UMP G2 Shipping ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AbdoulUK

UMP G2 Shipping ?

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Hey,
Has anyone got any word on likely shipping month for the G2? I’m hoping we haven't gone back to the dark ages of BM release times.

Brian Farmer

Re: UMP G2 Shipping ?

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm

They are shipping! I just got word from my guy if I am still interested in one. Because they are shipping!

Dan Keeble

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Supposedly shipping since 6th April....its' almost 20th April and I've not heard from anyone receiving their camera yet. Are they being shipped individually via rubber dinghys?
www.flud.digital

AbdoulUK

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 9:13 pm

lol I heard they were shipping too and then hear they were still being manufactured, all inside of a few days haha. I'm just eager to get my hands on one.

David Hutchinson

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 10:43 pm

I phoned the UK distributor and they had no idea when they were coming ... but none yet!

Colourberry

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 am

I don't get why there are only 3 videos on YouTube featuring footage from the G2.

That 300fps should be shown off. Not just a couple of shots of waves.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 4:48 am

Shipping means at least the first batch has left the factory. Whether that means one palette has left or one shipping container has left isn’t shared by BMD. They should have reached at least one regional centre and then begins the regional distribution and finally your dealer will receive all or part of their order. The first few to shooters selected by BMD just to get video samples on the internet from people who didn’t even order the camera. There’s a chance by month end the first cameras will appear. In May they’ll be several.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

AbdoulUK

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:15 am

Footage is limited by the shooters who have the camera. When looking at the comments and people asking them to speak about their experience they all seem very hush hush saying a review will come soon. Looking at previous years of beta shooters it was almost like a race to see who could get a review out first, but now its as if there's some secret that can't be revealed just yet

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:21 am

Brian Farmer wrote:They are shipping! I just got word from my guy if I am still interested in one. Because they are shipping!

What, great news.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Emilian Dechev

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 am

Preordered a month ago in Europe, no info from the vendor.

Colourberry

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:14 am

AbdoulUK wrote:Footage is limited by the shooters who have the camera. When looking at the comments and people asking them to speak about their experience they all seem very hush hush saying a review will come soon. Looking at previous years of beta shooters it was almost like a race to see who could get a review out first, but now its as if there's some secret that can't be revealed just yet
I feel like your right. It's making me nervous as I've ordered and already paid for the camera. But I'm sure it will be good but how long.

Grant Petty I'm the launch video said they would be shipping the following week and that was a while ago.

AbdoulUK

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:47 am

Im sure its for good reason and im guessing the betas found a few issues as i guess thats why the cameras are sent out in the first place to select few testers. So ultimately probably a good thing but I wish there was just more clarity from BM about accurate shipping times. Delays dont seem so bad when we’re made aware :) I just hope this means the first batch of cams will be problem free as i dread the whole return process.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:37 pm

I wish they could just make them reliable, and water proof, and I mean proper water proofing. That is a next frontier. I think the pro g2 is too much, but reliability like an Alexa, and water proofing, might not cost that much, but saves everybody heaps of money. With Arri planning a new sensor, it's time to up the ante (I wonder if Arri will get wise, and do 20 stops with better low light?).
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Colourberry

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 am

Wayne Steven wrote:I wish they could just make them reliable, and water proof, and I mean proper water proofing. That is a next frontier. I think the pro g2 is too much, but reliability like an Alexa, and water proofing, might not cost that much, but saves everybody heaps of money. With Arri planning a new sensor, it's time to up the ante (I wonder if Arri will get wise, and do 20 stops with better low light?).

Are Ursa Mini Pros unreliable?

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 2:47 am

Colourberry wrote:I don't get why there are only 3 videos on YouTube featuring footage from the G2.

About 40% of this episode is G2.

https://7plus.com.au/the-resident?episode-id=RESI02-020

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 3:02 am

Colourberry wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:I wish they could just make them reliable, and water proof, and I mean proper water proofing. That is a next frontier. I think the pro g2 is too much, but reliability like an Alexa, and water proofing, might not cost that much, but saves everybody heaps of money. With Arri planning a new sensor, it's time to up the ante (I wonder if Arri will get wise, and do 20 stops with better low light?).

There is reliable, and there is reliable when the metal literally hits the road or something. Ask Alexa owners. If the camera never breaks down, and virtually doesn't need servicing, even if nocked, you have a reliable camera. For solo field work the more the better.

For more advanced water proofing you want more a pocket 4k all in one unit. Mini all in one maybe.

Chris Shivers

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 3:06 am

imma order one a couple months from now, sometime in the fall. Hopefully it's all what it cracked up to be!

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 3:16 am

Colourberry wrote:

I just wrapped a 10 month shoot with five UMP bodies (and 2 x G2 bodies)

In 10 months of daily constant use I've had a couple of menu knobs fall off and needed to tighten the screws in one of the LCD monitors. On the second to last day I think one of the SDI connectors might have failed. I say might, because it started working again after not working for a couple of scenes. (we constantly switch video transmitters in and out so I'm not surprised)

188 shooting days. 1058 seperate scenes. By the way I dind't start the show with them being new. They were "used". Those five bodies had also previously done the first season of the same show...14 episodes / 6 month shoot and a pilot in Chicago....

