Anyone put together a list of lenses For Metabones BMPCC4K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

christianscott

Anyone put together a list of lenses For Metabones BMPCC4K?

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Hey guys, has anyone put together a similar list such as the old one which covered vignetting etc over various lenses when using an adapter?

I picked up a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 to pair with my Metabones XL .64 and was surprised to see so much vignetting.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar lens maybe from canon etc that won’t suffer quite so badly?

Yiorgos Tryfonas

Re: Anyone put together a list of lenses For Metabones BMPCC

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm

christianscott wrote:Hey guys, has anyone put together a similar list such as the old one which covered vignetting etc over various lenses when using an adapter?

I picked up a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 to pair with my Metabones XL .64 and was surprised to see so much vignetting.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar lens maybe from canon etc that won’t suffer quite so badly?

Hello Christian. The Sigma 17-50 is an APS-C lenses designed for APS-C sized sensors. Your XL Speedbooster is expecting a larger image circle. You are seeing the very edges of the lens' glass.

All crop factors relative to 35mm photography "Full Frame":
1.9x - your "crop" without any focal reducer
1.6~1.3x APS-C lenses
1.35x - your "crop" with a 0.71x focal reducer
1.2x - your "crop" with a 0.64x focal reducer such as the XL
1x - Full Frame lenses

So technically you would need either a 0.71x focal reducer or larger lenses (full frame). Of course you can zoom in your lenses I suspect from 25ish and on it won't vignette. The 0.71x focal reducer will "crop" in your image anyways so it's not like you are losing anything in the wide end.

I have made a long video explaining all these things, you can check it out if you have time :)

Denny Smith

Re: Anyone put together a list of lenses For Metabones BMPCC

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 4:43 pm

A list of lenses that work, would be much longer than a list of lenses that do not work well.
Short list, most APS/C wide angle lenses and WA zooms used with the 0.64X Speed Booster (requires full frames 135mm lenses), S16 lenses (only useable in HD Widnow mode), Tamron lenses are problematic with a lot of adapters.

But if you stick with native MFT lenses (some reports of the Pana 12-35 vignetting at 12mm with camera in full gate DCS mode), F/T lenses w/adapter (lack AF), any full frame lens adapted with correct adapter (Metabones Speed Booster EF AF issues corrected with latest FW updater), most Nikon and Zeiss ZE/ZF lenses, PL S35 Cine lenses, you should be fine.

Which lens is right for you is something you need to work out. Their are a lot of choices out there. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography