Ursa Mini Pro - LCD screen flicker

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Emilian Dechev

Ursa Mini Pro - LCD screen flicker

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:32 am

I am experiencing a very odd LCD screen flicker on the UM Pro.

It is a very rare glitch, happens 1 out of 50 times, but when it does, it wont go away by restarting the camera. It just goes away on its own, when it decides to...

The flicker looks like an old CRT monitor, working at 25hz.

It is not a connection issue, I believe, because all kinds of movement / rotation of the screen, do not affect it at all.

The silly thing is, that even if I return it in warranty, the engineers may not ever see that happen, like I said a very rare issue, cant reproduce it at will.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

rick.lang

Re: Ursa Mini Pro - LCD screen flicker

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 am

The next time that happens, if you have another camera available, try to record the flickering screen so you have proof. Call your regional BMD Support anytime to let them know. You want to call them while you are under warranty if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Emilian Dechev

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Didnt cross my mind, thanks for the tip :)

legendproductions

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 8:20 am

Were you able to fix this problem? My camera just started having the same problem.

Mike Potton

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Happens to me 100% of the time when restarting the camera after it’s been on for a while. Intense flickering that slowly dissipates. I sent my camera to BMD for an unrelated issue and mentioned the flicker, they said it was fine. So try to think of it less as a problem and more of a ‘feature’.

Michal Urbanczyk

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 3:44 am

Hi there,

A similar flicker started appearing on my previous Ursa Mini Pro and would be present almost every time I powered it on.
It would disappear after a minute or two.
Unfortunately, after a couple of months it developed into a critical failure, something like black and white stripes flashing on the screen that were also present in the recorded footage.
I think the camera was 2 years old at that time.
I sent it to repair but was informed that it's either PCB or sensor and that camera is not repairable.
I can't say for sure but perhaps the 'odd flicker' is the sign of the imminent?
Wonder if anyone had a similar experience. Maybe it's just a weak transistor? IDK

As a side note, be careful with insurance companies as they mostly don't cover electronic failures (they are considered "standard wear and tear").

Cheers

legendproductions

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 11:28 pm

I experienced the same Problem and sent it to black magic. the first time they said it was a loose screen then sent it back and still there was flickering and I had to send it back a second time. Now they say its water damage so i dont think even Black magic has any idea what is going on with these units. i now have a 8 thousand Dollar camera that is two years old that i can not use.
Not sure how we can go about this
thanks
Stephen

Return to Cinematography