In just this season I've had to replace and Alexa Mini (was turning off randomly) and separately lost a clip from an Alexa mini which we replaced as a precaution.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Donnell Henry

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 3:41 am

That’s damn reliable if you ask me.
GODS CREATE

Colourberry

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 4:04 am

John Brawley wrote:
Colourberry wrote:I don't get why there are only 3 videos on YouTube featuring footage from the G2.

JB
Awesome thank you.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 6:03 am

Donnell Henry wrote:That’s damn reliable if you ask me.

The Alexa? This is the thing, they have a great reputation, and for reliability you don't want any down time. In field you and the elements in the jungle, what are you going do? Or on set when you can't afford the downtime, or a million a day, you want something close to the most reliable quality camera. If you want your cameras to be taken seriously by the big guys, you have to make it close to the reliability of the most reliable popular quality camera. There use to be a saying nobody ever got died buying Sony. I wonder what they say about Arri.

OK, so you are talking about matching a 10x the price camera for service, what do you do? Verified ultra low defect cameras, and premium service patches. You verify and substitute and verify parts, for every thing to substitute into a careful standard run, you test for the best quality within target in that run, the rest in the run go to the B quality of the quality run, the rest of the cameras are normal cameras from the normal run. The A grade cameras would be $10k or so, the B's half way between the A's and normal cameras. With a premium service pack, hopefully it can be half the price of an Alexa. But you have to change the design of knobs so they don't drop off. Just by spending a few hundred on improving the design of everything, even the normal cameras are going be a lot closer to 100% reliable over the life of the camera. Say you had a score of 10 defects average per camera over 5 years, it may go down to 5 or 2. The A grade might be 1 or much less. If you can get it to 0.1 camera and can knock it around, you have a very reliable camera, a tank.

Now, you can undercut Alexa and make it the go to studio B cam, and lower A cam. But if you can get past the 16 stop barrier and match Alexa throughout the dynamic range with good low light performance, it can become a go to A cam for big productions, but you need to look at 6k-10k to handle the aliasing to give an edge. The pocket then goes 4.6k+. 20 stops plus gives a more mailable image.

Grant says he doesn't do things based on what others do in that interview, but it is about doing the good core/essential things they are doing in competition. You can't just react to competition, but you can outdo them in a good way customers will buy.

Colourberry

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 2:22 am

John Brawley wrote:
Colourberry wrote:

I just wrapped a 10 month shoot with five UMP bodies (and 2 x G2 bodies)

In 10 months of daily constant use I've had a couple of menu knobs fall off and needed to tighten the screws in one of the LCD monitors. On the second to last day I think one of the SDI connectors might have failed. I say might, because it started working again after not working for a couple of scenes. (we constantly switch video transmitters in and out so I'm not surprised)

188 shooting days. 1058 seperate scenes. By the way I dind't start the show with them being new. They were "used". Those five bodies had also previously done the first season of the same show...14 episodes / 6 month shoot and a pilot in Chicago....

In just this season I've had to replace and Alexa Mini (was turning off randomly) and separately lost a clip from an Alexa mini which we replaced as a precaution.

JB

Thanks John for writing that. Thats very reliable.

I personally am not a fan of the Alexa's image finding it a bit muddy but I've never used one. When Alexa came out Sony had F65 but about the same time DP's were having to switch to digital, so of course they turned to the brand they trusted being Arri.

Wayne the reason I asked if Ursa Mini Pros were unreliable was because I hadn't really read anything anywhere to give me that impression. I still hear about Reds not starting but most cameras are pretty reliable.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 6:53 am

Colourberry wrote:Wayne the reason I asked if Ursa Mini Pros were unreliable was because I hadn't really read anything anywhere to give me that impression.

So you're new here?

Reliable depends on the circumstances. With different circumstances there are different expectations to carry you through. What I've heard here doesn't make me think of particular reliability. Knobs falling off even consumer equipment, tends to produce one reaction. At that this price you should need to hack them off, or dismantled them, but I digress, it's about being up and producing quality work as much as possible with least hassles etc. You might not say its an unreliable camera but there are different grades of high reliability.

Colourberry

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
Colourberry wrote:Wayne the reason I asked if Ursa Mini Pros were unreliable was because I hadn't really read anything anywhere to give me that impression.

So you're new here?

Reliable depends on the circumstances. With different circumstances there are different expectations to carry you through. What I've heard here doesn't make me think of particular reliability. Knobs falling off even consumer equipment, tends to produce one reaction. At that this price you should need to hack them off, or dismantled them, but I digress, it's about being up and producing quality work as much as possible with least hassles etc. You might not say its an unreliable camera but there are different grades of high reliability.

