DNG vs. Blackmagic RAW - help

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Shivers

Re: DNG vs. Blackmagic RAW - help

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Chris Shivers wrote:Yea there’s no way for you to see the differences between CDNG and BRaw on an iPhone. On the desktop you have to zoom in 300% in order to see the difference

Well, that isn't exactly true either. I was able to see the difference at a 1:1 pixel view on my 34" 21:9 monitor, but only because I exactly knew what to look for and at a short viewing distance, like a meter away.

Yea but even then it’s not a big difference that it will pop out. I noticed a small difference but it’s nothing to dispute over.

lee4ever

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 12:20 am

spencer_moshian wrote:I watched comparison videos of BRAW and CDNG on an iPhone 8+ and could see the difference. Would be nice to have BRAW eventually meet the level of resolution and clarity the CDNG has.

I see the difference, too. Some users find it hard to admit that DNG is better than BRAW.

John Paines

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 12:24 am

lee4ever wrote:
spencer_moshian wrote:I watched comparison videos of BRAW and CDNG on an iPhone 8+ and could see the difference. Would be nice to have BRAW eventually meet the level of resolution and clarity the CDNG has.

I see the difference, too. Some users find it hard to admit that DNG is better than BRAW.

But you **aren't** a user -- and this rest of us actually are. There's a big difference between youtube, and the claims of youtubbers, and the reality of shooting material and looking at it. It also helps to understand the grading process, as well as basic shooting principles. Because images look different on youtube doesn't mean that braw, CNDG, Prores, h.265 etc., is the reason.

youlikeny

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 12:57 am

lee4ever wrote:

Here is the thing... It's impossible to notice the difference between DNG and BRAW on a youtube video on a phone... Simple as that...
Previous

Return to Cinematography