GLITCHES/ Massiv Update Problems

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AlexKasses

GLITCHES/ Massiv Update Problems

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi guys.

does anyone of you had massive glitches in the pic?? i did the new update for bmcp 4k and shoot a lot today with braw 5:1 on a sd 300/mbs card, so no plroblem at all. now on my mac book pro with the braw player or even in davinci (15.3) it shows massiv glitches all over the video, its a disaster ! What can i do ? Any help ? THANKS !!!
www.alexkasses.com

michaeldhead

Re: GLITCHES/ Massiv Update Problems

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 4:05 pm

What do you mean "glitches"? Can you post screenshots?
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Dune00z

Re: GLITCHES/ Massiv Update Problems

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 6:21 pm

AlexKasses wrote:Hi guys.

does anyone of you had massive glitches in the pic?? i did the new update for bmcp 4k and shoot a lot today with braw 5:1 on a sd 300/mbs card, so no plroblem at all. now on my mac book pro with the braw player or even in davinci (15.3) it shows massiv glitches all over the video, its a disaster ! What can i do ? Any help ? THANKS !!!

OK I want to make sure that I get this straight.

You shot 4K footage, at 5:1 compression, with a "300mbs" SD card. What is the V rating on this SD card? There are zero SD cards with a sustained minimum write speed of 300/MBS.

What I am assuming, without knowing all of the facts from you but just based on what I am seeing here, is that you shot with a card like a Sandisk extreme pro, that likely had a V rating of 30, and did not turn on the option to stop recording if you got dropped frames.

So you recorded in 5:1 not knowing you had dropped frames due to the SD card not being able to sustain the write speed required for 5:1 BRAW. What you got was a ton of dropped frames.

I am almost 100 percent sure that you shot 5:1 compressed braw on a card unable to write it. To my knowledge, only SD cards with a V90 rating will be able to assuredly sustain the 5:1 compression of BRAW.

I suggest you try 12:1 instead and see what happens. Also, you should turn on the option to stop recording when there are dropped frames in order to prevent this issue, if this is indeed the problem, for future recordings.

If this is not the case, please provide all relevant details including which resolution you shot, what specific card, etc. if you would like us to be more helpful.

Return to Cinematography