Strange corruption with Ursa Mini 4.6K and Lexar Cfast 2.0

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

veeralammi

Strange corruption with Ursa Mini 4.6K and Lexar Cfast 2.0

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 9:07 am

I've got a weird corruption/bug in my hands. Googling didn't give me a whole lot of relevant info.

Last week there was a shoot where the crew used Ursa Mini 4.6K (the older model) and Lexar Professional 3500x CFast 2.0 cards (256GB). There have been a few corruptions in the past, mostly due to the card being ejected when the camera was powered up or because someone plucked the card from a reader mid-transfer. Before today, DiskDrill has been able to recover all the lost files.

When transferring the materials after the shoot, the card doesn't show up in Finder. Disk Utility does show the card (but doesn't let you access it). This has happened before, so I checked the card with DiskDrill. DiskDrill was able to recover most of the data, but there are some shots missing.

Shots numbered C001-C010 are okay, but after that we are missing several shots. The numbering continues after C017, and stops at C024. (the cameraperson says they got a few more shots more after this).
DiskDrill recovered files even from previous shooting days (after which the card had already been formatted a few times). But still it didn't find the missing six clips.

What could have caused this? If the card had suddenly just cut off after a certain number of shots I would just assume it had died, but there are shots missing from the middle of the shoot too!

Would you recommend getting a new card, or could this be a camera error? The cameraperson says they didn't do anything out of the ordinary...

rick.lang

Re: Strange corruption with Ursa Mini 4.6K and Lexar Cfast 2

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 pm

When you perform a simple format on a card, you are just affecting the file directory. The files are still all there until you write something to the card. That’s how you find ‘old’ files as Disk Drill scans the entire card for files. Yet files that were recorded after any updates may not be recoverable as portions of the files could still be unlinked due to whatever is causing corruption. In the past you suspect removing cards too soon.

Were there any changes to the codecs being recorded?

Disk Drill cannot recognize all data if it can’t understand the file structure. In the URSA Mini 4.6K, BRAW files are not supported so that shouldn’t be an issue for Disk Drill and you know if you’ve recovered the same file types previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography