Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4K audio capability

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

m.nick

Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4K audio capability

PostTue May 07, 2019 11:48 am

Blackmagic, please!

Make capability for BPCC4K use 3 or 4 channels audio recording! Camera has 2 stereo inputs - 3.5mm and mini XLR. It will be great if i can record stereo from 2 mics by radio transmitter into 3.5mm jack and stereo/mono into mini XLR at the same time!

And really it will be great 4 channels - 2 for 3.5mm, 1 for miniXLR and 1 for camera mic(for easy audio sync)

I really hope that you can do it, because you made such an incredible camera!

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4K audio capability

PostTue May 07, 2019 4:25 pm

OK, for starters, the XLR input is a balanced mic/line single channel input, you can assign to L or R channel, it is not a stereo input. Only the 1/8/3.5mm input is a stereo input, so if the camera had the hardware, you have 3-channels max. That said, the camera only supports 2-channels of audio recording, on its hardware, so a FW update is not going to change this.

If you need 4-channels or more of audio recorded, then you need to record audio to an external multi-track audio recorder, or use an external” monitor/recorder like the Video Devices PixE (now discontented, but still available used), which can record 4-tracks or more (with its LR unit attached), sync’d to the video output from the camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

m.nick

Re: Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4K audio capability

PostTue May 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Ok, i understand about XLR, sorry)

Are you sure about 2 channels hardware? I'm not trolling, i just want be sure, because I dream about FW with 3 channels audio in Pocket 4K :)

Return to Cinematography