I've been reading this forum for a year now and I havent seen any alarming issues with the Ursa line.

A knob falling off after that much hard use is nothing, if anything its a testament that they can be worked that long and hard that the knob wore out.

I'd say we are both equally uninformed as to the true reliability of either camera.

I just wish the UMP came in grey like the Alexa because Black cameras get so hot in the sun in places like Australia.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am

Well white?

I'd say, I've read enough of people's encounters so far that it isn't threatening Alexa in the place which will cement its reputation.

Colourberry

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 12:03 pm

White would be too flashy. How about Tiffany's blue like their boxes :D

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 2:07 pm

.. Or Mauve Pink.

Look at the shoes. :)

AbdoulUK

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 2:20 pm

John Brawley wrote:

JB

Thanks JB,
Did you take advantage of the recording straight to hard drive with the G2?

Colourberry

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 2:20 pm

On that note I think alexa were right to choose grey.

And since seeing that pic black is looking much better now.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 2:42 pm

OK, so no colour change camera jokes.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Francisco Rodriguez

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Can we please get back on topic???

SHIPPING

I think the UMP has been proven again and again to be a very reliable camera.

AbdoulUK

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Francisco Rodriguez wrote:Can we please get back on topic???

SHIPPING

+1

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

It is really too soon, since the announcement of shipping has started, to make any real comments on this camera’s shippjng status. It takes about 30-days for a new camera to get into the distribution chain, once shipping out from the factory. It took the Ursa Broadcast about 60-90 days to make it to the dealers when it was first shipped. I would expect the same time frame for the Ursa Mini Pro 2.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dan Keeble

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 am

Waiting.
www.flud.digital

Willem Timmersma

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:57 am

Not sure if it's legit but I saw someone on ebay selling 3 units.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackmagic-Des ... SwZcZcmlLA

If it is, it might be a good sign.

Colourberry

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:06 am

Willem Timmersma wrote:Not sure if it's legit but I saw someone on ebay selling 3 units.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackmagic-Des ... SwZcZcmlLA

If it is, it might be a good sign.

$2.5K over retail price for a 2 year old camera thats had a spec bump...

I'm looking forward to it but I cant see them selling those at that price.

Willem Timmersma

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 am

No ofcourse, they are just trying to sell it with a great margin because they are ''first''. But If they really got 3 units it might mean the G2's are starting to appear in a distrubution chain.

Chris Shivers

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 2:59 pm

SHIPPING

Talks about staying on topic next sentence is off topic lol

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Just saw a post we’re a recent UM Pro2 purchase has arrived at the dealer and is ready to ship to him.
So, yes, they are starting to arrive at the dealers. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Francisco Rodriguez

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:

SHIPPING

Whatever

Dan Keeble

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Just saw a post we’re a recent UM Pro2 purchase has arrived at the dealer and is ready to ship to him.
So, yes, they are starting to arrive at the dealers. ;)
Cheers

Where did you see this, Denny?

edit : just seen this on bmcuser
www.flud.digital

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 3:59 pm

That was the place
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AbdoulUK

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Do you have a link to the original post?

Dan Keeble

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 4:56 pm

AbdoulUK wrote:Do you have a link to the original post?

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2 ... post262659
www.flud.digital

AbdoulUK

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Thank you :)

Chris Shivers

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 am

Francisco Rodriguez wrote:
Chris Shivers wrote:

SHIPPING

Whatever

it was a joke lmao

Will Vazquez

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 3:31 am

Yep. They are shipping. I just received mine today. The camera no longer comes with a side handle. The LCD is better quality, better color and contrast than G1. The XLR connecters are Neutrik now and not Amphenol as before. The camera feels a little heavier too.

Dan Keeble

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 5:32 am

Will Vazquez wrote:Yep. They are shipping. I just received mine today. The camera no longer comes with a side handle. The LCD is better quality, better color and contrast than G1. The XLR connecters are Neutrik now and not Amphenol as before. The camera feels a little heavier too.

Fantastic. Where are you based Will?

edit : jus seen your post on bmcuser. I really should check that site first each time :lol:
www.flud.digital

Francisco Rodriguez

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 10:31 am

I think the UMP has been proven again and again to be a very reliable camera.[/quote]
Talks about staying on topic next sentence is off topic lol[/quote]

Whatever[/quote]
it was a joke lmao[/quote]

:lol:
Sorry, I get defensive when I'm on the Internet :lol:

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Will Vazquez wrote:Yep. They are shipping. I just received mine today. The camera no longer comes with a side handle. The LCD is better quality, better color and contrast than G1. The XLR connecters are Neutrik now and not Amphenol as before. The camera feels a little heavier too.
Really no side handle?

I got my shipping notice from reseller yesterday and should have G2 in hand soon : )
They'll have one or two more coming soon and told me that no one else is in line for them yet. If anyone wants their contact info, send me a direct message.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/
Next

Return to Cinematography