6.2 with Viltrox (2.3)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rrrbbb

6.2 with Viltrox (2.3)

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 pm

This might be helpful for someone.

I've just downgraded my Viltrox ef-m2 to 2.3 firmware and it is giving me aperture control and stabilisation is also working with Canon 16-34 F4 L.

:P

Rrrbbb

Re: 6.2 with Viltrox (2.3)

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 10:00 am

Aperture and stabilisation are also working with 24-105 L f4 (v1). Great news!

Boardpig

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 9:41 am

Can I ask how did you downgrade the FW.

I copied the 2.3 to the device after updating to 3.3 and file just sits there. No reboot etc. Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers.

Rrrbbb

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 9:31 pm

I just copied the 2.3 file on from my Mac and it automatically munmounted and remounted. The file was then gone and everything started working.

The 70-200 also has working aperture and stabslisation.

vermot

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Hello, nothing related to the software of the Viltrox but I was wondering if yours is a bit loose? when i attach a lens it jiggles a little bit :(

lcollazo23

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 1:28 am

vermot wrote:Hello, nothing related to the software of the Viltrox but I was wondering if yours is a bit loose? when i attach a lens it jiggles a little bit :(

Yes it is. I think its "normal".

Rrrbbb

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:00 am

I have the plate that attaches it to the small rig half cage, so no movement at all. It’s a tiny bit loose without that.

Dopeytree

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Confirmed working now!

So what you do is download this v2.3: http://www.viltrox.com//en/uploads/2018 ... 237965.zip
- plug in usb cable to pc
- copy the .vtx file to the drive that shows up
- turn on the camera with adapter several times it should do the update.
- try the aperture settings.
- if it doesn't work first time try removing the lens and putting back on
- smile your camera is working again 8-)
Last edited by Dopeytree on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jernej Rozenberger

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Am I the only one with a Pocket 4k that is not satisfied with the viltrox adapter ?... as in it is too soft for my taste. Sigma 18-35 art feels like an old russian lens from the 60s. I don't even wanna see how soft the picture would be when cropped in 120fps.

I'm searching for a Canon EF-MFT adapter with aperture controll withouth any glass in it now, to make justice for my sigma. If anyone has any reasonable priced adapters that work tell me about it.

Dopeytree

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Jernej Rozenberger wrote:Am I the only one with a Pocket 4k that is not satisfied with the viltrox adapter ?... as in it is too soft for my taste. Sigma 18-35 art feels like an old russian lens from the 60s. I don't even wanna see how soft the picture would be when cropped in 120fps.

I'm searching for a Canon EF-MFT adapter with aperture controll withouth any glass in it now, to make justice for my sigma. If anyone has any reasonable priced adapters that work tell me about it.

Have you tried adjusting the lens in the adapter? some need turning a little

Rrrbbb

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Jernej Rozenberger wrote:Am I the only one with a Pocket 4k that is not satisfied with the viltrox adapter ?... as in it is too soft for my taste. Sigma 18-35 art feels like an old russian lens from the 60s. I don't even wanna see how soft the picture would be when cropped in 120fps.

With f4 lenses it’s great. With 1.8 it’s really bad. Close your lens down or but a different adapter it seems. Viltrox make one without glass too.

Jernej Rozenberger

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Dopeytree wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the lens in the adapter? some need turning a little

Yup, did all the screwing around possible. Image is still soft even at f8.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Viltrox has just released an update 3.3 which fixes the problem:

Update as follows:
1. Fixed the BUG which cannot control the aperture in BMPCC 4K.

Viltrox firmware 3.3
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Denis Ravbar

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Mine doesn't work. I have 24-105 f3,5 -5,6 and it doesn't work. If I update Viltrox to 3.3 aperture works, IS and focus does not. Even manual focus doesn't work. But the lens works on Production 4K. Or any other native EF mount.
I also tired it with an old 80-200 f4,5 - 5,6 (I mean it's really old, like 30 years, made of cheap plastic) and focus works. Weird right?
Both are Canon lenses.

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Just wanted to add that I personally found the Viltrox EF-M1 to be problematic overall. The Commlite adapter was much better build quality to me, as well it doesn’t have as much glaring issues. I don’t really want to knock the Viltrox, but from day 1 either the Aperture didn’t respond correctly or I’d have to detach and reattach it. I wish Blackmagic would have made their own adapters for EF lenses at the very least since EF is pretty widely used.

Dune00z

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 3:45 pm

I hate to sound like a jerk about this, but Viltrox is not a reliable, cheap replacement for other more reliable yet more expensive brands. I keep seeing people complain about these adapters while at the same time applaud them because they are so cheap. Its better to get reliable than cheap and unreliable. I honestly think if you are getting adapters, you need to get the reliable ones with better QA and more reliable software if you plan to use them for work.

I tried Viltrox adapters for a number of systems (Fuji, Sony, M43) and each one has its own problems, mostly in random communication problems for the lens, as if the software is never fully tested for each function of the lenses. None of my lenses worked 100 percent properly with the cameras I tried them on, each with its own issues. If OS worked on lenses, IBIS didn't work on non-IS lenses. If AF worked, aperture control didn't work. EXIF data all over the place. I do not think Viltrox is a very reliable company when it comes to these adapters. Maybe they will keep working at it and eventually they could win my approval, but definitely not right now, especially when I use the exact models of lens/camera combos that are supposedly approved but do not work at all.

Sigma MC-11, Metabones, and the surprisingly good Fringer adapter I have are the only ones I trust at all with anything, even "for-fun" shooting. The Fringer has no right to be as good as it is, but it works really well compared to the Viltrox especially, but I use that mainly for fun on my Fuji XH1 so can't speak to a professional use with it.

The optics in Viltrox focal reducers very much degrade the image quality compared to Metabones. The QA for these optics is the main issue as sometimes somebody will get a good one and tout it as just as good, but more often than not the IQ degradation is instantly obvious without even a side by side.
Whether or not you personally care is a different matter. People told me years ago that Mitakon, Roxsen, brandless, etc. were just as good as Metabones and no they are not and its not even close, and Viltrox is no different. I am not sponsored by Metabones, and want cheap alternatives as much as everybody else, but right now they make the best optics for focal reducers and they are worth the price if you really want a good/reliable one.

The only adapters that I have found to be reliable enough for production use are either dumb adapters with dumb lenses (and even then the mounts are questionable on many cheap brands), the Sigma MC-11's, and Metabones.

Even Metabones is slow on updates for certain cameras and bugs exist, however I know that my lenses work when their updates say so. Metabones still hasn't put in a real update for the Pocket 4K, however it is far more reliable than the competition even in its current state (sluggy AF, improper EXIF), whereas the competition claims full functionality etc. with about a hundred asterisk marks.

Buy RELIABLE tools, not cheap ones.

NBHenrist

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to downgrade the firmware of my Viltrox M2 but their website has been down for severals days now.

Would somebody have the 2.3 Firmware file and could send it over to me?

Thanks in advance!

NHB

Robert Niessner

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Website seems to be working for me.
Here is the direct download link:
http://www.viltrox.com//en/uploads/2018 ... 121293.zip
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Shaoyan

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Stephen Fitzgerald wrote:Just wanted to add that I personally found the Viltrox EF-M1 to be problematic overall. The Commlite adapter was much better build quality to me, as well it doesn’t have as much glaring issues. I don’t really want to knock the Viltrox, but from day 1 either the Aperture didn’t respond correctly or I’d have to detach and reattach it. I wish Blackmagic would have made their own adapters for EF lenses at the very least since EF is pretty widely used.

Hi would you mind commenting on what type of function it supports and does not support:

1. AF
2, Aperture control
3. Image stabilization

thanks

Rrrbbb

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 pm

I have the EF-M2.

Stabilisation works with all lenses.
Iris works with all lenses.
Auto focus does not work (would never use it so don't mind).

*All my lenses at Canon L.

n1snibb

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 5:02 am

Ok - I have PULLED MY HAIR OUT ON THIS ONE... I will never get these hours of life back. That said, I just wanted to let future people know that BlackMagic Pocket 4K running 6.8 using a Viltrox EF-M2II .71x adapter works with a Canon 24-105 1:4 L IS.

Image Stabilization: Yes!
Iris: Yes!
Auto Focus: No :( But mostly expected.

You CANNOT be running Viltrox code newer than 2.3. I tried everything after that, up to 3.4, and none of them worked with this lens. And yes, that makes no sense. :roll:

Hope this helps someone,
Bill Bushong

bozduke13

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 12:43 am

Does anyone have the 2.3 firmware? Viltrox took it off the site :x :cry:

Robert Niessner

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm

bozduke13 wrote:Does anyone have the 2.3 firmware? Viltrox took it off the site :x :cry:

The direct link I posted does still work:
viewtopic.php?p=517648#p517648
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Thomas Prettyman

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 2:23 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
bozduke13 wrote:Does anyone have the 2.3 firmware? Viltrox took it off the site :x :cry:

Mate I just made an account to thank you for posting this direct link. I have been trying to find this firmware for a week when my Viltrox suddenly stopped working.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Thomas Prettyman wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:

Mate I just made an account to thank you for posting this direct link. I have been trying to find this firmware for a week when my Viltrox suddenly stopped working.

My pleasure :)
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

reyessuzette

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 7:00 am

We tried to re install the 2.3 update to see if it would work again but it did not. What else can we do to get it working again? Do you have suggestions?

bernanowitz

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 11:25 am

Hallo,

I had the same Problem with the BMPCC 4K, tried to downgrade to 2.3 but didn't work. Yesterday I saw a new Firmware 3.5 to download as a rar-file. I tried today and could set the aperture with my two Canon Lenses 85/1.8 and 70-200/4 IS. The Iris is working fine. Tried again 2.3 without success to the Iris and AF, so I came back to 3.5 and Iris worked again.

Autofokus still doesn't work.

I have the Firmware 6.96 on the BMPCC4K (This is what you get when you update 7.2).

I can't believe that the IS is working, because on my Canon EOS I get some working Noise with the 70-200 which I don't get on the BMPCC, that's why I don't think IS is working. The IS of the 70-200/4 ist only working for some seconds on my Canon EOS if I press the release button half the way down so I think it's not made for continuous use in making movies.

bozduke13

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 11:32 pm

Hey guys my BMPCC4k is on the 6.9.5 firmware and I cannot get image stabilization to work. I've tried every firmware out there (ALL OF THE FIRMWARES ARE IN THE GOOGLE DRIVE LINK BELOW). The two best firmwares are 2.3 and 3.5. - Firmware 2.3 works flawlessly Except you have to take the lens off and put it back on every time you start the camera (but IS works). - Firmware 3.5 works flawlessly EXCEPT that the image stabilization on my canon lense does not work (it does not get passed through the adapter to the camera). If anyone has a solution please let me know. Is there a way to downgrade your BMPCC4k firmware because it sounds like everything worked on 6.2.

Google Drive Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 5:57 pm

bozduke13 wrote:Hey guys my BMPCC4k is on the 6.9.5 firmware and I cannot get image stabilization to work. I've tried every firmware out there (ALL OF THE FIRMWARES ARE IN THE GOOGLE DRIVE LINK BELOW). The two best firmwares are 2.3 and 3.5. - Firmware 2.3 works flawlessly Except you have to take the lens off and put it back on every time you start the camera (but IS works). - Firmware 3.5 works flawlessly EXCEPT that the image stabilization on my canon lense does not work (it does not get passed through the adapter to the camera). If anyone has a solution please let me know. Is there a way to downgrade your BMPCC4k firmware because it sounds like everything worked on 6.2.

Depending on which PCC4k model you got (version 1 or 2 touch screen)
you can either downgrade to 6.2 (screen version 1)
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... 5e/Windows

or downgrade to 6.2.1 (screen version 2)
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... 99/Windows

You have to uninstall any newer Blackmagic camera update from your computer and install the older version.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Return to Cinematography