BMPCC4K Impressions, discussions, and feedback thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

BMPCC4K Impressions, discussions, and feedback thread

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Was trying to find a similar thread title to throw this in. If there is, maybe the mods can throw this in. Otherwise, people can post their thoughts and feedback for the camera here I guess.

This is coming from a user of the original Pocket. I'm more of a one man band kinda guy who makes short films as a hobby, and slowly getting into more videographer work. And so far, I've very impressed and happy with the camera. Though I'm disappointed with how big it is, the functions I get for the price is awesome. I love that I can finally properly white balance a shot. I love having dedicated buttons to switch things off, and LUTS and Focus Peaking. Low light filming with the Duel IOS is such a win for low budget work, allowing 2.8 lenses to be used more indoors and outdoors under low light. And getting proper sound through the mini XLR port just saves time, so I don't need to sync in post.

Sure the battery life sucks, but at least it's easier to swap batteries now with the improved battery door. For the original pocket, you had to take the camera off the tripod, or sometimes take off the tripod shoe itself, just to open the door and get the battery out. This isn't an issue with the new one. It's the right distance to open and swap batteries, without taking it off the tripod. Though I wish they added a cable hold in the hatch for dummy batteries, at least you can remove the battery door. For the original, you couldn't without breaking it off.

The only real issue I have with the camera is that the screen doesn't rotate. It's just feels terrible that I got this giant screen, and yet I can't move it. Like what's the point of having a screen this big screen, if I can't adjust it to a better viewing angle? Sure I can get an external monitor, but I feel I shouldn't have to if you're offering a screen like this. Like if I was only going to use it for menu controls, then I'd prefer a smaller screen, and more function buttons. It doesn't help matters that they added a selfy button, and yet you can't see yourself without an external monitor. External monitors also add more bulk to the rig. It's another thing that needs to be powered, with more batteries you gotta charge, etc. Either way, if the screen rotated, this camera would be nearly perfect for me. And if they do ever release one with a rotating screen, I'll probably trade this one for that one.

The camera also feels very bulky, and oversized. If they make another version, I'd prefer they make it slightly smaller and more comfortable. Also wish they added an anti-twist hole at the bottom. Already dealing with twist issues right now.

One concern I have is the audio settings. Though it's great that they're customizable, I can imagine some accidents happening. There's no auto settings when certain things get taken out or put in. For example, unless you go into the settings and tell it to use the XLR mic, it's not gonna use it despite plugged in. And if you unplugged the XLR mic, it's not gonna auto switch to the onboard mic. It's not even gonna switch in and out when you plug in a 3.5mm mic. Which opens the door to accidentally recording footage without sound, or recording the wrong sounds from the wrong mics. And the 3.5mm mics seem to be locked to 50%. As of Firmware 6.2, I can't move them. This is something I hope they can patch later in a firmware. (EDIT: figured it out. Needed it to be set for Mic).

Another feature I'd want changed is more colour options with the focus peaking. I'd also want auto White-Balance, aka white balancing on the go. This is mainly for those vlogging or recording documentary footage of a moving subject going in and out of different locations without stopping. I also wish you could see your photos in the camera roll. I don't like that when I charge the battery with the camera, it does not tell me if the battery is fully charged or not.

That's all I can think of right now from the 4 days I've gotten to play around with it.
Last edited by Chris Chiasson on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Craig Sawyer

Re: BMPCC4K Impressions and feedback

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 6:49 pm

One concern I have is the audio settings. Though it's great that they're customizable, I can imagine some accidents happening. There's no auto settings when certain things get taken out or put in. For example, unless you go into the settings and tell it to use the XLR mic, it's not gonna use it despite plugged in. And if you unplugged the XLR mic, it's not gonna auto switch to the onboard mic. It's not even gonna switch in and out when you plug in a 3.5mm mic. Which opens the door to accidentally recording footage without sound, or recording the wrong sounds from the wrong mics. And the 3.5mm mics seem to be locked to 50%. As of Firmware 6.2, I can't move them. This is something I hope they can patch later in a firmware.

Pretty much everything here discussed excessively in other posts over the last few months. In relation to your concern over audio not automatically detecting what you have plugged in - I don’t know what other cameras you shoot on, but I have yet to own a Pro camera that will do this, and I wouldn’t it to - as operator I want to chose my audio options.
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Craig Sawyer wrote:
One concern I have is the audio settings. Though it's great that they're customizable, I can imagine some accidents happening. There's no auto settings when certain things get taken out or put in. For example, unless you go into the settings and tell it to use the XLR mic, it's not gonna use it despite plugged in. And if you unplugged the XLR mic, it's not gonna auto switch to the onboard mic. It's not even gonna switch in and out when you plug in a 3.5mm mic. Which opens the door to accidentally recording footage without sound, or recording the wrong sounds from the wrong mics. And the 3.5mm mics seem to be locked to 50%. As of Firmware 6.2, I can't move them. This is something I hope they can patch later in a firmware.

