Video Assist 4K - recording formats

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tim_Ashton

Video Assist 4K - recording formats

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 am

Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion or easy reference to what different recording formats equate to on the Video Assist 4K (and the Hyperdeck Studio)?

A lot of our recordings are shot with HD cameras, so there's no point in trying to record massive 4K files. Currently an hour of HD footage is 17GB, whereas the VA is giving us 37GB and the Hyperdeck Studio is 85GB.

On HD edit suites the VA and Hyperdeck footage is giving us quite a headache in terms of time copy files and Premiere encoding.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Thanks,
Tim

Xtreemtec

Re: Video Assist 4K - recording formats

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 11:13 am

When using the same codec and settings, same input signal. The recordings should be roughly the same..

17GB vs 85GB sounds like a different codec selected Because progressive vs interlaced would only bump about twice the datarate. ;)

You don't reference what resolution / framerate / codec / codec settings you used.

Aja Datacalc app says: (try it! it is a handy free app )
1 hour: HD1080 P50
Prores Proxy = 38.74 GB
Prores LT = 86.43GB
Prores HQ = 186.14GB
DNxHD145 = 109.20GB
DNxHD220 = 165.51GB
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tim_Ashton

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks Daniel - you must be the most helpful person I've ever come across on this forum!

Apologies for the lack of detail, I don't have the camera or VA with me (and won't until Monday) but wanted to try and get as much info as I could. I've downloaded the app, and you're right it is excellent.

It's now a matter of working through the different formats and seeing what I can get to match roughly with the same file size, as (I pesume) this should therefore mean I'm recording in a similar format / bit rate. Lots of checking and testing to do.

Many thanks,
Tim

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Also, many HD video cameras record a much higher compressed format, like h.264, so the ProRes files are going to be larger, as they are not as compressed. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography