Pocket 4K battery grip?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mattias Kristiansson

Pocket 4K battery grip?

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Has anyone seen or heard any rumors of battery grips for the Pocket 4K, like the battery grips available for a lot of DSLR cameras? I would probably buy one right away if it was available.

Denny Smith

Re: Pocket 4K battery grip?

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Likely not, as the Picket 4K Camera does not have a set of interface contacts on the bottom of the camera, as DSLR have. Best bet will be a an add on battery about the same size as the camera, that attached to the 1/4x20 and has a battery cable to the camera input. So far none announced that I have seen.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Brawley

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Mattias Kristiansson wrote:Has anyone seen or heard any rumors of battery grips for the Pocket 4K, like the battery grips available for a lot of DSLR cameras? I would probably buy one right away if it was available.

I would love someone to make this.

Two canon batteries, some accessory power outs.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

joe12south

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 7:12 pm

My dream specs:
- Form-fitting to bottom of camera
- 1/4" 20 receivers on bottom and both sides
- Integrated, regulated dummy battery (remove camera door, snap in)
- NP-F7x battery (death to LP-E6!!!)
- 2 USB
- 1 lemo
- Battery life indicator
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joet444

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 9:48 am

Doesn't the Core SWX PowerBase-Edge tick most of your boxes? I don't seem to be able to post a URL unfortunately.

Swissified

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Exactly it looks butt-ugly.

joe12south

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Australian Image wrote:That's not quite a form-fitting battery grip:

That's pretty much the opposite of form fitting. ;)

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 am

I own the original Powerbase they made for the Blackmagic 2.5k, and I can testify that it’s not idea for handheld. Make it very heavy, and adds more weight to the tripod head. Had a better experience just stuffing the battery into my pocket (coil power cable to the battery), and hook it to the tripod leg using a release plate. Not the best setup, but doable till I get a better rig put together.

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 6:45 pm

No and no. You can not power the camera via USB/C, only charge the camera battery when the camera is lowered off. You can only use USB/C to charge or record to a SSD, not download data from the camera. Footage can only be transferred to a computer using a SD or CFast card reader, or plugging the USB/C SSD drive into the computer.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

drock1992

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 10:30 pm

One Little Goat has a pretty cool idea coming up— a battery handle:

- Holds 4 cheap lithium ion batteries
- Battery indicator
- Can run the P4K for up to 3 hours

John Morris

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 10:36 pm

I noticed a forthcoming product on youtube:

Edit: Ha beaten to the punch!

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 2:40 am

The video says it will include a 7VDC port. Should that be 7.2/7.4VDC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Colourberry

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 3:17 am

Australian Image wrote:I don't need a battery grip on the left hand side of the camera, as I balance the camera using the lens, so a grip on the left hand side would be a hindrance rather than an asset.

Being symmetrical front and back and rosette mount I dont see why it would be limited to the laft side. Should mount to the right ok I would think.

I like that its non camera specific and replaceable batteries. Means it should last many years past the life on a v-lock or a product specifically for the BMPCC4K's body shape. Being in a handle is a good use of space if needing a handle there anyhow.

Its great to see options from smaller creative companies and not just the usual suspects.

Colourberry

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 am

Australian Image wrote:As I noted, if I had the 3D design and printing wherewithal, I could easily make one of these with parts that are readily and cheaply available through eBay. The first Chinese manufacturer that comes up with a good design, at a reasonable price, will have orders flooding in.

SO your saying if you knew how to do something then you could easily do it.... I guess your right.

If I knew how to chat up Jennifer Hawkins I'd do that too but I dont so I cant..

But that grip is a very interesting idea using very powerful replaceable batterys. Whats not to like.

And hes from Melbourne like you. Me once upon a time too. As well as Blackmagic and Atomos.

Colourberry

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 am

So you see no value in this being able to be used on future pockets etc or other cameras? You only see value in it if its molded to the shape of the pocket looking like its meant to be there? Thus making any cages un usable.

Also happy to shoot down concepts by someone with a pashion for it?

For photography I had a grip for the A7S. That grip didn't fit the A7S2 and so on. Useless and had to buy a new one each time because external power solutions are not an option for photography. But these are production film cameras. It's ok to attach something to it, or not. That's why we have a cage is it not. To expand the usability.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Swissified

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:43 am

Australian Image wrote:
Colourberry wrote:First off, the video title was click bait as it tried to draw in BMPCC4K owners, but then went on to say the battery pack was just another generic brick. I already have a moulded 18650 battery case that takes six 18650 batteries and looks almost identical. I bought it off eBay for AU$18. It works well and has no trouble powering the camera, accessories or lights (it even has a USB outlet). I could get a smaller one that takes four 18650 batteries for less if I wanted.

Well said.

I already have a moulded 18650 battery case that takes six 18650 batteries and looks almost identical. I bought it off eBay for AU$18. It works well and has no trouble powering the camera, accessories or lights (it even has a USB outlet). I could get a smaller one that takes four 18650 batteries for less if I wanted.

What's the name of this? What's it look like. I like the idea of such a small unit.

Colourberry

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:58 am

A battery "grip" under the pocket won't be a grip. Unless your planning to shoot in portrait.

Swissified

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 7:19 am

Colourberry wrote:A battery "grip" under the pocket won't be a grip. Unless your planning to shoot in portrait.

In the pocket would be where I want to use an extra battery. So I don't want a grip. I don't want to stick it on or under the camera.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Ray, first of all, Phil Lemon’s Video is Not “click bait”, he did not list the video as a handgrip, but rather an alternative battery power source for the Pocket 4K. Like his later remotes, he made the battery pack multi-function, so it could be used as a side grip, on Ted on the bottom, or with additional adapters, punted on the Micro Camera with a LP p,ate or on a monitor with a NP plate. Did you even watch the entire video?

Phil has been a long time supporter of BMD Cameras, making a series of remote control units (One Little Remote) he continually refined to control the Micro Cinema and Studio Cameras via the SBus, to make these cameras more user friendly for hand held and tripod shooting. Phil does not make any money doing this, but aims more to break even with some of his products.

Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

joe12south

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Swissified wrote:What's the name of this? What's it look like. I like the idea of such a small unit.

It's one of these: http://tinyurl.com/y5bvg44a. It's only 8.4V output, but testing it with my BMPCC4K using the power inlet, it seems to work quite well. Used with a dummy battery it should perform with no issues. The mounting assembly isn't quite like the product shown in the video, but it shouldn't be too difficult to modify if you wanted to do so. The four battery version is quite a bit smaller: http://tinyurl.com/yxnqvla2.

I bought mine because I had some spare 18650 batteries and I thought I could use it, if needed, as an emergency power source for the camera or as a power source for my field monitor, as that runs quite comfortably from 7.2V. I can also use it to power LED lights and today I found that I can use it perfectly to power my slider with my DIY motor setup.

I bought a variation on this to test, and I don't think it is a very good idea. The output is not regulated and varies drastically as the batteries drain. Even though the capacity increases, the reliability/predictability is actually worse than with LP-E6s.

Colourberry

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:53 pm

I will be buying one of Phill's grips as soon as they become available.

I run a Sound Devices MixPre3, Ninja V and Gratical HD off the camera at the same time and prefer to do a battery change that powers all devices at once rather than individually as they go down. This to me is more elegant than a V-lock hanging off the back and keeps the rear of the camera clean.

drock1992

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Australian Image wrote:The product is not a battery grip as this thread is about, it's just another power brick, so perhaps should not have been posted in this thread.

That's on me, I apologize for posting an off-topic post to this thread. I just thought it was a cool battery idea— my bad.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 am

Ray, I did not say all Chinese made products are “cheap junk”, but some of the low cost monitors, cages, etc you sometimes pitch, while useable, are not that well made or engineered. Many of SmallRigs items are good, many are copies of other manufacturers, but some of their original designs are not that good, their Shoulder mounting plate, for example, it is OK, but not that well made, parts do not fit smoothly together. Please do not put words in my mouth, or jump to conclusions.

My point was, you are sometimes too quick on the trigger with your replies, and make bad assumptions. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 am

Derek, no need to apologize, adding a comment about Phill’s battery grip was not off topic. Thanks for posting it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colourberry

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 am

Australian Image wrote:

Cheap Chinese junk? Are iPhones cheap Chinese junk? Are DJI drones cheap Chinese junk? Is the BMPCC4K cheap Chinese junk? Are Lenovo laptops cheap Chinese junk? When you start throwing around Chinese made products as being cheap junk, you'd better take a closer look at what products are made in China nowadays and the quality that they can produce. Remember when Made in Japan products were considered cheap Japanese junk?

And on further thought, the video is click bait. If the power brick is intended to be used on any Blackmagic camera, or in fact any camera, then there was no need to set the title as 'Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Power Solution'. It was clearly designed to draw in BMPCC4K owners, that's called click bait.

The product is not a battery grip as this thread is about, it's just another power brick, so perhaps should not have been posted in this thread. I may be pedantic, but at least I didn't call his products cheap junk.

But my other point about his products is that if he's able to make these things, why not consider a proper conformal grip for the BMPCC4K? Out of all the Blackmagic cameras, this is the one that could use such a grip and would be very popular, given the threads in this forum and numerous comments on the interwebs. Harsh commentary on my part, yes. Hitting some home truths? Very likely.

It is 100% a battery grip. Its just not an under camera battery grip. Who would want a DSLR style grip under the P4K you can only use out of your cage and off the tripod in portrait orientation.... Yep your not argumentative at all.

This is a grip like the Ursa has a grip. Or did you not notice the finger indentations or the ability to angle it?

Australian Image wrote: It was clearly designed to draw in BMPCC4K owners, that's called click bait.

Clearly designed to help BM users.
Its great to have posts like that show up here so that we can find out it exists. The P4K has a need for a power solution and the more options the better and Phill's solution looks excellent and very strong.

As for your made in china comments referring to Apple and Lenovo etc. You do realize the difference between Apple closely scrutinizing production and then whatever camera accessory opportunist pops up in china next. Your lucky if it comes in bubble wrap. Often just in a box wrapped in newspaper. At least Phill is passionate about BM products and having a go and thats worth supporting or at the very least not saying anything..

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 am

OK, we are done here, and I am withdrawing my comments on Chinese mdse, and you. I do not wish to get into an argument with you.

Good luck and good by!
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colourberry

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 2:26 am

Are you seriously using a dictaphone to record audio for your camera?

You would be better off using the cameras mini XLR input than that. You just want to argue for the sake of arguing so I'm done. Again.

Return to Cinematography