Original Pocket Update???

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jldp

Original Pocket Update???

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm

I was wondering if there was any word of doing an update to the original pocket for Braw?
As well, if anyone from BM is listening, lets please try to squeeze at least like 36fps out of it!
It's time!!!
thank you!

timbutt2

Re: Original Pocket Update???

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Very doubtful. The original Pocket is now legacy like the BMCC2.5K and BMPC4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

lee4ever

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Very doubtful. The original Pocket is now legacy like the BMCC2.5K and BMPC4K.

ProRes, Cinema DNG... is not outdated. The old Pocket as well as ...BMCC2.5K and BMPC4K... are still in professional use. Only Blackmagic Design has made them outdated, because they have launched new cameras on the market. And some of them are no better than the outdated.

Valery Axenov

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 12:58 am

jldp wrote:I was wondering if there was any word of doing an update to the original pocket for Braw?
As well, if anyone from BM is listening, lets please try to squeeze at least like 36fps out of it!
It's time!!!
thank you!

Shoot CinemaDNG 12bit it's simply better for 2K camera without any doubts. Same size files. Tons of discussions here. (Braw is much softer (less resolution). And requires better hardware inside.)

timbutt2

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 am

lee4ever wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:Very doubtful. The original Pocket is now legacy like the BMCC2.5K and BMPC4K.

ProRes, Cinema DNG... is not outdated. The old Pocket as well as ...BMCC2.5K and BMPC4K... are still in professional use. Only Blackmagic Design has made them outdated, because they have launched new cameras on the market. And some of them are no better than the outdated.

When did I ever say "outdated?" I said legacy, which means they are legacy products and thus no longer receiving updates. That has nothing to do with being outdated. It simply means that Blackmagic Design reached the end of their updates for those products.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:28 am

they did make people wait for the easy updatable universal update frame work. and braw mostly uses the stuff already there. so it might be possible easily, as its just some stuff in fpga code and software, shared between cameras.

however, if they do update the firmware, you may loose cdng.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

jldp

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 2:51 am

I think they could at least do the braw, and i bet they could squeeze out a few frames per second.
The reason i ask is im torn, i have so much cool super 16mm glass i was thinking about getting another pocket ( i sold mine for the 4k) or maybe the micro for the 60p. (does the micro do interment frame rates, like 40, 48? i just love the little form factor of the pocket and a handful of batteries, all in my pocket to be able to go shoot something arty.

they should really do one more update :)

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 6:19 am

jldp wrote:I think they could at least do the braw, and i bet they could squeeze out a few frames per second.
The reason i ask is im torn, i have so much cool super 16mm glass i was thinking about getting another pocket ( i sold mine for the 4k) or maybe the micro for the 60p. (does the micro do interment frame rates, like 40, 48? i just love the little form factor of the pocket and a handful of batteries, all in my pocket to be able to go shoot something arty.

they should really do one more update :)

If something can do prores it may well be able to do braw at the same frame rate (think of it as prores like).

There are a number of newer better 1 inch Sony sensors come out. So, the next micro might be what you are looking for. Maybe that is what they are planning, to use the micro instead of original pocket. The pocket 4k then goes into the original Cinema camera size territory (plus both are suitable to be refitted into camcorder form factor.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

jldp

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Australian Image wrote:
jldp wrote:...go shoot something arty.

And if you were able to do that with what you have now, what's stopping you from doing it again?

Size, the new one is all caged up, has to brought in a bag or case, then lenses are much bigger. i just wind up on my phone. i think both are great tools, i now just wish they were compatible with each others format.
little guy deserves on last update!

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 7:17 am

BMD could do a $500 pocket 6k, using the Light sensor modules and processing, which Sony are making for them. Somebody is bound to do something, then BM would have to compete.

You pull a cinema lens image on something a little bigger in top area then a larger sensor, no more add on lens, in a mobile phone lime size, which means you can rig it in a cage case for extra battery, lights, microphone, and still be smaller than a pocket 4k. No need to watch the focus pull, it can be done in post to imitate a variety of famous cine lenses, and as far as reframing, using 4k images from multiple sensors they could calculate more than 8k images apparently, and you might talk about 20 stops re-exposure latitude. So, a 6k pocket might be beyond 12k calculable images. :). I wonder how good though, and if you could calculate out descent 8k images from 2k sensor arrays.

jldp

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 5:50 pm

unfortunately BM probably wont do another pocket for years from now.
i personally still think there is a market for something that actually fits i your pocket that can shoot raw or prores. it's too bad they cant update it to braw for davinici purposes.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Yes, but there should be a new micro coming (though it likely would be too late for a change if it's coming next Nab. However, something smaller than the micro is possible).

Return to Cinematography