Pretty much everything here discussed excessively in other posts over the last few months. In relation to your concern over audio not automatically detecting what you have plugged in - I don’t know what other cameras you shoot on, but I have yet to own a Pro camera that will do this, and I wouldn’t it to - as operator I want to chose my audio options.

Shrugs. I'm more from DSLR generation. And most cameras, like say the GH5s, will switch from 3.5 to onboard when unplugging and replugging. This doesn't take away control from the user though. The point is more to prevent accidents that happen with small to no crews. I can't imagine a professional plugging in an XLR mic, and NOT wanting any the audio from it to be captured, and instead of want only audio going to the on board mic, because the XLR mic being plugged in looks cool. This is why I'd want an "auto mic detect" feature implemented. Also most pros just have a dedicated audio recordist with a recorder anyways, so it doesn't surprise me if a "pro" camera doesn't have it. But this camera is aimed for the independent market. Thus I'm bringing it up.
Last edited by Chris Chiasson on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Craig Sawyer

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Many scenarios when I’ll want to manually select the audio feed irrelevant of what’s physically plugged in with our cams, but I get your point in respect to the BMPPC4K - generally if you plug something in you’ll want it to be primary, although if you are monitoring audio you won’t have accidents :)
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Craig Sawyer wrote:Many scenarios when I’ll want to manually select the audio feed irrelevant of what’s physically plugged in with our cams, but I get your point in respect to the BMPPC4K - generally if you plug something in you’ll want it to be primary, although if you are monitoring audio you won’t have accidents :)

Again, accidents happen. Especially for low budget shoots. I can see a rushed scene happening where you're switching between different audio sources during the shoot, and then you assumed you got the audio from the XLR, but instead you got it from the onboard mic. Or how updating the camera resets the settings, and you forget to switch everything to the XLR with phantom power, and everything is going to the onboard. You think the audio isn't the best, then discover everything is still set to onboard, etc. That's why I'd want the feature to prevent accidents.

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC4K Impressions, discussions, and feedback thread

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 pm

No, he should have got a GH5S! Then he has the “Video” specific sensor, tilting screen, auto detect audio and option for XLR — all at X2 the cost of a Pocket 4K. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Australian Image wrote:This is the difference from moving from a DSLR to a cine camera, you have to start thinking and working differently. It's not a DSLR and was never meant to be one.

I came from a DSLR/mirrorless background into video and I consciously chose the BMPCC4k, over the likes of a GH5, because it wasn't anything like a DSLR and I wanted to start afresh.

Sadly, we've heard this all before from vloggers. It kind of sounds like you chose the wrong camera and should have bought a GH5.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. One of the reasons I got the original Pocket was because I was tired of using a camera that primary was designed to be a photo camera, with video features as a secondary bonus. But I think you're confusing the desires of a major production professional, vs a videographer, vlogger, YouTuber, etc. Because we're all gonna be using this camera eitherway.

Denny Smith wrote:No, he should have got a GH5S! Then he has the “Video” specific sensor, tilting screen, auto detect audio and option for XLR — all at X2 the cost of a Pocket 4K. :roll:
Cheers

Exactly. GH5s is about $3000 CAD plus tax, plus $499 for the XLR adapter. I might want a tilt screen, but an extra $2000 more? Thus, why I went with the BMPCC4K instead.

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Chris Chiasson wrote:Eh, I wouldn't say that. One of the reasons I got the original Pocket was because I was tired of using a camera that primary was designed to be a photo camera, with video features as a secondary bonus. But I think you're confusing the desires of a major production professional, vs a videographer, vlogger, YouTuber, etc. Because we're all gonna be using this camera eitherway.

The GH5 and GH5s are really designed as video cameras with photography thrown in as a bonus. Videographers (you don't have to be a major production professional) and vloggers (YouTubers) are two different beasts and the last thing the former needs is a vlogging camera.

You say that you're '...tired of using a camera that primary was designed to be a photo camera...', yet that's the sort of camera that you seem to be after. You should have bought a GH5.

Why would you say that because I want a tilt screen and audio auto select? It just seems you're jumping the gun a bit. Are you saying if the BMPCC4K had a tilt screen, you'd say "Screw this. I'm getting a Red. They ruined a perfect camera"? I just don't understand the logic of assuming anyone who wants certain features shouldn't request them, or shouldn't have a certain camera. Like I understand wrong camera for the wrong job. But if we all thought that way, then we'd never see a TV show being filmed on an iPhone right now like "High Flying Bird". Because the iPhone was never meant to film a TV show. lol

But anyways, if you don't agree with the suggested feedback and concerns, then what would you want changed about the current BMPCC4k? What would be things you'd want added or fixed?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Chris Chiasson wrote:... And the 3.5mm mics seem to be locked to 50%. As of Firmware 6.2, I can't move them. ...

When a Pocket 4K cam's audio input is set to LINE level, such as "3.5mm Right - Line", "XLR - Line", etc., the input level is locked at 50%. This is normal, as line level inputs are not typically a settable option on most cameras & audio gear. Adjust the output level of your audio LINE source accordingly.

When a Pocket 4K cam's audio input is set to MIC level, such as "3.5 Left - Mic", or "XLR Mic", the camera's input levels can be adjusted. Most but not all cameras & audio gear have settable mic level inputs.
-

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Chris Chiasson wrote:... And the 3.5mm mics seem to be locked to 50%. As of Firmware 6.2, I can't move them. ...

When a Pocket 4K cam's audio input is set to LINE level, such as "3.5mm Right - Line", "XLR - Line", etc., the input level is locked at 50%. This is normal, as line level inputs are not typically a settable option on most cameras & audio gear. Adjust the output level of your audio LINE source accordingly.

When a Pocket 4K cam's audio input is set to MIC level, such as "3.5 Left - Mic", or "XLR Mic", the camera's input levels can be adjusted. Most but not all cameras & audio gear have settable mic level inputs.
-

Ah, I missed that. Figured Line had something to do with it, but I missed the 3.5 “Mic” when I was last checking. Though it was just Line and Mono for 3.5mm when going through the settings.

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Chris Chiasson wrote:Why would you say that because I want a tilt screen and audio auto select? It just seems you're jumping the gun a bit. Are you saying if the BMPCC4K had a tilt screen, you'd say "Screw this. I'm getting a Red. They ruined a perfect camera"? I just don't understand the logic of assuming anyone who wants certain features shouldn't request them, or shouldn't have a certain camera. Like I understand wrong camera for the wrong job. But if we all thought that way, then we'd never see a TV show being filmed on an iPhone right now like "High Flying Bird". Because the iPhone was never meant to film a TV show. lol

But anyways, if you don't agree with the suggested feedback and concerns, then what would you want changed about the current BMPCC4k? What would be things you'd want added or fixed?

It seems that vloggers are the only ones worked up by the lack of a tilt/swivel screen, videographers seem to cope quite well, even those who use the BMPCC4K on a gimbal. They also cope well with the audio requirements.

If you want features that are not provided in a particular camera, get a different camera. Your complaints started the moment that the BMPCC4K was revealed and increased when vloggers got them in their hands to review.

You don't hear these complaints from actual videographers. The camera wasn't targeted towards vloggers, but videographers, those who wanted a full featured cine camera at a more modest price.

If Blackmagic had provided all the features that vloggers complained were lacking, it would have been a US$3000+ camera and then they would have complained that it was too expensive compared to DSLRs.

You chose the wrong camera.

Again, do you think the Blackmagic Pocket 4K is perfect the way it is and don’t think another version should ever arrive? That there’s nothing to be improved on? In that case, we’d never see new version of the Ursa Mini that has just arrived.

I on the other hand think the camera is fine outside the lack of a tilt screen. The low light abilities along I can argue justifies a lot.

Now if you have your own suggestions and concerns, please make them. That’s the point of this thread.

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Chris Chiasson wrote:Again, do you think the Blackmagic Pocket 4K is perfect the way it is and don’t think another version should ever arrive? In that case, we’d never see new version of the Ursa Mini that has just arrived.

Is any camera perfect? No. Do I worry about such things? No. Do I appreciate strengths? Yes. Do I work around weaknesses? Yes. I have different issues with audio, but I've worked around those issues and things work fine.

Your complaints about size and bulk, lack of swivel screen, lack of continuous WB, no auto audio settings, battery etc, seem to indicate that you didn't try to understand the specs before buying or watched 'reviews'. And you've had the camera for just 'four' days. How about returning after four months of use.

So what are your concerns and suggestions for the camera? Because the best way Blackmagic learns is by reading and watching feedback. By not posting your thoughts, BMD don’t gain anything. So instead of dismissing my thoughts, why don’t you post yours?

And saying I can’t post my thoughts unless I have 4 months of use sounds very elitist. I’m just putting that out there.
Last edited by Chris Chiasson on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Cinematography