BMPCC4K LCD Hood

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Swissified

Re: BMPCC4K LCD Hood

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 am

Australian Image wrote:It looks like SmallRig is designing a hood for the BMPCC4K screen: https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-sun-h ... -2299.html. They seem to be constantly listening and cooperating with customers for product designs.

And while I'm at it, he's an innovative design for a grip and SSD holder: https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-nato- ... -2270.html.

I am not in the market yet for a cage, but it is companies like this that produce innovations that I would go for. A Grip and SSD holder together saves spave and looks neat once you have the cage, I presume only works with a full cage.
Last edited by Swissified on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swissified

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Australian Image wrote:The link says that it can be used left or right handed and the photos show one being used on both sides.

How right you are, I did not notice that both attachments in the image were the same but left and right. So thanks very much for the link and info. Small Rig would seem the way to go when I get that far.

pnguyen720

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 11:51 pm

Just thought I'd post my experience here with a hood..

I tried this one:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B007GPJ37I

Even though the fit was good on 3 sides using the included velcro, I noticed very little difference out in midday sunshine. It turns out that the highly reflective LCD proved more of a problem than the sunlight coming in from the top or sides.
No way to fix that other than a loupe, I guess.
A matte screen would have been nice.

Randy Walters

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 am

92FF1DDF-2A6B-46CF-8267-CE8726FBC8F6.jpeg
92FF1DDF-2A6B-46CF-8267-CE8726FBC8F6.jpeg (104.47 KiB) Viewed 3187 times

Travis Ward

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 am

Yeah, a hood won't do **** to reduce the brightness of what is reflected in the screen, so they are mostly useless on very bright days.

I love what SmallRig's been doing. I've been using their pieces for awhile and have mostly been happy, though the low quality of their materials is sometimes noticeable (their long Manfrotto plate (that comes with the VCGT-14 shoulder pad) can flex when tightened. It makes it difficult to slide back onto the plate/it sometimes gets stuck. My buddy's Zacuto gear is super rigid and smooth, by comparison.

Still, it's hard to beat the price and the overall designs.
Travis Ward

pnguyen720

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 am

Travis - how will the SmallRig design make it any better since it's the straight on reflection that's the issue?

Randy Walters

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 4:19 am

Has anyone tried using polarized sunglasses to reduce the screen reflection? I don’t have any, but it might be worth getting a cheap pair (though if it worked, I’d need to get a prescription set.)

Or perhaps a sheet of polarized material, mounted as a window on the near side of the hood, away from the screen … this way, you could make sure the polarization was at the best angle for optimum reflection suppression.

https://www.apioptics.com/product-categ ... izer-film/
Last edited by Randy Walters on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randy Walters

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 4:30 am

Australian Image wrote:
Do you have a polarising filter? Try it and see what happens.

I have some large variable ND filters that will do the trick - I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

pnguyen720

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 am

Interesting idea, Randy. Looking forward to hearing how it will work, although I do use touch focus so that might be an issue.

Randy Walters

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 4:45 am

pnguyen720 wrote:Interesting idea, Randy. Looking forward to hearing how it will work, although I do use touch focus so that might be an issue.

That’s why I edited my comment to suggest mounting the polarizing plate away from the screen, on the close side of the hood … leaving room for one’s fingers to touch the screen. I’m thinking it might actually help!

pnguyen720

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 am

Randy Walters wrote:
pnguyen720 wrote:Interesting idea, Randy. Looking forward to hearing how it will work, although I do use touch focus so that might be an issue.

That’s why I edited my comment to suggest mounting the polarizing plate away from the screen, on the close side of the hood … leaving room for one’s fingers to touch the screen. I’m thinking it might actually help!

Ah gotcha. Now that you mention it.. wouldn't those anti glare filters / screen protectors that you put on phones and tablets also work? We already know that they won't mess up touch sensors. I might order some to test out. If it works, I might just stick on the LCD.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 am

pnguyen720 wrote:
Randy Walters wrote:

Ah gotcha. Now that you mention it.. wouldn't those anti glare filters / screen protectors that you put on phones and tablets also work? We already know that they won't mess up touch sensors. I might order some to test out. If it works, I might just stick on the LCD.

It's deja vu all over again. From 7 years ago ...
https://herefortheweather.wordpress.com ... on-on-you/

Cheers.

Randy Walters

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 12:10 pm

I tried holding my polarized ND filter in front of the screen, and it actually did seem to make a (minor) difference in reducing the screen’s reflection.

Trouble is, now there was a *new* reflection off the ND itself. Oy. So all in all, no real worthwhile gain.

Now, if we could get some matte-surface polarizing film … !

pnguyen720

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Deja Vu all over again, Peter. Too funny. Haha.

Thanks for the report, Randy. I ordered some of those anti glare filters and will try it on the LCD to see if it has an effect.

Tim Kraemer

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm

It would be nice if someone made a Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder adapter that would let us use an HDMI connection.

pnguyen720

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 11:30 pm

BTW, tried a Tablet anti-glare filter today out during sunlight hours and it made no difference.

Travis Ward

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 4:49 am

Australian Image wrote:
Travis Ward wrote: (their long Manfrotto plate (that comes with the VCGT-14 shoulder pad) can flex when tightened. It makes it difficult to slide back onto the plate/it sometimes gets stuck.

One reason why I use Arca Swiss plates and clamps throughout is that they are stronger, more precise and far cheaper than Manfrotto plates and clamps.

I've noticed through some YouTube videos that more film makers (not YouTubers) are starting to realise that the Arca Swiss system is superior to the Manfrotto system and changing over.

The Arca Swiss system was designed to carry very heavy stills camera gear and its no slouch when it comes to cine gear. Given that it appears to be a German designed system, I'm surprised that it doesn't get more attention.

I'll have to check that out. Currently using Manfrotto because of the wide compatibility/use, but yeah, I don't like how loose it can get at times.
pnguyen720 wrote:Travis - how will the SmallRig design make it any better since it's the straight on reflection that's the issue?

Sorry, I meant I liked the grip, but the hood is just a hood. They work well if you are getting so close that the hood actually shields your face, but other angles are trickier.
Travis Ward

Return to Cinematography