BMPCC4K 50/60p HDMI output

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nick Heydon

BMPCC4K 50/60p HDMI output

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:16 am

Hey guys,

I'm in PAL land and having trouble getting a 50p output through the HDMI, does anyone know how to do it?

I have my camera set to 25p in Project Framerate and 50p in the Off-Speed part, yet when I press the HFR button, the camera's internal recordings are indeed 50p, but any external monitoring/recording remains at 25p.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nick

Nick Heydon

Re: BMPCC4K 50/60p HDMI output

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:46 am

Yes this is all to do with HDMI, SSDs record the expected framerate.

This camera can only output 1080p through HDMI. I'm going into a 5" Video Assist which can record 1080p50 - but when I select HFR in camera, I'm recording 50p internally, but the signal from HDMI remains 25p.

I fear I'm missing something in the menu, but since it's all so simple, I can't imagine what I'm missing.

Tim Lota

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:47 am

Since with HFR it's still a 25p project, it could be that the HDMI output doesn't change. Have you tried testing the 50p project setting? Does it output 50p then? Maybe the HDMI is limited to 1080 30p max. since it's just meant for external screens.

Nick Heydon

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 7:01 am

Tim Lota wrote:Have you tried testing the 50p project setting?

Wow that did the trick, so simple. Unfortunately that does mean when shooting with this setup I'll lose that amazing one touch slowmo that I've already become so accustom to, but it's still quicker than a lot of other cameras - around four touches now.

Thanks for the tip!

joe12south

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 2:34 pm

As you've discovered, it's behaving exactly as it should. The project or "base" frame rate defines the playback rate. The HFR setting defines the record rate. The playback rate is used for playback via HDMI.

If your intention is 50 fps as slow motion, then why would you want to monitor at 50P?
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Nick Heydon

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Well, if there's a way to monitor in slow motion, I'd love to - due to physics though that's not possible.

I was hoping that when I want to record slowmo in camera, it records slowmo on my external recorder too.

As found, that is possible, just with 3 or 4 more buttons involved.

Does anyone see a problem with setting my Project FR to 50p and off-speed FR to 25p? If I edit this on a 25p timeline, in theory it'll give me the same result I'm looking for right? Back in the world of 1 touch slowmo.

If I had my camera on me, I'd try it, but sadly it's not with me right now.

joe12south

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:Well, if there's a way to monitor in slow motion, I'd love to - due to physics though that's not possible.

I was hoping that when I want to record slowmo in camera, it records slowmo on my external recorder too.

As found, that is possible, just with 3 or 4 more buttons involved.

Does anyone see a problem with setting my Project FR to 50p and off-speed FR to 25p? If I edit this on a 25p timeline, in theory it'll give me the same result I'm looking for right? Back in the world of 1 touch slowmo.

If I had my camera on me, I'd try it, but sadly it's not with me right now.

Okay, so another question...I'm genuinely curious...why use an external HDMI recorder on a camera that records higher quality files internally?
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Nick Heydon

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm sure there are a number of different uses, but for me:

I film for a TV production company. We edit and broadcast in 1080, but shoot everything 4K for archival reasons. Now, I can encode my footage after a shoot, but very often what I film needs to go on air that day, or the next. If I shoot 4K internal and record 1080 external, I have realtime transcoding. I can even have Braw/LOG/Film archive files and pregraded 1080 files by outputting my LUT on the external recording.

I have a shoot coming up that's going to require a fair amount of slowmo, so trying to work out the best way for that to fit into my system and workflow.

As a worst case, I'll have to shoot 4k ProRes Film, and throw a LUT on the slowmo files, while anything intended for 25p realtime playback has already been done for me on the VA. Unless my tests show that having a project FR of 50p and Off Speed FR of 25p will give me the results I'm hoping for.

I'll try testing tomorrow, and post back here with my findings either way. Could be an interesting workaround for a problem nobody else has issue with haha.

Return to Cinematography