SLR Magic lenses and BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

vermot

SLR Magic lenses and BMPCC4K

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Hello everyone, I am the proud owner of a BMPCC4K since a week now and I could not be happier or maybe I could :D

ATM I use this combination: Viltrox EF M2, Pentacon Vintage lenses (29mm and 50mm), and SLR Magic Anamorphot 1.33x 40 COMPACT.

aaaand I have to admit that I am pretty disapointed in the build quality of the Viltrox, and the Pentacon lenses which I did not expected to be THAT good for video since they are vintage lenses and they don't really fulfill my needs since they are not so great to be used with the anamorphot.

All that leads to me looking for a new lens, and I have always been interested in SLR Magic CINE lenses and more particularly in the Hyper Prime CINE series.

Has anyone used them, or any other Cine lens from SLR Magic that could give me a feedback?

Thanks a lot

Denny Smith

Re: SLR Magic lenses and BMPCC4K

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 pm

The Hyperprimes are good, but soft wide open, which gives a vintage look, they are rehoused still lenses and extend when ficusing, and physical size is not matched. The 10 and 12mm are excellent wide, the 10mm being better IQ, however they may vignette on the PC4K in full gate 4K DCS setting.

A better SLR Magic solution, is their new MicroPrime, which are true Cine type lenses, as are the Veydra Mini Primes ( but hard to find). The Microprimes have a larger image circle, so no vignetting, physical size is matched for faster lens changes, and focus is internal, so they should work with a matte box nicely. Currently, only the 12mm and 18mm have been released for MFT mount so far, and 25mm and 35mm have been released in E mount, so should be coming in MFT soon.

If I was building a new set for MFT (I had a Veydra set, but sold them before the new Pocket was announced) I would be looking at the SLR MicroPrimes.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

vermot

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello Denny, thanks for your reply and advices!

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Also, Meike Cine lenses look promising, they seem to be Veydra Mini Cine lenses, re-branded, and match the Veydras physically (77/80mm feints) and optically. Meike has only released a 25mm so far, and perhaps a 35mm is coming next? SLR Magic MircroPrimes has 82/85mm fronts, so one would have to add 77/82 matte box rings to bump up the Meikes to match the Microprimes in a mixed set. The Meike is inexpensive enough to use until SLR Magic releases a 25 and 35mm MFT MicroPrime.

It would be interesting to see how they optically match IQ wise, and could be intercut. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Fran Tormo

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 7:17 pm

We bought the bmpcc4k and use the SLR Magic APO Hyperprimmes kit that we use with the UMP
We got the EF adapter on. the APOs and a speedbooster on the bmpcc4k, so no need for MFT lens
It is not a cheap combination, but it is future proof no mater wich camera or sensor we’ll get

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 1:39 am

Nice, the APO Primes are a Great lens kit. You could always get the mbew SLR MicroPrime 18mm to fill in the wide side, with a native MFT lens. I am considering getting one for that reason.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nizg78

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 am

Denny Smith wrote:Also, Meike Cine lenses look promising, they seem to be Veydra Mini Cine lenses, re-branded, and match the Veydras physically (77/80mm feints) and optically. Meike has only released a 25mm so far, and perhaps a 35mm is coming next? SLR Magic MircroPrimes has 82/85mm fronts, so one would have to add 77/82 matte box rings to bump up the Meikes to match the Microprimes in a mixed set. The Meike is inexpensive enough to use until SLR Magic releases a 25 and 35mm MFT MicroPrime.

It would be interesting to see how they optically match IQ wise, and could be intercut. :roll:
Cheers

Hello Danny. I have just ordered Meike 25mm T2.2 and 16mm T2.2. I could have them on hand this Wednesady (though my BMPCC4K hasn't arrived). Meike says these are manual focus lenses with optical stablizer? I don't know, will find out.

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 8:05 pm

B&H Photo does not describe the Meike cine lenses for mFT as optically stabilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

joe12south

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 9:08 pm

nizg78 wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Also, Meike Cine lenses look promising, they seem to be Veydra Mini Cine lenses, re-branded, and match the Veydras physically (77/80mm feints) and optically. Meike has only released a 25mm so far, and perhaps a 35mm is coming next? SLR Magic MircroPrimes has 82/85mm fronts, so one would have to add 77/82 matte box rings to bump up the Meikes to match the Microprimes in a mixed set. The Meike is inexpensive enough to use until SLR Magic releases a 25 and 35mm MFT MicroPrime.

Cheers

Hello Danny. I have just ordered Meike 25mm T2.2 and 16mm T2.2. I could have them on hand this Wednesady (though my BMPCC4K hasn't arrived). Meike says these are manual focus lenses with optical stablizer? I don't know, will find out.

I have both Meike lenses. They are completely manual cine-style, with no stabilization.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Cheers

The Meike 16mm just released. (Mine arrived today.) So, 16mm and 25mm right now. 35mm is supposed to release "very soon", but note that they were about 2 months behind on the 16mm. After that, we have a 50mm and an 85mm coming later this year.

joe12south

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 9:18 pm

Same physical size
Same filter size
Gears placed identically
Similar weight: 1lb 4oz / 1lb 3oz
Nice long, smooth focus throw

My guess is you could swap them on a gimbal with no adjustment.

I haven't had a chance to test the 16 yet, but here are my thoughts on the 25: http://www.pocketluts.com/meike-25mm-t2 ... ra-reborn/

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Yes, that Joe is the whole idea with matched cine lens sets, physically matched, and similar optical quality matched, so you can switch lenses whithout chaning any part of the setup, save the lens.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 2:17 am

Those Meike lenses as a complete set seem to be something worth waiting for. I guess they’ll sell a lot of these to BMPCC4K shooters if the other ones match the quality of the 25mm.

BTW, the massive blue blooming on the logo in that test doesn’t look like CA to me, rather a problem with sensor overexposure by a very sharp lens and the highlight. The chart test shows quite acceptable CA.

IMHO, these are lenses with very well balanced optical properties, but a ‘modern’ look, as already stated. If you are into vintage flares, add some old Russian lenses or the like.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

joe12south

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, that Joe is the whole idea with matched cine lens sets, physically matched, and similar optical quality matched, so you can switch lenses whithout chaning any part of the setup, save the lens.
Cheers

Of course that is the idea, but with cheap Chinese gear, you never know until you know. ;-)

joe12south

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Started testing the Meike 16mm T2.2 this morning: https://www.facebook.com/pg/pocketluts/ ... 2260538135

Looking good so far. Less CA than the 25mm.

joe12south

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Uli Plank wrote:BTW, the massive blue blooming on the logo in that test doesn’t look like CA to me, rather a problem with sensor overexposure by a very sharp lens and the highlight. The chart test shows quite acceptable CA.

It's definitely CA from the lens. I've been shooting with this lens for months now, and can reliably predict when it will appear. It's generally easy enough to mitigate in Resolve, but happens more often than I would like. In initial tests, the 16mm suffers from it to a much lesser degree.

joe12south

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Focus breathing and bokeh on the Meike 16mm T2.2:

These lenses are really a treat for $350.

The 35mm is supposed to release "very soon", with a 50mm and 85mm later in the year. (I've heard a rumor of a 12mm, but my contact at Meike hasn't confirmed.)

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 pm

Joe, how were you changing focus? A manual twist of the gears, a manual follow focus or motorized follow focus? Was the camera locked down? Was the lens held in place by a Support?

I feel I’m seeing some movement but hard to know if it’s due to the lens or operational factors. Certainly looks quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography