Proposing an instant tripod to slider QR system

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sandeep Gill

Proposing an instant tripod to slider QR system

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Hey everyone. I have my BMPCC rig tripod-ready (that post and pics here if you want to see). I'm now looking to get my rig from my tripod, including head, straight onto a slider using a QR mechanism. This is what's currently happening:

The slider is attached directly to the bowl mount and then my N8 flat base fluid head attached directly to the slider. But this involves loosening the three screws attaching the bowl adapter to the head to disassemble, and screwing things directly to the bowl adapter then head directly to the slider. Instead I'd like to do this:

With QR. This has a QR adapter between the bowl adapter and the head which means I can lift off the rig, including N8 head (pink), mount the slider to the bowl mount via a QR plate already attached (blue), then the head to the slider also via QR (pink). Would be significantly quicker and no unscrewing of anything.

My questions however are:
1/ Why have I not seen this everywhere? Is it dangerous? Do you lose stability having a QR system inbetween the bowl adapter and head?
2/ Could the head could come loose when connected to the bowl adapter and panning, because the three anti-rotation screws present on the bowl adapter now aren't attached directly to the head?
3/ If possible, do I need a specific QR adapter/plate system to hold this sort of weight? Would this sort of SmallRig QR base plate work, for example?

I've been to WEX and Park Cameras in London this morning but neither had any ideas. My feeling though is that the community here may well know more than them when it comes to video rigging (even though they are very experienced in the world of photography!) Any help would be massively appreciated!

John Griffin

Re: Proposing an instant tripod to slider QR system

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Should be OK as long as you use a good QR system like the Arcs Swiss one. For improved rigidity remove the rubber pads on the plate so you have metal on metal contact.

Sandeep Gill

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Ah thanks John! That's good to know. Glad it's not going to compromise the head stability.
Am I compromising on something else by removing the rubber pads on the QR plate? Gaining rigidity but I assume making something else less ideal?

John Griffin

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 am

Sandeep Gill wrote:Ah thanks John! That's good to know. Glad it's not going to compromise the head stability.
Am I compromising on something else by removing the rubber pads on the QR plate? Gaining rigidity but I assume making something else less ideal?
Friction is reduced so you need to use plenty of clamping force on the attachment screws so make sure you use the 3/8" thread and not 1/4" Most arca plates and clamps come with an allen head bolt so you can apply plenty of force.

Sandeep Gill

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks for the help so far! Taking into account the advice I'm planning on using a Miller Touch and Go plate assembly (because I really like Touch and Go QR systems):

That will attach to the base and I can use the three grub screws to tighten onto the bottom of the assembly:

The plate is this:

so I'm going to get a metalworks to drill and tap a 1/4" thread into the bottom of my N8 head somewhere in the softer black ring where the grub screws usually screw into, to act as, essentially, a locking pin:

Hopefully that solves the unlocking problem while panning.
I'm also going to use some blue threadlocker like Loctite to help.

The Miller plate and assembly should be sturdy enough to hold the 7.2kg/16lbs of weight.

And then I think, I may have a viable solution. Will post update here once I have this done!

Sandeep Gill

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks Ray. Yeah I have used Arca Swiss in the past. I haven't been able to find a plate that was heavy-duty enough that was Arca-Swiss though. I've finally settled on trying this with a Sachtler 1091 Sandwich Touch & Go plate now. Max payload of 35kg so should be more than enough for what I'm looking to do...

John Griffin

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 5:44 am

Sandeep Gill wrote:Thanks Ray. Yeah I have used Arca Swiss in the past. I haven't been able to find a plate that was heavy-duty enough that was Arca-Swiss though. I've finally settled on trying this with a Sachtler 1091 Sandwich Touch & Go plate now. Max payload of 35kg so should be more than enough for what I'm looking to do...

For even a big BMPCC rig the Arca Swiss system will be more than 'heavy duty' enough.

Return to Cinematography