Supports recording of up to 300 frames per second in HD, 150 frames per second in 4K DCI, and 120 frames per second at full frame 4.6K.
Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
Built in high quality stereo microphones for recording sound.
4 inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software.

leokessie

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 1:57 pm

What does this mean for us to have the Ursa Mini Pro? :(

Ash Tailor

Re: New camera!! URSA Mini Pro G2. 300 FPS!

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 2:23 pm

So apart from frame rates and audio circuitry is there anything different?

They mentioned something about sensor uniformity and colour. Anybody have any more info on this?

MScDre

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Dangit I want it, maybe they do an upgrade program for existing UMP users?

I had expected them to launch something much better than my UMP and more expensive, not an incrementally better successor at the same price as I bought mine last year

Ed_Mantle

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 2:46 pm

MScDre wrote:Dangit I want it, maybe they do an upgrade program for existing UMP users?

I had expected them to launch something much better than my UMP and more expensive, not an incrementally better successor at the same price as I bought mine last year

I feel this - but actually incrementally better is probably nicer for current owners. I bought mine in December. Thankfully I didn't spring for the SSD module!

This has got some nice stuff and will improve quality for new owners but there's nothing that really freaks me out as a 1st gen owner. This is kind of like what they did with the Pro update from the original Ursa Mini 4.6k - it was nice for new buyers but didn't leave previous owners feeling sore and obsolete.

I think the next one would be a big jump from UMP G1 and that's something I'd be happy to get. If they do an upgrade programme I'd consider (for USB-C and audio improvements mainly) it but overall I'm happy to wait until Mk2/G3.

JacobSchuhle

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 2:49 pm

I honestly care more about having custom crop guides on the camera than any of the new features (nice to have though they would be).

Ed_Mantle

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 2:52 pm

JacobSchuhle wrote:I honestly care more about having custom crop guides on the camera than any of the new features (nice to have though they would be).

Right!?

Also - gosh he is really laying into CNDG... whoever brought the action against them must have pissed them off! Constantly referring to it as "useless", "obsolete", "waste of time" etc.

EROSE06

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I was hoping for a better anamorphic mode. I'm still going to get it it though. I'm also wondering if there will be an update to the URSA, Maybe a large format 8k sensor. I guess wee will find out at NAB.
Cameras owned: Pocket 4k and 6k

Jay Soriano

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Lowlight is key for me. Has it improved? Would also like to use this in a broadcast environment. Was hoping for dual ISO. Lowlight performance is the only thing holding me back. Thoughts?
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Jay Soriano wrote:Lowlight is key for me. Has it improved? Would also like to use this in a broadcast environment. Was hoping for dual ISO. Lowlight performance is the only thing holding me back. Thoughts?

As long as nobody has had there hands on it and tested this. Nobody will have the right answer!! But i would not hold my breath on this.. Because IF it would have been improved.. This would be big news and sure they would have mentioned this as a big PLUS feature.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Vess Stoytchev

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm

120 fps in full frame is great. We had hour UMP replaced with a new one last month. Maybe they can replace it with G2 this month :D

These cameras are getting annual updates like phones. Not such a nice thing.

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Why? Did the older one suddenly get worse? I still use my cellphone from 4 years ago.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Why? Did the older one suddenly get worse? I still use my cellphone from 4 years ago.

right, if you don't need a super slow motion to work, we only need to see if sensor is better, the news talk about new electronic to manage faster data, not a new sensor. we wait and see :-D

MrHotter

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 4:15 pm

I'm surprised that they did not incorporate dual native ISO into the new Mini Pro. If the new camera was just meant for lit scenes, I would not mention it, but they do say it can be used for run and gun and events.

From what I can see, this may make it a good time to get the last version of the Mini Pro when the price goes down. Someone using (and enjoying) the Pocket 4k will have a more reasonably priced upgrade path and can have two cameras that use the Blackmagic RAW for consistency.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Colourberry

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 4:50 pm

300 FPS would be nice but I'm surprised the ISO hasn't changed from 3200. I felt sure that would be improved.

Also it looks like the side Mo. It or has to be open in order to plug in the usbc. Having to unplug everytime you want to pit the camera away.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

blofeld

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Dear Blackmagic Design,

Give us 2.3k super 16 sized crop and custom framelines. These options imo would make the new Ursa nearly the perfect cinematic documentary camera for those of us on budget. (And no, current hd crop is not enough for pristine hd delivery and wastes too much of super 16 optics coverage).

Thank You

michaeldhead

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Colourberry wrote:300 FPS would be nice but I'm surprised the ISO hasn't changed from 3200. I felt sure that would be improved.

It's a new sensor - I would be surprised if the lowlight isn't better.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Craig Sawyer

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 6:26 pm

leokessie wrote:What does this mean for us to have the Ursa Mini Pro? :(

It means you still have a URSA Mini Pro.
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

MelFeliciano

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 6:38 pm

I was sure that the next Ursa Mini Pro would incorporate the Dual ISO featured in the BMD.

Recording to an external SSD is great but since the USB-C port is in the card compartment, you wont be able to close the LCD screen and put the camera on the shoulder while recording in this way.

Nick Lavigne

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 6:40 pm

It's a nice incremental update. No one should be upset with their current camera, at all.

For a full update, a mini pro 2. You would have probably seen dual ISO, a change to PCI-Express based media cards or an SSD slot, 180° fold out screen, and more 12g SDI outs.

It's nice to see them always working on things and not rushing into the new stuff which would increase the cost dramatically.
I love these update videos

MScDre

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 8:27 pm

MelFeliciano wrote:I was sure that the next Ursa Mini Pro would incorporate the Dual ISO featured in the BMD.

Recording to an external SSD is great but since the USB-C port is in the card compartment, you wont be able to close the LCD screen and put the camera on the shoulder while recording in this way.

Yeah I was super excited about the USB-C until I realised they hadn't moved the port

DorisLondon

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 9:14 pm

What will BM have left to announce at NAB 2019?

D.

giuseppeflandoli

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 pm

Any turn in programs in site?

It would be nice, id pay 2k more for an upgrade instead of having to sell and buy.
Cinematógrafo
www.giuseppeflandoli.com
Mail: info@giuseppeflandoli.com
Cel: (+593) 98.963.3933

bmwinchell88

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 pm

giuseppeflandoli wrote:Any turn in programs in site?

It would be nice, id pay 2k more for an upgrade instead of having to sell and buy.

Agreed. I would easily pay $2k to upgrade from my current UMP. I just bought the UMP last year, and would suck to go through the hassle of selling and rebuying for an incremental upgrade (frame rates).

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 11:18 pm

DorisLondon wrote:What will BM have left to announce at NAB 2019?

D.

Some new Atem and converter stuff i guess.. ;) Because the camera side of things is covered now :P
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Colourberry

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 11:33 pm

michaeldhead wrote:
Colourberry wrote:300 FPS would be nice but I'm surprised the ISO hasn't changed from 3200. I felt sure that would be improved.

It's a new sensor - I would be surprised if the lowlight isn't better.

Its still maxing out at 3200. Grant made no reference to low light so I doubt its improved otherwise surely he would mention it.

When I first got my Sony F5 years ago it could only shoot 120fps if I remember right. Then a firmware update gave us 180 fps and then they unlocked 240fps.

I cant help wonder if all they've done is unlock some FPS theyve optimised.

ricardo marty

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:16 am

D.

He mentioned a huge upgrade for resolve.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Krishna Pada

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 am

I thought the Dual ISO sensor will be incorporated.
So have to wait till the next NAB.
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Nate Porter

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 am

Xtreemtec wrote:

D.

Some new Atem and converter stuff i guess.. ;) Because the camera side of things is covered now :P
I'm hoping for and update to the videohub frame so we can do 4k routing in 72x72 or 288x288.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 4:30 am

As that's not $595 price, things must be bad. Like Arri who bought a sensor technology that then doesn't get improved in picture performance. They definitely have drawn a line in the sand as low end.

Years ago I suggested that the Alexa like performance as marketable, as a beginning, not an end. No 16 stop minimum, no 16 bit linear for working the image in high end HDR. No 6k for a camera which is going into the 8k era. I thought the 4.6k series might drift down in price as a higher end series came in. Now the pocket 4k just looks better value (ironically).

Doris, hopefully something forwards thinking.

The micros and studio products are yet to be replaced, and the Ursa hasn't been for many years. We can hope. A 1 inch latest Sony 4k Micro series would be good, because you could look at 15 stops dynamic range.

The problem is Sony has stated they will be using their latest sensor/technology? first. So we could look at what they released a year ago. That is a problem with the pocket, I feel. I would have expected 15 stop (and 14 bit mode). They realistically wouldn't want to release a 15 stop 14 bit V2 after 6 months or so. So, the only thing they can do about that, is announce something like a pro version people talk about wanting, with all the improvements, and photography features, sacrificing a bit of the very low light ability for 6k, or 8k, to justify a $2000 price, so pocket 4k users are not too miffed. They might find half the 4k backorders get cancelled and transfered over to the Pro model in September. They would then catch up with 4k orders more quickly, with most now Pro transfered orders not realising they are really waiting an extra 3-6 months. By then they would have time to ready first a high influx of Pro orders. They could name the Pro edition Black Magic Pocket 6k Pro Photographic edition. People on this side of the industry would realise it is a more advanced filming camera, but people on the Stills side realise it is a more advanced Photographic camera with great filming mode.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

thomas bruegger

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 am

Wow new UMP2, this is great news, seems the UMP 2 has some nice new features, also lots of open Questions:
    is the new Sensor a upgraded Fairchild sensor? or completly new? can we expect a similar look to the UMP1?
    how fast are the Sensor-Readout times, Grant just mentions "faster". We know the readout time on the UMP1 in 4.6k was around 15ms, how much faster are they in the UMP2?
    Can we expect less or no FPN in ISO 1600/3200 with the new Electronics?
    will some of the features like reprograming the HFR button come to our UMP1's?
    Why didnt they finally implement a locking EF-Mount(like Red, Kinfenity,
    even Speedboosters have)? I expected this something very pressing on the user-demand list.
    Now that they are pushing BRAW how is the state of it in the market? Will Adobe adopt it soon? Until now i found no client in the past months wanting BRAW because they all work with Premiere.
    Will there be a BRAW player for windows at any time? Its funny grant is ranting C DNG that you cant watch the movie only a frame from the OS level.... well BRAW you cant even do this in Windows.

I hope the Blackmagic Team is bringing some light into the dark any time soon. thanks
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Adam Langdon

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Will the UMP G1 get a firmware update to improve any of these features?

(I’m mostly concerned with lower-light stuff)
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Robert Niessner

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 2:06 pm

thomas bruegger wrote:Wow new UMP2, this is great news, seems the UMP 2 has some nice new features, also lots of open Questions:
    is the new Sensor a upgraded Fairchild sensor? or completly new? can we expect a similar look to the UMP1?
    how fast are the Sensor-Readout times, Grant just mentions "faster". We know the readout time on the UMP1 in 4.6k was around 15ms, how much faster are they in the UMP2?
    Can we expect less or no FPN in ISO 1600/3200 with the new Electronics?
    will some of the features like reprograming the HFR button come to our UMP1's?
    Why didnt they finally implement a locking EF-Mount(like Red, Kinfenity,
    even Speedboosters have)? I expected this something very pressing on the user-demand list.
    Now that they are pushing BRAW how is the state of it in the market? Will Adobe adopt it soon? Until now i found no client in the past months wanting BRAW because they all work with Premiere.
    Will there be a BRAW player for windows at any time? Its funny grant is ranting C DNG that you cant watch the movie only a frame from the OS level.... well BRAW you cant even do this in Windows.

I hope the Blackmagic Team is bringing some light into the dark any time soon. thanks

From a logical perspective I'd say it is an incrementally improved version of the Gen 1.
As the sensor readout time on Gen 1 was 15.22 ms (60fps max at 4.6k) it should be 7.61 ms with Gen 2 (120fps max at 4.6k). And Gen 1 was 6.3 ms at 1080p windowed, so I guess we will get at least 3.3 ms at 1080p windowed because of the 300fps.
Which would be very impressive. The Arri Alexa has 6 ms at 2k, the Amira 2 ms at 2k

And boy I'd wish they would offer also a locking EF-mount option.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Robert, at 300 fps, and a 180 degree shutter angle, the sensor readout will approach 1 millisecond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:47 am

Robert Niessner wrote:As the sensor readout time on Gen 1 was 15.22 ms (60fps max at 4.6k) it should be 7.61 ms with Gen 2 (120fps max at 4.6k). And Gen 1 was 6.3 ms at 1080p windowed, so I guess we will get at least 3.3 ms at 1080p windowed because of the 300fps.

I posted them here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.ph ... 1986783329

4.6k - 7.59ms
4k crop - 6.32ms
2k crop - 3.16ms
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:As the sensor readout time on Gen 1 was 15.22 ms (60fps max at 4.6k) it should be 7.61 ms with Gen 2 (120fps max at 4.6k). And Gen 1 was 6.3 ms at 1080p windowed, so I guess we will get at least 3.3 ms at 1080p windowed because of the 300fps.

I posted them here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.ph ... 1986783329

4.6k - 7.59ms
4k crop - 6.32ms
2k crop - 3.16ms

That's a service - thank you!
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Colourberry

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:55 pm

I've ordered a G2 today.

I had told myself it there's a new Ursa at NAB I'll order one assuming it would have better low light. But the low light seems to not have changed at all otherwise they would have mentioned it.

But I'm ordering it purely for the 300fps. I miss the 240fps I had on the F5 but its menu system was a nightmare but sold it because of the sensor grid flares.

It will be really interesting to see which arrives first. The Pocket 4K or the G2. I bet the G2 arrives first.

I dont think there will be the rush of people the P4K has had due to the price and the G1 manufacturing has ceased I was told today. So it must be full steam ahead on the G2 manufacturing right away since they cant leave a hole in the Ursa production.

But I wont wait a year for delivery... I dont think it will be an issue this time since its basically the same camera.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 am

But no mention of low light, low noise?
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Colourberry

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 am

I think a P4K and a Ursa G2 will be a perfect combination.

P4K for low light and gimbal work.

Ursa for dynamic range and HFR.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Andreas Schwarz

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am

Wayne Steven wrote:But no mention of low light, low noise?

I dont expect a huge improvment on low light performance....but a slightly cleaner image at ISO 800 would be enough for me...

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 pm

I would have expected as significant even after 3 years.

Has anybody done in depth measurements out there yet?

rick.lang

PostFri May 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Back to the USB-3. 1 Gen 1 connection for a laugh. My Wise Dual card reader USB-3.1 Gen 2 has been performing beautifully tied to my iMac via USB-3.1 Type A. Tested with a Type A to USB-3.1 Gen 1 pigtail (speed on the box) for great transfer rates on the MacBook Pro. But the new unused Type C to Type C cable for the card reader failed to even power the reader from the MacBook: dead. Go to Best Buy and bring home their recommended best Type C to Type C: great improvement as it powered the card reader, but reader transfer speeds to the internal memory of the MacBook were just over 40MB/s! Over two hours to do a 7.5 minute task.

Returning it today and using the spare Type A to C that’s blazing. Going to a different store to find a guaranteed USB-3.1 Gen 2 Type CtoC.

Have I told you before how I hate the USB-C industry? The blame is with the USB consortium who refuses to require descriptions on the actual cable connector and the packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Emilian Dechev

PostFri May 31, 2019 9:03 pm

Anyone getting the G2 in Europe? I am waiting for more than a month now and no info from retailer...

jerrygladh

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 9:55 am

Emilian Dechev wrote:Anyone getting the G2 in Europe? I am waiting for more than a month now and no info from retailer...

Im first in line in Sweden, not a word.
Now learned not to plan jobs with new gear when BM shouts "Shipping".... :-)
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 1:25 pm

rick.lang wrote:Back to the USB-3. 1 Gen 1 connection for a laugh. My Wise Dual card reader USB-3.1 Gen 2 has been performing beautifully tied to my iMac via USB-3.1 Type A. Tested with a Type A to USB-3.1 Gen 1 pigtail (speed on the box) for great transfer rates on the MacBook Pro. But the new unused Type C to Type C cable for the card reader failed to even power the reader from the MacBook: dead... Returning it today and using the spare Type A to C that’s blazing. Going to a different store to find a guaranteed USB-3.1 Gen 2 Type CtoC...

Update, the new expensive cable with published Gen 2 specs also failed to power the Wise Dual Card Reader. Now I’m confused about what’s going on. I have to return it reluctantly but something doesn’t fit in my mind. Are these ‘bad’ cables ‘good’ on a different device or on a different computer such as a PC? The Wise Dual Card Reader is my only Gen 2 peripheral device (other than two MacBook Pro laptops) and no PCs here so I cannot debug here. The Samsung 512GB and 1TB T5 are on sale here but I’m waiting for the Wise 1TB when the BMPCC4K arrives.

Just doesn’t add up why CtoC cabales aren’t working while three CtoA are perfect. Ideas? Is this the same reason some cables may not work on the URSA Mini Pro G2 4.6K connector?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 1:59 pm

When are we going get the micro pro 4.6k g2?

I keep reading about 4.6k g2, and except fur the low light performance, and 15 stops, I want one, but I don't want a big camera.

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 2:40 pm

There’s always the newer BMPCC8K!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 4:04 pm

rick.lang wrote:There’s always the newer BMPCC8K!

But Alas Rick, people tell me that 8k is going have worse low light, low latitude, heaps of noise, overheat so much, like it could need a little fridge, or at least sound like one, and be really huge, and cost lots and lots and lots of money, and I wont be able to focus like a stills camera man because the pixels move around too much or something. Also, according to them, I won't be able to see the pixels, especially if I look straight at the sensor.

Oh, what are we to do Rick? We must be dreamers, because these people are always telling us how right they are, so surely they must know what they are talking about?

But how difficult can it be to make an 8k? I could get one of those little USB coca-cola can usb fridges, sure I could fit $8k into that, and it would hold it's resale value well.

:D

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Wayne, the Ursa Mini is not what I would call a “big” Camera. A VariCam is what I would call a big camera.
If you want a dual ISO sensor in a smaller package than the Ursa Mini, their is always the EVA1. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Next

Return to Cinematography